Fuck George Allen

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
New 'N Word' Woe For George Allen[/b]RICHMOND, Va., Sept. 26, 2006 (CBS/AP) A noted political scientist joined one of Sen. George Allen's former college football teammates in claiming the senator used a racial slur to refer to blacks in the early 1970s, a claim Allen dismisses as "ludicrously false."Larry J. Sabato, one of Virginia's most-quoted political science professors and a classmate of Allen's in the early 1970s, said in a televised interview Monday that Allen used the epithet.Sabato's assertion came on the heels of accusations by Dr. Ken Shelton, a radiologist who was a tight end and wide receiver for the University of Virginia in the early 1970s when Allen was quarterback. He said Allen not only used the n-word frequently but also once stuffed a severed deer head into a black family's mailbox.http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/26/politics/main2039589.shtml

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    New 'N Word' Woe For George Allen[/b]

RICHMOND, Va., Sept. 26, 2006 (CBS/AP) A noted political scientist joined one of Sen. George Allen's former college football teammates in claiming the senator used a racial slur to refer to blacks in the early 1970s, a claim Allen dismisses as "ludicrously false."

Larry J. Sabato, one of Virginia's most-quoted political science professors and a classmate of Allen's in the early 1970s, said in a televised interview Monday that Allen used the epithet.

Sabato's assertion came on the heels of accusations by Dr. Ken Shelton, a radiologist who was a tight end and wide receiver for the University of Virginia in the early 1970s when Allen was quarterback. He said Allen not only used the n-word frequently but also once stuffed a severed deer head into a black family's mailbox.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/26/politics/main2039589.shtml

You're only now realizing how colossal a prejudiced asshole this guy was?

I was bashing on Allen when he was underground

• dayday 9,611 Posts

You're only now realizing how colossal a prejudiced asshole this guy was?

No. After reading yet another, even worse thing, I felt like saying fuck him.

• Sen. Allen On The N-Word: "I Don't Think That There's Anyone Who Grew Up In The South That Hasn't Had That Word Pass Through Their Lips At One Time"...

Democratic Senate challenger Jim Webb declined to say definitively Tuesday whether he had ever used a common derogatory term to describe blacks, stepping carefully after watching his campaign rival confront charges of racism.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The fact that a man of blatant and complete ignorance
    can be elected to such high office depresses me painfully.

That "macaca" video went well beyond his use of the word -
    the way in which he was so crassly condescending to a person
    based solely on their ethnicity was beyond belief.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

This is no defense of George Allen but seriously, politicians like Allen are not the exception, he's the rule.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

This is no defense of George Allen but seriously, politicians like Allen are not the exception, he's the rule.

All too true, unfortunately. This was news to me though, so I posted it.
    The frightening thing which I've said before is, I wouldn't be surprised if he still one.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

mmmm...I know what you are saying, and I agree to a certain degree,
    but as I said, the macaca video shows someone not even slightly
    capable of any behavior beyond blatant ignorance & intolerance.
    Even most of the politicians we know to be pure evil are able to conduct
    themselves in public with decency - not that masking ignorance is any
    better than wearing it on your sleeve, but this guy is on a whole other
    level of throwback bigotry.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

but this guy is on a whole other
    level of throwback bigotry.

• Sen. Allen On The N-Word: "I Don't Think That There's Anyone Who Grew Up In The South That Hasn't Had That Word Pass Through Their Lips At One Time"...

Except for the fact that he grew up in California....

• so are u saying that in the last decade Byrd has displaed the bars & stars,
    met with Council of Conservative Citizens (CCC),
    fought against MLK Jr holiday,
    supported a Confederate history month with no mention of slavery,
    displayed a noose in his office,
    etc

he may be an old coot (Byrd)
    but i think his transgressions are far removed
    from the hear & now

etc

from the hear & now

Byrd was also a product of his environment. Allen on the other hand had a priveledged Southern California upbringing, and has apparently spent his entire adulthood aspiring to balls-out, Confederate flag cracker transvestism. Both weird and pathetic.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I'm sad that this is taking away from discussing how he's done nothing for VA in the Senate. Seriously. Nothing.

But it looks like the Dems are finally learning some things from Rove.

• Sen. Allen On The N-Word: "I Don't Think That There's Anyone Who Grew Up In The South[/b] That Hasn't Had That Word Pass Through Their Lips At One Time"...

