dancefloor fela

Comments

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    who's got a copy of expensive shit for me? hmmmmm, did that come out right? seriously. pm me.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

Hmmm...maybe this was the Fela track that I and other people went nuts to when Rich spun at the Squarebiz Roy Ayers tribute last year. I need to do some follow-up research on that, because whatever it was must be copped.

Tone, was that a regular gig you did or just a one-off?

drewz,it was a houseparty, spontaneous come through in the clutch for a friend bizness. was real dope, people dancing till 6am madness. there was this slammin kinda native american looking girl with a short mohawk who kept it live till the lights went up. apparently she is a reverend in north philly.
    they want to do another this summer, ill give a shout if it happens

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Hmmm...maybe this was the Fela track that I and other people went nuts to when Rich spun at the Squarebiz Roy Ayers tribute last year. I need to do some follow-up research on that, because whatever it was must be copped.

Tone, was that a regular gig you did or just a one-off?

drewz,it was a houseparty, spontaneous come through in the clutch for a friend bizness. was real dope, people dancing till 6am madness. there was this slammin kinda native american looking girl with a short mohawk who kept it live till the lights went up. apparently she is a reverend in north philly.
    they want to do another this summer, ill give a shout if it happens

did you get the reverend's digits?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    it might be too slow but "this is sad" has got a good mid tempo thang going. people get down to it at the right time

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Masters at Work Expensive Shit 12" from the Our Time is Coming LP

the irony of dudes who command ??37000 for a gig doin mixes of Expensive Shit is

how is that possible? you would have get 5000 people in the club.

Honestly Masters at Work are worth every dime. I only started getting into them about 4-5 years ago when they had a tuesday night party here in New York at a place called centrofly. But I can say year round, in any weather the place was packed wall to wall. And I dont mean any regular party. No peeps standing around, nobody up against the wall or trainspotting. I mean peeps just dancing heavily for hours, latin folks, black folks, white folks. The reworks, productions, remixes are constant. Atleast two official releases a month for how long now? I got the chance to meet these dudes at WMC at total class acts. Oh and I got the box set and the 45's are on point. I think I can now a dozen or so cats getting paid double this and not bringin it like they are.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I think I can now a dozen or so cats getting paid double this and not bringin it like they are.

what DJ's are getting paid in the ??74k range out of curiousity???

pounds sterling yo.. not USD.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    there was this slammin kinda native american looking girl with a short mohawk who kept it live till the lights went up. apparently she is a reverend in north philly.

Tony, please post pics.

Also, hope there were no 'bladder issues' this time.

there was this slammin kinda native american looking girl with a short mohawk who kept it live till the lights went up. apparently she is a reverend in north philly.

Tony, please post pics.

Also, hope there were no 'bladder issues' this time.

bladder. haha

i didnt take any pics. i'll see if some surface in the next few days

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Almost anything by Fela will work on the dancefloor. The man made music for all night jams.

Anyone who hasn't already should watch "Our Music Is The Weapon" (or something like that), truly marvelous shit.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Almost anything by Fela will work on the dancefloor. The man made music for all night jams.

Anyone who hasn't already should watch "Our Music Is The Weapon" (or something like that), truly marvelous shit.

Totally agree.

I just got it back after loaning it to a friend for months and watched it again.

Dude gets my respect no doubt.

Also, I've played "Water Get No Enemy" out a couple times with good reactions. Last time was early at the gig but this couple danced by themselves to the whole million minutes of it and then came up and asked me what it was.

Dude gets my respect no doubt.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

COSIGN!!! shit blew me away. the live footage, yes. but the street scenes and the parts where fela's chilling backstage with those ladies?

"Lady" has worked on the dancefloor many times for me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i play fela at work all the time and it scares the old people out

are they colonialists?

someone said goslow....reminded me of upside down : real uptempo and the keys and sax are rediculous and the lady singing is perfect

more fela more fela more fela more fela

anyone drop antibalas at all in their sets?
    i threw n.e.s.t.a down a couple tracks after watergetno enemy and it kept the fire burning.
    im not trying to get into a antibalas legitimate/nonlegit discussion, just checking in on what gets play on your dancefloors

i vaguely recall festivals happening for fela's birthday. anyone been to one?

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    That record he did with Ginger Baker in 78 (?) has some fire on it for dancing too, if I remeber correctly.

I feel the man??s music moves you if you want to or not. When I first heard "Expensive Shit" I couldn??t help movin and groovin!

- J

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I feel the man??s music moves you if you want to or not.
    - J

Heh - funny that the only movement I usually see when a Fela track gets dropped is straight to the bar.

