You Ever Wake Up

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
really earlyget some coffee and breakfastgo digging all morningcome home depressed as shit smelling like rat turds and Barbara Streisandwishing you had slept in?

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    EVERY
    DAY

• really early

get some coffee and breakfast

go digging all morning

come home depressed as shit smelling like rat turds and Barbara Streisand

wishing you had slept in?

Yeah, almost every time I take a day off of work. I tell myself I am going to stay home and relax and I end up running around looking for records all day.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    really early

go digging all morning

This must have taken place today

What digger don't do this? I know one thing, I'm getting sick and tired of going thru piles of Time Life compilation records, whilst in a cold ass basement/dungeon, hoping that a Norway rat won't come and see me.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    "tons of rare records in the basement....TONSSSS....but im manning the upstairs of this wack ass antique store....come back when i close at 5 and ill let u down there"

5 pm

"theyre all in that room"

as i stumble over lamp shades and forks that no one in their right mind would eat with to get to the crate of YES LPs i think to myself

"damn its cold...but boy am i lucky....a Lionel Richie 45 with my name on it...."

and yes this happened today

it happens every day

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Saturday:

I stay at my brothers spot in West LA so I'm closer to Rhino. Their last parking lot sale is making a buzz amongst rackord geeks. I get there prior to open and see a line around the building...

...After an hour of digging I leave with nothing

I hit up a racord store I pass by in the middle of nowhere freeway exit LA. I walk and they literally have 4 LP's between 12 bins. I ask where the vinyl is and they say it'll be here in a few weeks (WTF?!?!)

I run down to 2 other spots while heading home and walk out with the same amount of records I walked in with

2 Barrio thrift shops no vinyl either.

I ended up at a headshop buying a new bong and enjoying old records on a saturday afternoon

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This has never happened to me. For one, I get up at noon. And, two, I always come away with at least one Skull Snaps & one original Modigliani painting.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Modigliani painting.

FUCKARECORD. Art-diggin' is where is at.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    This has never happened to me. For one, I get up at noon. And, two, I always come away with at least one Skull Snaps & one original Modigliani painting.

classic

"tons of rare records in the basement....TONSSSS....but im manning the upstairs of this wack ass antique store....come back when i close at 5 and ill let u down there"

5 pm

"theyre all in that room"

as i stumble over lamp shades and forks that no one in their right mind would eat with to get to the crate of YES LPs i think to myself

"damn its cold...but boy am i lucky....a Lionel Richie 45 with my name on it...."

and yes this happened today

it happens every day
    Damn, I see you go to wack ass antique stores as well. It's not worth the pain anymore. For now on, I'm hittin' up other cities/towns throughout Georgia and Alabama.

Either that or it's e-diggin'

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    my advice is that in addition to looking for vinyl, try collecting other things too. That way you are bound to find something you like during one of these scavenger days. Leave the house not expecting to find anything, and you will be suprised.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Seriously though - about a year ago my friend tells me he's met this old guy who owns an antique shop with a back room of records that hasn't been dug through since 1980. the guy used to own a record shop & has had this stuff sitting in the back of his shop for 25 years. I had a hard on. I thought "YES! the stuff of dreams!" Anyhow, we find the old man - who confirms this tale, but has second thoughts about letting us in. there is a lot of junk to be moved he says. After we assure him that we will move this junk - carefully - and spend lots of money - we get to dig. We spent at least 5 hours madly digging through about half of it & found nothing. It was all crap. I bought like one Alice Coltrane record and he was pissed that we made a mess & bought very little.

Seriously though - about a year ago my friend tells me he's met this old guy who owns an antique shop with a back room of records that hasn't been dug through since 1980. the guy used to own a record shop & has had this stuff sitting in the back of his shop for 25 years. I had a hard on. I thought "YES! the stuff of dreams!" Anyhow, we find the old man - who confirms this tale, but has second thoughts about letting us in. there is a lot of junk to be moved he says. After we assure him that we will move this junk - carefully - and spend lots of money - we get to dig. We spent at least 5 hours madly digging through about half of it & found nothing. It was all crap. I bought like one Alice Coltrane record and he was pissed that we made a mess & bought very little.

Ugghh. That's the gritty side to diggin'.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Leave the house not expecting to find anything, and you will be suprised.

I always leave the house not expecting to find anything, but I can't sustain it once I get to a pile of records. As soon as I see the vinyl, I'm thinking, 'oh man, there's gonna be something good in here.' Then when there's not as is the case most of the time I leave thinking, 'gotta stop expecting to find something.' I guess I'm not strong willed enough to actually be in the presence of a pile of vinyl without getting all uppity.

DJ Ferrari

Side note, but do you ever walk into a dig spot and say to yourself, "I'm gonna find _________" and you actually find that shit!?

• Side note, but do you ever walk into a dig spot and say to yourself, "I'm gonna find _________" and you actually find that shit!?

