The Mingering Mike Book

Comments

• Dori,

What's Mike up to these days?

Life continues as usual for Mingering Mike.. He seems to work all the time. He's made a special effort not to let any of this go to his head.

Tonight I hope to be giving him his first copy of the book, which he hasn't even seen yet.

Can't wait to see the look on his face!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    This is awesome. I can't wait to see the book.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Doron let me check the first mock-up last time he was out west and it was
    very impressive to say the least. I hope you won all your design battles, although
    their really weren't too many.
    I'm excited to see the final product.
    Congrats D!

• Wow! Good job..it looks great!

• DOPE SCHITT. Too bad it won't be available for X-mas... i'd scoop up about 10 copies to stick up under people's trees. Maybe in the spirit of the Mingering phenomenon I could just draw fake versions of the book on pieces of cardboard and give those to my friends as xmas gifts perhaps?

CONGRATS and much success to the Mingerer. Hope he's getting some decent change off of this book... maybe he can even reduce his work hours a lil bit. Would be nice...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Dori did 100% of the work on this book. This was serious time intensive work that required Dori's excellent negotiating skills and patience. The results of his hard work and passion for Mingering Mike's work and vision are so evident in this book. The layout, the writing by Dori, Neil, Jane and especially, Mingering Mike, and having the whole collection in front of you like that is perfect. Just perfect. I am so grateful to be associated with any part of this wonderful story.

Records so rare, they don't even exist yet.

• I've been witness to all of Dori's hard work and headaches to bring this book to fruition. Let me just say that Mike could'nt have been luckier than to have the art end up with a better, more sincere, and dedicated individual at the helm.

Dori, congratulations my dude.

Dori is that dude.

Congrats man! I will definitely copping this when it's out.

cheers man. been a long time.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've been witness to all of Dori's hard work and headaches to bring this book to fruition. Let me just say that Mike could'nt have been luckier than to have the art end up with a better, more sincere, and dedicated individual at the helm.

Dori, congratulations my dude.

• Mingering mike was how i found soulstrut. i will be purchasing this book.

Same here. Can't wait to check out the book (and the t-shirt designs).

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    For some odd reason I draw a correlation between Mingering Mike and Henry Darger. Perhaps its the come-upness of it all.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Henry Darger
    Mike's not a child molester.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Henry Darger

Yeah, Darger was a straight up weirdo; whereas I think most people on this board can probably identify with Mike's obsessions, even if we don't take them as far as he did.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Henry Darger

Yeah, Darger was a straight up weirdo; whereas I think most people on this board can probably identify with Mike's obsessions, even if we don't take them as far as he did.

I can also tell you that this book will be of interest to a wide variety of people on many levels. My wife, who is in no way impressed with much of anything record-related, was seriously interested in the artwork, and probably more interested in it as the story of a DC kid who created his own world. There are several stories told in this book, and all of them are pretty intriquing and fateful.

So spread the word, it ain't just for record nerds, this is some universal shit!

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Congrats, Dori!!!

What's the official "street date"?

• yeah, fa'real. i would put those in mad hanukkah socks and kwanzaa sacks.
    cant wait

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Henry Darger

But both of their collections were inadvertently discovered. That's more of the correlation for me.

• Congrats, Dori!!!

What's the official "street date"?

Thanks dude- unfortunately it won't be in stores until May 1.

But expect a big ass book release party/gallery show in both DC & NY at around that time.

I gave Mike his copy today and he was speechless. I think it's gonna take a minute for it to sink in. Shit, I can still barely believe it myself!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Incredible! Since the book won't be available to the general public until May 1, the NYT is kind of jumping the gun on the hype machine, but it's still NEWS THATS FIT TO PRINT!!!

Congratulations,
    JRoot

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Dori, this is really great. Be sure to keep us posted!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I just got a copy in the mail from Princeton Press and seriously...it is goddamn

Initially, I figured, "this will be cool since I've seen a lot of his art before and this collects it together" blah blah blah but the book - as a catalog, in putting all these pieces together - seriously makes you realize how INSANELY FUCKING CRAZY AND AMAZING Mike's self-created record world was.

People really, really, really, really need to have this book in their life. You don't have to be a record hound to appreciate it (though it helps)...I think you could show this to anyone who has an interest in art and the human imagination and they'll be blown away.

http://www.papress.com/bookpage.tpl?isbn=156898569X&cart=11739314041847516

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    NEED THIS NOW

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    d**i showed me this a few weeks back at the umd show and it does indeed look fucking great. i can't wait to look at it in greater depth.

I can't remember if I preordered or not.

Powells doesn't have it until May! I can get it from Princeton right now?

• Powells doesn't have it until May! I can get it from Princeton right now?

Hey Dan! The book actually won't be available in stores until May 1st .. Spanky must have received an advance review copy. But you can pre-order it on Amazon at a pretty good discount.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    won't be available in stores until May 1st ..

Shit, thats my birthday. I think I know what I will be asking for.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    But you can pre-order it on Amazon at a pretty good discount.

not that it matters, as i will order this anyway, but Amazon is listing the book as 'paperback'. will it come out in both hard/soft cover, or is this just a generic term Amazon is using? I would rather a hard cover if there will be 2 formats.

this book will be awesome. congrats.

• But you can pre-order it on Amazon at a pretty good discount.

not that it matters, as i will order this anyway, but Amazon is listing the book as 'paperback'. will it come out in both hard/soft cover, or is this just a generic term Amazon is using? I would rather a hard cover if there will be 2 formats.

this book will be awesome. congrats.

I fought hard for a hardback, but budget constraints wouldn't allow it. Maybe the 2nd edition..