Allen didn't grow up in the South!!! That is what is so revolting about him. He grew up in Cali where his father coached the Rams. He adopted this bullshit southern accent as a politician, more outrageous is how the dude actually wears fucking cowboy boots under his suit!!! i am not making this up. Webb clowns him every day by wearing his son's army boots under his own suit. The reason he does this is as follows (in my opinion): first, Webb has served and Allen has not. second, Allen is a proponent of the war, yet his son did not serve in Iraq, and Webb's has. third, the whole cowboy boot bullshit. Webb is genuine, while Allen is a racist, poser.

so are u saying that in the last decade Byrd has displaed the bars & stars,
    etc

from the hear & now

Nope...I'm saying he was in the KKK

etc

from the hear & now

For real. Fuck that piece of shit.

I don't give a fuck how long ago. There's no excuse for that EVAR!

• meshmesh 925 Posts

RICHMOND, Va.

wecome to my town.

on the real, not everyone is like this, but there is certainly racism that goes on. from all sides.

regardless, fuck george allen. dudes a POS to the highest power.

etc

from the hear & now

f byrd
    he was in the klan for a year or 2 in the early 40's

i still don 't see how that relates to allen's on going racist crap
    in va
    in 2006

it doesn't. it's the sound of weakness and incompetence.

but that's all they have because if they focused the debate on performance, all these fucktards would be so over.

so let's keep having these relative comparison arguments. so productive.

A Racist is a Racist regardless of how long it's been since they burned a cross or if they use the "N" word in public or only in private.

I didn't see anything about Allen's performance in office, just his racism.

And since "Even as late as 2000, Sen. Byrd (D) said on FOX television interview that there were "white niggers" also."

I gotta say these guys are two peas in a non-partisan pod.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    A Racist is a Racist regardless of how long it's been since they burned a cross or if they use the "N" word in public or only in private.

And since "Even as late as 2000, Sen. Byrd (D) said on FOX television interview that there were "white niggers" also."

Not to disagree but once again, if harboring or expressing racist sentiments precluded people from serving in Congress...they'd have to replace most of Congress.

Not to disagree but once again, if harboring or expressing racist sentiments precluded people from serving in Congress...they'd have to replace most of Congress.

Agreed....my only point is that it exists on both sides of the aisle.

Most Americans harbour racist sentiments. So where does that leave us?

however, there are only a few that have expressed racists sentiments that are documented and verifiable. They should be removed from public service immediately. Not only on that principle, but also because we can't seem to agree on any reasonable form of reparations for our racist past, the least we can do is keep openly racist people like Allen, Byrd, Lott, etc. from controlling the reigns of public policy.

And we sit here and condemn the Palestinians and the Lebanese because Hamas and Hezbollah hold seats in their Parliaments.

Sigh. We have no shame.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Byrd rejected the Klan long before he entered politics. Read the article above. He could have easily gotten elected in WVA running as a racist Democrat in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s. Instead he has long championed civil rights in the congress.

I believe in redemption. Byrd is a great example. Compare him to all the racist old Dixiecrats, who changed their party affiliation to Republican who are still in Congress today. From the 1860s - 1920s the Republican party was the party of racial understanding. In the 20s Hoover abondoned the Republican parties racial policies and left the country with 2 racist parties; the Ds and Rs. In the mid 60s President Johnson stood up for civil and equal rights over the protests of many in his (D) party. Over the next fifteen years many Ds changed their affiliation to R. Many are still in congress today working against the Voting Rights Act, Affirmative Action and any and all other civil rights laws. They have the full support of their new party. Strom Thurmond highlighted this thinly vailed racist attitude a few years ago when he said the country would be better of if the Segragationist party had won the presidency.

George Allen's racism problems are not about what he said or says. It is about what he does. To compare him to Byrd is the deepths of dirty politics.

If you want to compare him to Byrd compare his pack of lies and forced apolgies to Byrd's open discussion of the shame he feels for his past.

etc

from the hear & now

If you care at all about racism you would be outraged by those politicians who are openly practicing it today instead of dragging up the past of those who left it behind before they entered politics.

Sen. Allen On The N-Word: "I Don't Think That There's Anyone Who Grew Up In The South That Hasn't Had That Word Pass Through Their Lips At One Time"...

Democratic Senate challenger Jim Webb declined to say definitively Tuesday whether he had ever used a common derogatory term to describe blacks, stepping carefully after watching his campaign rival confront charges of racism.

