are we too materialistic?

2»

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    first of all, this dude is an idiot, simply put.

Now, in regards to a brand free lifestyle, I think his intention is to abstain from "IT" brands. Therefore, he'll still consume regular brand products like "colgate" or "hanes", but no status symbol brands. I could be wrong, but that is what I gathered from the article.

Is he an attention whore? Definitely, he is asking for someone to smack that pompous look off his face. The important part is the context of the story, there are truths that can be gleamed from it.

At junior school, I tried to make friends with the popular kids, only to be ridiculed for the lack of stripes on my trainers.

Once I had nagged my parents to the point of buying me the shoes I was duly accepted at school, and I became much happier as a result. As long as my parents continued to buy me the brands, life was more fun. Now, at the age of 31, I still behave according to playground law.

Taking our collectro sensibilities out of the equation, we are wasteful as a whole. Have you ever thought about the amount of paper products each one of us consume on an avg day, let alone an entire year. How about the disposable nature of products, when have you ever heard of electronics getting repaired nowadays? It's just junk and move on..........

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The important part is the context of the story, there are truths that can be gleamed from it.

Taking our collectro sensibilities out of the equation, we are wasteful as a whole. Have you ever thought about the amount of paper products each one of us consume on an avg day, let alone an entire year. How about the disposable nature of products, when have you ever heard of electronics getting repaired nowadays?[/b]

Yes, it's a shame, but usually whenever I hear sentences like the ones I just boldfaced***, the person doing the talking is sounding like such a preachy, Earth-shoe wearing, no-fun-having NAG...you know, like the overtly P.C. types you see passing out flyers on streetcorners and at outdoor festivals. Or the guy who
    wrote that article. It's good to be conscientious, but DAMN!

[color:blue]***not meant as a slam to Aser so much as to people like the cat who wrote the article we are commenting on; you sometimes think that if these folks had their way, we'd be living barefoot in caves like Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble[/color]

• i think you guys are missing the point of this article, or maybe my interpretation of it is different. he is just mentioning how brands are so invasive they are even becoming part of peoples own self esteem or image. he wants to make a symbolic gesture to clear himself of this. he is not a luddite but trying to get people to think about it.

maybe you should think about it next time you really want some material possession real bad. why ? who says it is important to have that nike swoosh on your shoes ? isn't it ridiculous people pay $130 for a shoe that cost about $3 in materials/labor to make? you are basically paying for the brand which has a symbolic representation in your head. why is that ?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    At junior school, I tried to make friends with the popular kids, only to be ridiculed for the lack of stripes on my trainers.
    Once I had nagged my parents to the point of buying me the shoes I was duly accepted at school, and I became much happier as a result. As long as my parents continued to buy me the brands, life was more fun. Now, at the age of 31, I still behave according to playground law.

This is reductive, but is a good honest point. This was my life exactly, ca. 6th grade. When the Swoosh was on, all was good. But the same thing applied to haircuts and glasses (versus no glasses). Some asshole kids were just asshole kids. I remember when the Agassi "Image Is Everything" ads were on and Madonna was the MG. I remember Jordache. That was a disgusting time of my life, and I didn't like what it did to me. But wearing a pair of $29.99 sale-priced 2 year-old shelltoes when I am 27 is not exactly the same thing. For one, I'm not actively competing with the tastemakers of the world. I wear $6 vintage Penguin sweaters scavenged from the Salvation Army, for goodness' sake.

Am I waffling? Equivocating? I need a good Voice of Reason here.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

Yes, it's a shame, but usually whenever I hear sentences like the ones I just boldfaced***, the person doing the talking is sounding like such a preachy, Earth-shoe wearing, no-fun-having NAG...you know, like the overtly P.C. types you see passing out flyers on streetcorners and at outdoor festivals. Or the guy who
    wrote that article. It's good to be conscientious, but DAMN!

[color:blue]***not meant as a slam to Aser so much as to people like the cat who wrote the article we are commenting on; you sometimes think that if these folks had their way, we'd be living barefoot in caves like Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble[/color]

I am not offended. I do not live in a commune rocking chinese kung fu slippers. I probably have more sneakers than most of you here, not something I"m proud of at all. It did get out of hand at one point and I deaded it 3 yrs ago.

As long as you're aware of your actions, that is my key point.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Rey,

have you ever in your lifetime ironed your own shirts ?

(multi-level question)
    Only wear it one time...

Wrong answer.

Spot the person who ironed his own shirts.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Rey,

have you ever in your lifetime ironed your own shirts ?

(multi-level question)
    Only wear it one time...

Wrong answer.

Spot the person who ironed his own shirts.

• This guys confusing materialism with flippant consumerism. You can take an object treasure it, fetishise it, spiritualise it etc etc or you can buy something just cause you got to buy it and move on to the next thing. They're very different ideas. Noone would ever acuse you of being vacuous because you kept your great grandad's heirloom somewhere safe.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The Nike Footscape Woven Pony Hair joints are hot right?!
    Check'em out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nike-Hideout-Footsca...1QQcmdZViewItem

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

• Options
    2) Steamed skim milk with honey

How do you make that, and can it be done with soy milk instead?