I guess it just doesn't sit as strong next to funk 45's in a main set.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    now ive seen fela records ignite dancefloors on many occasions (whatup rich!)
    and i dropped "waterget no enemy" and got a explosive reaction at 3:30am on saturday. whassyour top fela burners in your opinions experience

always musch respect to fela, byt the way [/quo

both sides of the Mr. Follow Follow LP work nice early in the sets.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I feel the man??s music moves you if you want to or not.
    - J

Heh - funny that the only movement I usually see when a Fela track gets dropped is straight to the bar.

It must be a regional thing - cuz like I said, drop any Fela in any club around here and you'll get this reaction as well

I'd hope things would be different if it were a house party of folks I know though...

• Options

Maybe your don't have the right transitional pieces or your funk 45's are too weak.

K.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Maybe your don't have the right transitional pieces or your funk 45's are too weak.

K.

I nearly spilt tea all over the monitor there!! That's the funniest laugh I've had all day. Thanks!!!

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

I can't recall any Fela track failing on a Toronto dancefloor before????

K.

what??? not even a secret squirrel b-side or something. makes no sensse.

i've always pondered the rich medina all fela spin. dude has to be quick mixing that shit, otherwise it would be like "yo i got 7 records to play this evening ladies and gentlemen".

one fela tune i've played out is the flip side of zombie. what's that tune???

fela is really good for sex.

PS- damn kevin, you can't just show motherfuckers pictures of that geraldo pino album. you should repress that or something. fiending..........

are they colonialists? fo sho.

anyone drop antibalas at all in their sets?

staple of my sets is the antibalas makossa mix of "che che cole"

that said, i guess the group was on tour when this tune was recorded. more of a gabriel roth endeavor than a pure antibalas tune. got a test pressing signed by gabe roth 1973.

don't forget about the daktaris. no secret, but that record is just unfadeable.

soulstrut's own Olski also released this Massak 12". 1st time around i didn't feel it, but lord it is a banger. also check for that soulfire issue "b.l.a." from them. pressed straight from cassette demo and hardquore.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I love playing Igbe(na shit) of the Gentleman album. (By the way, there's a magician on the cover of my copy, but I heard there's one with a monkey on it. Anybody know the deal?)
    But if you really want dancefloor madness, and people are hype enough, Zombie is the one.

• Options
    Not even Miles droping OG african 7's nobody has ever heard before (that seems to spur crowd more than hinder it). All the Bump and Hustle's, MOvement's, Turning Point's, Footprints - even Paul E gig's at Lola's lounge, can't remember one failure (and I take note of such things).

K>

• Options

K.

I nearly spilt tea all over the monitor there!! That's the funniest laugh I've had all day. Thanks!!!

IF you remembered that it failed, you must be able to remember what you played next to it?

K.

• Options

I can't recall any Fela track failing on a Toronto dancefloor before????

K.

what??? not even a secret squirrel b-side or something. makes no sensse.

i've always pondered the rich medina all fela spin. dude has to be quick mixing that shit, otherwise it would be like "yo i got 7 records to play this evening ladies and gentlemen".

one fela tune i've played out is the flip side of zombie. what's that tune???

fela is really good for sex.

PS- damn kevin, you can't just show motherfuckers pictures of that geraldo pino album. you should repress that or something. fiending..........

You ever heard the Cristy Essien stuff with Pino's band backing her up? Disco fire!

I'm in the preliminary stges of setting upa label with Danno, so maybe...

K.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    staple of my sets is the antibalas makossa mix of "che che cole"

No doubt. That 12" is fiyah! Both versions rock the dancefloor. Co-sign on Massak as well. "B.L.A." is with me everytime I play.

Concerning Fela and crowd response; when I play his shit the reaction is always good to fantastic, so I guess it's a regional thing. Real crowds know the deal. If people can't dance to some mid-to uptempo Fela, they must be zombies

I'm in the preliminary stges of setting upa label with Danno, so maybe...
    K.

DO-IT-DO-IT-DO-IT-DO-IT-DO-IT-DO-IT.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    IF you remembered that it failed, you must be able to remember what you played next to it?

K.

Unfortunately not cos as I said earlier, I don't own a single Fela album so it wouldn't have been me that played any track. In my experience Fela doesn't work in a club environment except for an extended warmup, and then if he is dropped midway through the night, the dancefloors have used it for an excuse of a breather and a trip to the bar. So usually it would be up to me to bring the dancefloor back, which I seem to do fairly easily. So I guess you could say job done to Fela, for providing backdrop music for people to rest to!

I got rid of all my Fela LP's a long time ago and got some nice trades for them - highly overrated, self indulgent music in my opinion, but these things help make the world go round, eh?

• Options
    Yeah you're right - music about government corruption is pretty self indulgent.

K.

I got rid of all my Fela LP's a long time ago and got some nice trades for them - highly overrated, self indulgent music in my opinion, but these things help make the world go round, eh?

wow. belson, buddy. daam