Anyone know what happened to this dude?

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Last I heard he had given up music and was preaching?"Serve this Royalty"....."Eric Burdon".....

Comments

• "Serve this Royalty"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Last I heard he had given up music

That is good news, indeed.

• Last I heard he had given up music

For a second I thought I was reading the thread about theMack!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i was just think about this!

"bitch, im broke" was a classic.

For a second I thought I was reading the thread about theMack!

TheMack lacks the deep reserve of inner peace required of a man of god.

"Where is Cody ChesnuTT?

Cody has been living life in its momentary expression as a husband, a father, and a student of God. Life has been his muse, his wife; his child, the earth, wind, and the sun are his text book. During this time he has created a multimedia video and soundtrack entitled The Last Adam and a new collection of songs entitled The Live Release. The Live Release is a unique experiment in music, an exercise of the living word. In essence Cody is releasing his new project anew on stage for his audience. Cody has assembled this body of work in the tradition of the African story tellers and his audience is a part of a camp fire circle. Cody will often ask the audience not to clap in between songs; his intent is to tell a story, share a fluid continuous expression. Todays Cody ChesnuTT is an expression of pure art; pure expression in its purest form. A man, an instrument, and the living word. "

Why am I not surprised?

You're tripping man.....that's a great album.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

"Where is Cody ChesnuTT?

Cody has been living life in its momentary expression as a husband, a father, and a student of God. Life has been his muse, his wife; his child, the earth, wind, and the sun are his text book. During this time he has created a multimedia video and soundtrack entitled The Last Adam and a new collection of songs entitled The Live Release. The Live Release is a unique experiment in music, an exercise of the living word. In essence Cody is releasing his new project anew on stage for his audience. Cody has assembled this body of work in the tradition of the African story tellers and his audience is a part of a camp fire circle. Cody will often ask the audience not to clap in between songs; his intent is to tell a story, share a fluid continuous expression. Todays Cody ChesnuTT is an expression of pure art; pure expression in its purest form. A man, an instrument, and the living word. "

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    When you spell your last name "ChesnuTT" is goes without saying that you live a life of pure art and expression.

Anyone ever catch this small indie flick Charlotte Sometimes (I think that is the title), where Cody appears in a few performances in a bar? It's not a bad little flick about some melodramatic Asian American love triangle.

"Where is Cody ChesnuTT?

Does this mean I can catch him at a campfire near me soon?

Dood's out there....and not every song he makes is great....but he really nails it sometimes. For what it is and how it was made, I quite enjoy "The Headphone Masterpiece".

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

"Where is Cody ChesnuTT?

straight up bullshit.... notice to Cody and other pseudo- artsy fartsy musicians "Your shit is played"........

• straight up bullshit.... notice to Cody and other pseudo- artsy fartsy musicians "Your shit is played"........

Prediction: Young Phonics' reply will be entitled: When the Kufi Slaps Back.

Why am I not surprised?

If you wanna stroke your chin and tell yourself that the torture a musical incompetent is inflicting on your ears is "great," then the joke's on you--ChestnuTT himself is probably laughing.

straight up bullshit.... notice to Cody and other pseudo- artsy fartsy musicians "Your shit is played"........

I don't think even Young Headwraps-n-Incense would attempt to make excuses for this dude.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I don't think even Young Headwraps-n-Incense would attempt to make excuses for this dude.

This is a FANTASTIC chain right here.

Also, I thought this thread was going to be a Birdman/Clipse "What Happened To that Boy" appreciation thread. Brrrrrrrr...

Why am I not surprised?

If you wanna stroke your chin and tell yourself that the torture a musical incompetent is inflicting on your ears is "great," then the joke's on you--ChestnuTT himself is probably laughing.

LOL.

I dunno...you don't think any of these songs are good:

"Serve this Royalty"
    "Eric Burdon"
    "Can't Get No Betta"
    "If We Don't Disagree"

So hateful man. The record has it's charms, the lo fidelity being one of them for me.

"musical incompetent"....please to link your musical releases and/or critical writings you've been paid for.

Why am I not surprised?

LOL.