If you cared at all about racism you would be outraged by those who are practicing it today instead of casting aspersions on those who are trying to stop them.

I believe in redemption. Byrd is a great example.

"Even as late as 2000, Sen. Byrd (D) said on FOX television interview that there were "white niggers" also."

Take your pick...........

He's just a product of his environment.

There are Republicans who are much worse.

He only participated in the "good" KKK activities.

He wears the uniform that I'm in lock step with.

Byrd rejected the Klan long before he entered politics. Read the article above. He could have easily gotten elected in WVA running as a racist Democrat in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s. Instead he has long championed civil rights in the congress.

I believe in redemption. Byrd is a great example. Compare him to all the racist old Dixiecrats, who changed their party affiliation to Republican who are still in Congress today. From the 1860s - 1920s the Republican party was the party of racial understanding. In the 20s Hoover abondoned the Republican parties racial policies and left the country with 2 racist parties; the Ds and Rs. In the mid 60s President Johnson stood up for civil and equal rights over the protests of many in his (D) party. Over the next fifteen years many Ds changed their affiliation to R. Many are still in congress today working against the Voting Rights Act, Affirmative Action and any and all other civil rights laws. They have the full support of their new party. Strom Thurmond highlighted this thinly vailed racist attitude a few years ago when he said the country would be better of if the Segragationist party had won the presidency.

George Allen's racism problems are not about what he said or says. It is about what he does. To compare him to Byrd is the deepths of dirty politics.

If you want to compare him to Byrd compare his pack of lies and forced apolgies to Byrd's open discussion of the shame he feels for his past.

Those are good points. Although, I think you mean Trent Lott, not Thurmond. And Lott only lost his leadership post in the Senate. Whoopdie fuckin doo!

And I'm sorry the KKK is a terrorist organization that dragged people from their homes, murdered them in front of their children and strung their mutilated bodies up for birds and flies to pick. A country that holds itself up as a moral authority should have some basic rules against allowing people who did this kind of shit from ever holding power. This includes those who were just associated.

In terms of redemption, yes, people like Byrd can redeem themselves through works, but only to stay out of Hell. They simply lost the ability to hold high office. But this is not about redemption, it is about character. No person of even decent moral character believes that black people should stay on par with livestock.

There has to be some standard for this. And ever being in the KKK (or the Nazi Party, or Al' Qaeda) is pretty fucking good IMO. You're over forever. It's not something you "experiment with" as a college student. Sorry.

• I believe in redemption. Byrd is a great example.

"Even as late as 2000, Sen. Byrd (D) said on FOX television interview that there were "white niggers" also."

Take your pick...........

He's just a product of his environment.

There are Republicans who are much worse.

He only participated in the "good" KKK activities.

He wears the uniform that I'm in lock step with.

you are pushing it. First of all, Byrd is older than dirt and when he used that phrase ( i think it was '01 btw) he thought the n word could be used as a synonym for "ignorance." This was a softball interview by Colmes (the token liberal on Fox) and its not like Byrd got caught off-guard and let his inner-racist slip out. He was/is an old guy, disconnected from what is considered to be kosher.

why is this in the same thread as George Allen? I think Laserwolf already did a good job explaining the difference between a closet racist and a reformed bigot who has seen the light. Remember, Allen grew up in the late 60s and 70s. This was not a product of his environment type thing. The dude lived with rich folks out in Cali and was surrounded by black athletes. If there was a worse excuse for bigotry, please tell me. Furthermore, the dude is a complete phony and fraud.

Someone was smart enough to start a thread called "Fuck George Allen." Lets keep that theme going. Byrd is not only old news, but his situation is entirely different. Personally, regardless of how he has reformed himself, I wouldn't vote for him because I think it sends the wrong message. Some mistakes you can't erase. But let's not confuse an ex-asshole with a current asshole.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Sen. Allen On The N-Word: "I Don't Think That There's Anyone Who Grew Up In The South That Hasn't Had That Word Pass Through Their Lips At One Time"...

If you cared at all about racism you would be outraged by those who are practicing it today instead of casting aspersions on those who are trying to stop them.

I think in all this bashing of a really fucked up politician we forget that equally fucked up people vote for guys like this to represent them.

these politicians aren't entirely stupid or even exceptions to the American rule, they are giving the constituents what they want.