This is why I still hunt for records...because when I was 19, and my grandma gave me an old record player, I decided to go buy some. I had 5 things on my want list- none too rare, but only one super common- and walked in to a store and found them all. "Promise of a Future," by Hugh Masakela and "Country Preacher," by Cannonball Adderley are the only ones I remember, but I'll never forget that feeling...Driving fast back home to drop the needle, and the sounds I heard when I did.

Been trying to repeat it for the last 8 years. 5 for 5...I thought it was that easy.

• my advice is that in addition to looking for vinyl, try collecting other things too. That way you are bound to find something you like during one of these scavenger days. Leave the house not expecting to find anything, and you will be suprised.

yep, my weird VHS tape and pulp mag collections are slowley growing, sucks to go home empty handed.

Side note, but do you ever walk into a dig spot and say to yourself, "I'm gonna find _________" and you actually find that shit!?

This is why I still hunt for records...because when I was 19, and my grandma gave me an old record player, I decided to go buy some. I had 5 things on my want list- none too rare, but only one super common- and walked in to a store and found them all. "Promise of a Future," by Hugh Masakela and "Country Preacher," by Cannonball Adderley are the only ones I remember, but I'll never forget that feeling...Driving fast back home to drop the needle, and the sounds I heard when I did.

Been trying to repeat it for the last 8 years. 5 for 5... I thought it was that easy.[/b]
    And then reality hit you

• Side note, but do you ever walk into a dig spot and say to yourself, "I'm gonna find _________" and you actually find that shit!?

Yep, Abba LP's everytime!

Yep, Sayer LP's everytime!

• really early

go digging all morning

Never!!

(I Hate Coffee)
    the rest describes my last week digging excursion. "15,000 records in a storge space you say?"

All crap. Not even an Alice Coltraine.

Sometimes... mostly with little stuff though. The biggest would probably be the time I grabbed 3 Nite-Liters LPs from the same spot for like $5-$10 each. I had found the S/T there the week before and when I went back I was like, 'there's gonna be more this time, I just know it'. And there was... 3 more! Totally stoked.

DJ Ferrari

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    honestly i dont think ive ever walked away empty handed
    usually the problem i have is not having enough money to buy all the records i pulled out
    miami record spots are aight like that

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    It's the worst feeling when you are digging and you come up empty. My routine when digging is grab a record, put it in a pile check condition after I have my little pile. It's the worst when you have some decent records, then you check condition and they are all scratched to shit. That stings.

It's the worst when you have some decent records, then you check condition and they are all scratched to shit. That stings.
    Oh so true. Have you ever fucked up and don't[/b] do a record check, get home and discover that your vinyl looks like it's been dragged thru sand and concrete?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I had this feeling just a few days ago. Almost makes me want to stop collecting records. Then I score a Sound Odyssey record for $2 and then I win a Hall and Oats - I Can't Go for That 12" for $6.01 on Ebay.

I've decided I'm going to dig less now and just stock up on club bangers. Seriously, when I look at my collection it lacks anything modern. The new wish list feature at turntablelab.com is stocking up. Gonna cash out this Friday after pay day. I've been feeling this recently -

It's the worst when you have some decent records, then you check condition and they are all scratched to shit. That stings.
    Oh so true. Have you ever fucked up and
    don't[/b] do a record check, get home and discover that your vinyl looks like it's been dragged thru sand and concrete?

Shit, nothing worse. I remember finding a Love - Forever Changes LP at a thrift and being super stoked... so stoked that I didn't even look at the vinyl. I got home, took it out and seriously it looked like someone put the vinyl through a woodchipper and then tried to put it back together. Never seen anything in worse condition.

Then of course there's the case of not checking only to come home and find out it's a different record. Boo on that one too.

DJ Ferrari

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    You should really enjoy it!!! There will come a time when you have no time to spend days like this. My real life moves only allow me to check a thrift for 15 minutes while I#m on my way from A to B. Starting a day with a nice coffee and breakfast and making record diggin my priority for the rest of the day sounds like pure meditation to me. No matter if I would come up with 10 MPS or the usual James Last.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

Shit, nothing worse. I remember finding a Love - Forever Changes LP at a thrift and being super stoked... so stoked that I didn't even look at the vinyl. I got home, took it out and seriously it looked like someone put the vinyl through a woodchipper and then tried to put it back together. Never seen anything in worse condition.

I remember being excited to find 2 OG gold label copies of Forever Changes back to back. (I do live in California) I bought them both ($5 each) and immediatly called the friend who hipped me to that album years back and brought it to his house. Randomly chose one and gave it to him as a thank you. I never checked the condition first so I ended up giving him the minty copy and I took the one that was so rinked I can't even play it. It's ok though, I'm sure I'll find it again.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    really early

go digging all morning

This is the story of my digging life nowadays.
    It really sucks looking tons of records and finding nothing barely decent.

Peace

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I've a had a few where I found the record, peeped the condition - fine.. bought it... took it home ....... play it, and discover its pressed slightly off-centre, rocking those nice sea-sickness steez.