Top 5 Graffiti Writers

13»

Comments

• RyzeRyze 3 Posts
    Funkyexample: Saul Goode! You gotta have your favorites.
    Thank you for the compliment.
    Early on I remember Alert and I talking about how one potential bonus
    of getting up as much as possible was hopefully inspiring new kids to
    start writing. Then a few years later when kids like Ryme, Alter, etc.
    would start we???d be all annoyed. Like we didn???t ask for that. The smart
    move would have been to put ???em down and helped them find their own shit
    instead of bitch about them. But hey the teen years aren???t usually known
    as anybody???s good decisions phase.

Sir Francis Havok:
    Welly, welly, well. Nice to hear from you. Wasn???t the first night we really
    hung out the night O???Toole and I hooked up? Her and I riding in the trunk
    cause the car was so full? Sealed the deal for me. Ha! Why am I not surprised
    Dudley???s insta-whipped like that? That???s a pretty funny Copley moment.
    Tom could actually rhyme. I???ve definitely had my personality clashes over
    the years. The graffiti related ones are the only ones I can???t really stand
    behind. I remember at one party Rob ???React???, nice with the computer rock style,
    chewed me out for ???walking around like I was better than everyone else???.
    Can???t really say he was wrong. In fact I actually agreed with him then,
    I just wasn???t in any position to admit it. Still a fan of beer and things
    obscure so I think we can make that happen. I just saw ???Syre??? down here a
    few weeks ago with Justine, Tim Gonzales(what did Tim write again?)
    and an about to get married Scott ???Casm???.

Wrath of Kon: Yeah this site feels pleasantly obscure. A friend of mine
    who???s over in London working on a job checks this site and sent me your post.
    I???d never checked a forum before so after I was finished bugging out about
    getting mentioned I had to get my girl to show me how it worked.
    Knowledgeable in some matters, clueless in others. Actually I think we rolled
    in Kev???s Jetta? Whatever. After I posted that I actually remembered that you
    were a lefty. I remember those pieces you and Sick did off the Green line way
    back ???don???t diss or you???ll be on my list??? right? Whatever happened to PapoInc?
    Papo was my man. Crazy as hell and the first guy to show me the advantage of
    courier bags. The first day I met him he had a case of Bud in his bag he had
    just stolen. His bag was a perfectly rectangle cause it fit so tight. We caught
    some daytime tags in the alleys of Harvard Sq. then went to the river and drank
    that beer. Damn the memory banks are warming up now. Al Fuji was also always
    rolling with small asian chicks, which I???ve always felt is a pretty good style.
    Being ahead of your time is always admirable even if it???s in the area of bad
    fashion. But I???m pretty sure that???s not a good look. I???ll check again???yeah,
    that???s a bad look. He definitely didn???t give a fuck though, so hey. I know what
    you mean about avoiding the fate of statistic. I???ve recently heard stories about
    some of my boys from Cambridge. Pretty psyched I didn???t become a coke dealing
    pimp. Gonna guess Boston has enough of those. Here???s another Mass story just not
    ending on a high note. You probably heard about his recent short stint of freedom
    right? Yeah, so like 11 or 12 years ago he got grabbed for bank robbery.
    His MO was to take a cab to the bank, go in and rob it(wearing gardening gloves?)
    then make his getaway in the waiting cab. He was pulling them in strings,
    like a couple a day. Then one cab driver got suspicious of him changing his
    clothes in the back seat after coming out of a bank. So he went down for 10 years.
    Almost two years ago I???m on the phone with Leroy ???SAE???(love that kid) and he
    tells me that Mass is out and that they???d hung out a couple of times and were
    talking about painting somewhere. That blew my mind so I told Leroy I???d come up
    to Boston in a minute for that one. So he was gonna set it up. One week later
    I???m riding the train to work reading the AP news briefs in the New York Post
    when I come across a headline that says ???Bumbling Boston Bank Robber???.
    I can only guess he got at least another 10 years or more. It sucks when the
    best you can say about someone is at least they???re not dead. I didn???t want to
    put him on blast about his troubles but then I was reading other posts on here
    of dudes talking about they???re boys who sold coke, did time, etc. It was all up
    in the papers. So if you missed it check theses clippings out. I wish him the
    best. I see how this posting thing can get a little addictive. Look at me
    babbling here. I???m gonna try not to get hooked. Catch up with y???all in Boston.

Ryze

• RyzeRyze 3 Posts
    Don't quite know why that jpeg came so small when I posted it.
    Hope these work better.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Holy Jesus. You're a legend. Much respect from a tiny dude!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Drez,

not to bust your bubble, but those are in DC and I remember, and have flicks of every single one of those.
    Ryze 5AV, and L'Efant Plaza, and Takoma Park pieces from 92 sufacing on the strut...

and to top it all off a KIER piece... holy shit. I'm like 16 all over again.
    Yall see that Mata tag above the cycle piece?.. that was a certain professional skateboarder from DC.

• QuasiQuasi 2 Posts
    firmeRola, speakin of Joker and Serge, i went to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh with both them cats... I could write a BOOK about my experiences with those dudes.

peep some history:

IMG SRC="http://www.petridish.net/pics/14227/MajorGrafHistory0020.jpg" width=600>

IMG SRC="http://www.petridish.net/pics/14227/md-MajorGrafHistory0050.jpg" width=600>

IMG SRC="http://www.petridish.net/pics/14227/md-MajorGrafHistory0049.jpg" width=600>

I wrote De' Premier back in the day.. this was my stylie.
    IMG SRC="http://www.petridish.net/pics/14227/md-BeatallmightyDEtag.jpg" width=600>
    IMG SRC="http://www.petridish.net/pics/14227/md-EtotheStotheP.jpg" width=600>

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Shrink them images down, Quasi.

