This looks interesting (PBS Hip Hop related)

Comments

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Yes, Tuesday I think ot airs. I'll check it - it definitely looks interesting.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    "Did you just say colored people?"

The white people at the end, it's like the definition of "You sound white." Looks interesting, I hope it's well-done and not cringeworthly like other similar stuff.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    repeating that '70% of rap is bought by white people...' stat w/out citing anything?

the rest of it looks real interesting though.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    repeating that '70% of rap is bought by white people...' stat w/out citing anything?

It's a trailer. I don't doubt it though.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

I always want to know whether stats like those include mixtapes and CDs that never hit retail stores.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0526,kitwana,65332,22.html

No hard demographic study has ever been conducted on hip-hop's consumers. And Nielsen SoundScan, the chief reference source on music sales, by its own admission does not break down its over-the-counter totals by race. "Any conclusions drawn from our data that reference race involve a great deal of conjecture," a SoundScan spokesperson insists.

Wendy Day, founder of the Rap Coalition, a hip-hop artist-advocacy group, says she's attempted to pair up with several popular hip-hop magazines on such a study, but none would commit to help fund it. When she asked an executive at a major record label, she got an even more interesting response: "He didn't see the value in writing that kind of check," she says. "Because rap is selling so well, he didn't see the value in knowing who his market is. 'It's not broken, Wendy,' he said. 'We don't need to fix it.' "

And distinctions must be drawn between buyers and listeners. In terms of hip-hop's listening audience, Nielsen SoundScan doesn't weigh those passing on and burning CDs. (In July 2003 Nielsen SoundScan began tracking companies like iTunes that sell downloads for a fee.) Nielsen SoundScan, which claims to track 90 percent of the market, doesn't take into account underground mixtape CDs, mom-and-pop store sales, or big retailers like Starbucks and Burlington Coat Factory that refuse to share their sales information.

Concert crowds are another matter. Looking for the 70 to 80 percent majority white audience? In most cases you won't find it at a Nelly concert or any other top-selling hip-hop artist's show. At large venues like Detroit's 40,000-capacity Comerica Park, where Eminem and 50 Cent will headline the Anger Management Tour in August, estimates suggest that 50 to 60 percent of the seats are filled by white fans. By contrast, Caucasian concertgoers staring down culturally focused Black hip-hop artists topple these numbers. Although to date there's been no attempt to track concert demographic data, fans, promoters, and independent MCs who play live more than half the year give estimates of 85 to 95 percent.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Parts of that article are kind of silly, like dudes from Zion I saying the reason they aren't platinum is because folks "want that thug shit."

• i didn't watch the trailer, but i recently saw the "Independent Lens" doc about Billy Strayhorn, and it was pretty disappointing. Definitely some worthwhile moments, but overall it left A LOT to be desired.

not sure what this means for the hip-hop doc, but i wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar type situation

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I always want to know whether stats like those include mixtapes and CDs that never hit retail stores.

It's not a real stat at all; it's just a made-up number.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Can you cite a source for that?

• Anybody ever seeen this other one that I think was on BBC in the early 80's or mid 80's. Knew the name for a while then I forgot it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Can you cite a source for that?

Yeah - the Wall St. Journal investigated it as well, besides Kitwana's argument that Deej posted above.

It's one of those stats that someone first noted and then everyone just took for granted and repeated since.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB111521814339424546.html

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    man, im so tired of this kinda shit. Fine, if you wanna go ahead and make a whole movie trashing hip hop. whatever. DOnt sit at the begginning and tell me how your such a fan of it. Just be honest and say you hate it, its okay to not like rap music. Lots of people dont like it. Its just not their thing.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

white people dont buy mixtapes

• Hey, ODub, have you had a chance to see this one? I think it's put out by the same folks as Tough Guise, which you talked about in another thread. I recognize Jackson Katz in the trailer. After watching Tough Guise, I'm curious, but apprehensive.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    man, im so tired of this kinda shit. Fine, if you wanna go ahead and make a whole movie trashing hip hop. whatever. DOnt sit at the begginning and tell me how your such a fan of it. Just be honest and say you hate it, its okay to not like rap music. Lots of people dont like it. Its just not their thing.