"Serve this Royalty"
    "Eric Burdon"
    "Can't Get No Betta"
    "If We Don't Disagree"

So hateful man. The record has it's charms, the lo fidelity being one of them for me.

"musical incompetent"....please to link your musical releases and/or critical writings you've been paid for.

I never held myself out as a professional musician; ChestnuTT has.

Seriously, dude, you do realize that this guy's career is an elaborate piece of performance art and that he has great contempt for his fans' level of intelligence and discernment, don't you?

Why am I not surprised?

LOL.

"Serve this Royalty"
    "Eric Burdon"
    "Can't Get No Betta"
    "If We Don't Disagree"

I never held myself out as a professional musician; ChestnuTT has.

Seriously, dude, you do realize that this guy's career is an elaborate piece of performance art and that he has great contempt for his fans' level of intelligence and discernment, don't you?

^^^^^^"career" should've been in quotes; I could at least respect a moderately successful huckster.

• I don't think even Young Headwraps-n-Incense would attempt to make excuses for this dude.

Ugh. Of course he's a goofball (Cody). Goofballs need love to and some of em even write a good song every 4 or 5 ones.

• There are a handful of really good songs peppering the sprawl that
    is The Headphone Masterpiece. I think that 'nuTT has strengths in
    songwriting, both in melody and unique lyric composition.

The above quoted press-release though is a stand-alone work of art
    that requires no contextualization. Anyone can enjoy it.

In essence Cody is releasing his new project anew on stage for his audience.

Lesser artistes' press releases would simply read:

"Since no label will touch him, he has gone back to playing coffeehouses
    in Florida."

• I never held myself out as a professional musician; ChestnuTT has.

Hmmm. Not really. Got a link? I thought it was "failed major label artist crafts bedroom release that sees wide distribution thanks to the interwebs. 2cds that woulda made one nice 40 minute album". I'm interested to peak behind the curtain though.

Like I said...I thought he was flaky. I don't listen to much new soul so I found this one enjoyable. Not saying he's the next D'Angelo or anything.

• For what it is and how it was made, I quite enjoy "The Headphone Masterpiece".

exactly. i think the dude made the whole album in his room, probably at his grandmother's house. there are some quality songs and some really awful ones. the dude is definitely out there, and not Andre from Outkast out there, but like "why must i cry" out there (or if anyone saw I love New York last night...). regardless, he sounds great on "the seed" and on a few of his album cuts.

• 'nuTT

Lesser artistes' press releases would simply read:

"Since no label will touch him, he has gone back to playing coffeehouses
    in Florida."

When my buddy and I went to see The Roots, we walked into the venue and were immediately struck by how bad the opening act was. It was Cody Chestnutt.

• subsub 311 Posts

When my buddy and I went to see The Roots, we walked into the venue and were immediately struck by how bad the opening act was. It was Cody Chestnutt.

really? i saw him as support act for the last black eyed peas tour before they got wack and this show was dope. but maybe i only thought so cus i like the album (at least most parts of it)

• really? i saw him as support act for the last black eyed peas tour before they got wack[/b]

[faux]please be serious[/faux]

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

really? i saw him as support act for the last black eyed peas tour before they got wack[/b]

You mean before they started making music?

For real, I liked Cody's album.

• straight up bullshit.... notice to Cody and other pseudo- artsy fartsy musicians "Your shit is played"........

i never heard that album. At the time I was only into Pete Rock and Jay Dilla type Kufi RAP and wouldn't be bold enough to buy something like that.

• Thank you Jesus for my momma / Thank you bitches for my money

that cody album had a couple real gems scattered amongst the fuzz and general fuck around-ery.

(full disclosure: once noz was selling a 12" from headphone masterpiece that the bidding got too high on - i asked him to rip me the bside, which turned out to be a HIDEOUS pseudo-house monstrosity. i was embarrassed.)

cody has a new track on this "Plague Songs" compilation that's not too shabby

(full disclosure: once noz was selling a 12" from headphone masterpiece that the bidding got too high on - i asked him to rip me the bside, which turned out to be a HIDEOUS pseudo-house monstrosity. i was embarrassed.)

This would be the one where Noz decorated the 12" sleeve in magic marker, hoping to enhance its desirability?