Is the wrod "dope" as dead as tacky funk?

2»

Comments

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
    The only slang i think you will truly get clowned for is probably something a bit more recent. For instance, i wouldnt suggest walking around claiming certain things to be "off the hizzle". double whammy for following up with a "fo shizzle". and for the record, im pretty sure the word "nizzle" is pretty inapropriate no matter what color you are[/b] .

BE ADVISED.

Agreed. I'm actually surprised that some people haven't figured out what "nizzle" signifies.

• the dj just said dope on that mtv improv show so it must still be hot.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I say all sorrts of shit. I have been saying dope for what, 20 years? Fuck it, doubt I'll stop now.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Also, with TYPE, I've pretty much only used it with "type trife."

Are we not allowed to use "trifling" or "trife" anymore?

• Trifl'n

My wife says this all the time, I pretty much adopted it into my vocab.

• Are we not allowed to use "trifling" or "trife" anymore?

What?!?!?! Not allowed to use trifling anymore?

Skanless.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    When i hear someone use the word dope, i laugh on the inside.

as for whippersnappers like deej, your continued tomfoolery amounts to nothing but online shenanigans.

Im all for the 'Rad' comeback.

now quit the malarkey.

soulstrut is so def today.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    trife is underused

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    I rarely get the chance to speak english down here, so when I do, I want to make sure I'm projecting the right cosmopolitan metrosexual vibe out there.

So, should I still use "dope" when talking to US consulting people at work?

Getting back to Jorge, I don't know how aware US strutters are about the use of the English language over here. If you are selling a product in Germany and you want to give it a "hip" / modern image you use as many English words as possible. And this has affected the German language a lot. Cool, e-mail, check (as in "check this out"), flyer, user, download, that's all part of everday German. Everything music / youth culture related is written/printed in English. And it's not based on Oxford English or contemporary US slang. It's more like German English were people make up their own words. Most populart is still "handy", the German English word for cell phone.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I rarely get the chance to speak english down here, so when I do, I want to make sure I'm projecting the right cosmopolitan metrosexual vibe out there.

Getting back to Jorge, I don't know how aware US strutters are about the use of the English language over here. If you are selling a product in Germany and you want to give it a "hip" / modern image you use as many English words as possible. And this has affected the German language a lot. Cool, e-mail, check (as in "check this out"), flyer, user, download, that's all part of everday German. Everything music / youth culture related is written/printed in English. And it's not based on Oxford English or contemporary US slang. It's more like German English were people make up their own words. Most populart is still "handy", the German English word for cell phone.

....i think.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

So true, I blame globalization. There's english language everywhere around these parts. We got huge "Sale!" signs in stores, when we could have "Descuentos!". Not only words, we even imported special days these last few years. They even made Halloween a big thing now, when there was no such thing as I was growing up. I don't know, not sure this is a good thing.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

So true, I blame globalization. There's english language everywhere around these parts. We got huge "Sale!" signs in stores, when we could have "Descuentos!". Not only words, we even imported special days these last few years. They even made Halloween a big thing now, when there was no such thing as I was growing up. I don't know, not sure this is a good thing.

Yes, McEnglish is spoken the world over, sad really, and on occasion utterly infuriating. like the white kids in my neighbourhood who call each other "nigga" and when speaking their native tounge will drop in "dope shit yo" for effect.

Dope.

Ba hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Yes, McEnglish is spoken the world over, sad really, and on occasion utterly infuriating. like the white kids in my neighbourhood who call each other "nigga" and when speaking their native tounge will drop in "dope shit yo" for effect.

Dope.

Ba hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

hip hop is ruining this planet.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When i hear someone use the word dope, i laugh on the inside.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    That word is mad dead.

Kid.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I heard a girl on a reality TV show say "oh snap"

be advised.

---

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Is the wrod "dope"
    What's a wrod???

Funk and Wagnel defines word as:
    A speech sound or series of speech sounds that symbolizes and communicates a meaning without being devisible into smaller units capable of independant use. And shit.

Memorized that about 20 years ago. Still trying to figure out why.

Dope. I still hear it alot.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    the word dope is neva dead! it lives! NOW THAT'S SWASS!

I'm COLD LAMPIN SHAMALAMA!

DOGGEIS GET MOWDED!

SHIT IS ALWAYS SWASS! AYEEEE!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Is the wrod "dope"
    What's a wrod???

A speech sound or series of speech sounds that symbolizes and communicates a meaning without being devisible into smaller units capable of independant use. And shit.

That's great. Now what is a wrod?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Is the wrod "dope"
    What's a wrod???

That's great. Now what is a wrod?

Go ask Jesus, he built my hot wrod.

• I am on a crusade to bring "Fresh" back.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Should I feel lame that none of these words (except for the shizzle
    nizzle crap) has really left my vocabulary since the 80's? I don't really
    even think about it, I just will call some kicks "fly" or a burrito "fresh"
    or say a girl is "dope" or whatever. I don't really care, maybe because
    I'm old and not so worried about being cool anymore?

The one expression I really DO wish I could purge from my life is calling things "the shit."

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
    I am on a crusade to bring "Fraish" back.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    You New Yorkers, always one step ahead

I suppose 50 Cent's just out of touch since he moved to CT.

THE TERM IS FROM THE MID 80'S DEEJ. I'M SORRY BUT GET FAMILIAR. BY THE TIME U HEARD KRISS KROSS, NOBODY WAS USING IT ANYMORE. U CAN CALL YOURSELF LATE/OUTOFTHELOOP/PERIPHERAL...WHATEVER.
    lol @ old man.

Emulating an old man's obsolete slang.......

no one cares what you think about anything. you're 90.

the fact that it's from the 80's is why i still use it from time to time...it'll never be obsolete just like fresh, wild, fly or bold. even if random paulsies use it and make me cringe at times, it don't matter.

slammin has been my choice lately.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    You New Yorkers, always one step ahead

I suppose 50 Cent's just out of touch since he moved to CT.

THE TERM IS FROM THE MID 80'S DEEJ. I'M SORRY BUT GET FAMILIAR. BY THE TIME U HEARD KRISS KROSS, NOBODY WAS USING IT ANYMORE. U CAN CALL YOURSELF LATE/OUTOFTHELOOP/PERIPHERAL...WHATEVER.
    lol @ old man.

Emulating an old man's obsolete slang.......

no one cares what you think about anything. you're 90.

the fact that it's from the 80's is why i still use it from time to time...it'll never be obsolete just like fresh, wild, fly or bold. even if random paulsies use it and make me cringe at times, it don't matter.

slammin has been my choice lately.

This is why hip hop wont survive.

• Options
    yeah all this "science of being IN" shit that goes on in hiphop (and on Soulstrut) definately makes me think that there isnt enough substance to hip hop so heads have to make shit up to stay occupied. Survive?? i am apprehensive

• i saw the word "dope" every day....and i am 36