How can you not see this is beyond hip hop?

Its just such a tired argument. Its like "look at how obsessed we are with violence" wow. In what previous point in history has humanity ever been not extremely fucking violent. I bet they liked to sing about it back then too. big deal.

I dont know day, im sure he has more than a few valid points over the course of the whole thing, but i really dont see how shit like this is really adding anything to the discussion at this point. I mean by the end of the trailer were back to the same old "bitches and hoes" argument again. Then the customary shots of the whitest white people available saying some pretty white things about black people and black music and blam, you got your pbs special. how insightful.

you feel what im saying at all?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    this seems like it would be Soulstrut kryptonite.

A documentary about hip-hop that focuses on how elements of it are fetishized by dudes who need to identify with hypermasculine imagery and ideas.

he who doth protest loudest, doth show thine skirt the most

I'M SO WATHCING THIS!

Uh oh, guzzo showed up. Im so out of here.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Its just such a tired argument. Its like "look at how obsessed we are with violence" wow. In what previous point in history has humanity ever been not extremely fucking violent. I bet they liked to sing about it back then too. big deal.

I dont know day, im sure he has more than a few valid points over the course of the whole thing, but i really dont see how shit like this is really adding anything to the discussion at this point. I mean by the end of the trailer were back to the same old "bitches and hoes" argument again. Then the customary shots of the whitest white people available saying some pretty white things about black people and black music and blam, you got your pbs special. how insightful.

Definitley, but you're only looking at one aspect of what the whole story is about.

This is more about the struggles of indentity with young black men and feeling a need to conform with what's percieved as "black". And I would honestly say there is a direct correlation between that and rap.

I had a very similar conversation about this not long ago and I can tell you that the feeling, at least with some people, is very real.

Definitley, but you're only looking at one aspect of what the whole story is about.

This is more about the struggles of indentity with young black men and feeling a need to conform with what's percieved as "black". And I would honestly say there is a direct correlation between that and rap.

I had a very similar conversation about this not long ago and I can tell you that the feeling, at least with some people, is very real.

Oh. I didnt really get that from the trailer. I heard it talking about how america is obsessed with violence and machismo and then throwing in a few shots at president bush just for good measure. But i will take your word on it. I would be checking it out, if i had a t.v. still.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Day, thanks, one of the best threads I've read in a long long while!

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    This shit looks terrible.

Anyone see the CBC sponsored Clifton Joseph-made special about how hip-hop, once pure and pristine, has been turned ugly and commercial by corporate interests? ahahhaha. It was awful.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I'd like to think PBS would be too smart for this. Guess I'm wrong.

• Nielsen SoundScan, which claims to track 90 percent of the market, doesn't take into account underground mixtape CDs, mom-and-pop store sales, or big retailers like Starbucks and Burlington Coat Factory that refuse to share their sales information.

Am I missing something? Starbucks and Burlington Coat Factory sell rap?

• Why isn't anyone talking about Busta? He seemed to freak when asked about homophobia.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Why isn't anyone talking about Busta? He seemed to freak when asked about homophobia.

he didnt want to hardaway himself!

Really?

I haven't watched this, but I've seen Busta say onstage that he doesn't diss gay people and that he appreciates his gay fans.

Then again, I've also read about him saying some unpleasant things about his babymoms and her lesbian lover.

• on a related PBS Hip Hop note, I bring you...

<object enableJSURL="false" enableHREF="false" saveEmbedTags="true" allowScriptAccess="never" allownetworking="internal" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data=" height="350" width="425"><br />  <param name="movie" value=" /><br />  <param name="allownetworking" value="internal" /><br />  <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" /><br />  <param name="enableJSURL" value="false" /><br />  <param name="enableHREF" value="false" /><br />  <param name="saveEmbedTags" value="true" /><br /></object>  

reading raaaaiinbow

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    one of my coworkers is convinced busta is on the dl

• one of my coworkers is convinced busta is on the dl

This has been a hot rumor for years now.