Also, only Espo and Sat are Philly writers. The other dudes are DC/VA dudes.

• QuasiQuasi 2 Posts
    sorry, i did that so u could read the article.. i seems i can not edit the post now?

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    COPE 2 and T KID signed my old cans this past sunday.
    IMG SRC="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/Dune493/TKID001.jpg" width=700>

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Shrink them images down, Quasi.

Sayin', tho. Ya'll got a dude working OT in this thread. But, it should read better now.

• Ive always loved that shit from Dream..cant even remember where I seen it first. Many, I aint even about to TRY to list a top writers list..but I enjoyed reading everyones...yall covered a lot of areas.

Anyone else bummed out/depressed on how now and days graffiti is "different"? I dont really know how to explain it..it just is. The letters aint importamt like they used to be..handstyles are weak. Writers are dumbasses(and rich usually). I dont know...and it even like im some old school head..i didnt get into this shit until the early 90s...but since the internet and everything..I dont know. Shit just bothers me a little bit.

To everyone still out there doing their thing the RIGHT way..keep doing it. I fucking love you all!

wiser words were never spoken!

RIP MIKE DREAM ?Crew OAKTOWN SOBRANTE PARK KILLA

I know I wasn't there writing in the 90's or whatever but just in the last 4-5 years of writing it changed to me. I don't know but I guess the tag banging has always been a situation but too many foos trying to be hard nowadays. That Dream speech is so true. Foos be going with girls and telling them they write so the girls think they are cool and different. They try way too hard to look "Hip-Hop".

Also the only thing people care about is getting up with no skill. Kinda like you said they don't care about there style at all. People care more about getting up further but yet have no rep in there own hood. Shit is wack when people in your own city don't know you exist.

What was a major downside to me is surveillance...the ease of racking cans is way harder now. I know thats a good thing for the companies but now it takes a little more finesse and risk when doing it.

• since i started writing in 83' i have seen every generation of writers in boston, and have met just about all of em.

i dont think anybody in sports got up more than ryze or alert..both were 5av...sports was barely repped cept for sp,sly and maybe wombat.
    but really, as far as boston is concerned..nobody had more ups than mass, detect and jayroc.

yall saw the label scan in the most recent waxpoetics of twr...that was a graff crew my man maze(clicks cousin) did the script on the label, maze actually just had a pair of nikes done..legit af1s
    btw..nancy locked me and my man chronic in 86.

I wanted to find some flicks of Mass. His stuff was legendary to me. Old school boston graf was some of the illest styled shit i have ever seen. it definitely was right up there with that really unique philly style but i dont think it got the credit that philly gets. btw what did/do you write Raw Hamburger?

i wrote....kon

soul..thanks man ! so many good memories as well....
    very few people have flix from back then..target is one of em'
    i know my man spell has em too, but i havent talked to him in ages
    how bout,crush one who is doin his thing out in l.a. now on the indie rap tip
    here are some writers from the 80's

larry d
    storm
    fume
    popeye(jordan knight from n.k.o.t.b.!!)
    hang
    fuse
    design
    theme
    scene
    mk
    rich3
    mask
    anomic
    dash (floorlords bboy)
    silk gator
    oz & noz
    start
    saint
    genius most in boston wont even know this cat...unless you 35 +
    zone
    saint
    adidas
    sway
    alert
    empire
    boa...to me the illest name in graff ever !!
    dude
    tame
    duo (rich5)
    pony
    tale
    remote
    charm
    prank
    secret
    rath
    fate
    jest
    coz
    lit
    romeo
    dream (nefra) from edo g. & the bulldogs...now in l.a. and makes custom hats for the likes of common
    javonski

this was all dorchester ,roxbury, mattapan, jp, the illest hoods and......brookline one of the sweetest hoods!

man..i seriously could go on and on.
    let me tell yall...in these days shit wasnt sweet.. most of these cats were gang affiliated...
    we used to have writers meetings....200 deep !!!!

Yes to this and Kon!!!!!!

more old school boston graff here:
    www.bostonsgraffitighosts.com

• My Faves
    Futura 2000
    Risk WCA
    Ghost
    Vulcan
    Mode 2

• Personal faves

Puzle
    Reach
    Merda1
    Atome
    Duel

• spcspc 534 Posts
    My personal top 3:

Quik
    Blade
    Futura2000

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Bump. Graf in NY is kind of living right now... Lots of places where The Buff should be hitting but isn't. City is strapped but I wouldn't have expected shit to be running as much as it is.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Boston Heads don't sleep on Seks...dude was everywhere back in the day...

I used to love seeing drunken Scooby Doo Posse and Zhar Zhay shit in Harvard Square....

• Oakland:

Anthony
    Plato
    Chitlen
    Joker
    Spoo
    hella dudes
    Dream

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Bump. Graf in NY is kind of living right now... Lots of places where The Buff should be hitting but isn't. City is strapped but I wouldn't have expected shit to be running as much as it is.

trains are running again? over here, things change slowly, they buff more quickly...although this was running a few weeks ago...

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    Mode 2
    Emit
    East
    Daim
    Swet

that was actually harder then i thought...lol

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    i haven't made it through the entire thread, is COUPE getting some love in here?