FIRST ALBUMS EVER BOUGHT

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I second the Kraftwerk emotion

Up until '86, it was all about tape cassettes, recording off the radio. I owned a record player, a crappy semi-automatic Pioneer deck, but I only had about 5-10 records, which were mostly random birthday and christmas presents I didn't really listen to. The radio and my tape recorder were my main source of musical inspiration/information.

One day I recorded this song called "Boing Bum Tschak", and it got rewound a zillion times. I had never heard anything like this before, but I already had a strong love for music that was made with machines, like hiphop and the funk/soul sound of the 80s. I could feel that this was somehow related, and it resonated with me. Had to get more Kraftwerk. The next time I went with my school class on an excursion to Copenhagen, I went straight to the biggest record store and bought it with my savings during our lunch break.

When I got home, my stepfather (who was a big 70s rock afficionado and a guitar player) told me off for buying the record. "THIS IS NOT REAL MUSIC, WHY DID YOU WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THAT GARBAGE?". You know the drill. Of course I didn't care, and it's still one of my all-time favorites. From then on, it was on. The cassettes were still the main course, but buying records slowly escalated from that moment on.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    My mom sent a stack of records that I've had at her house since I was a kid. Most of these albums I have no use for, or they would still be in my collection. This record was in the pile though. http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/Prime609/40funky.jpg

This was one of my first albums. 40 FUNKY HITS. Some of the tracks on the album; shimmy shimmy ko ko bop (little anthony and the imperials), alley oop (hollywood argyles), purple people eater meets the witch doctor(joe south), funky broadway (dyke & the blazers), beep beep (the playmates) ya ya (lee dorsey)....Not a bads kids album, all things considered.

The commercials for that album used to run like clockwork back in 1975. For some reason, the ads usually ran during cartoons, and I guess that's why everybody I've ever met who owns this elpee associates it with childhood. I don't even think it was meant to be a children's album, but it just kinda turned out that way. And for years after that, there were several K-Tel-type comps of novelty rock hits, all of which were knockoffs of 40 Funky Hits, all of which seemed to have the same songs (Ray Stevens was on just about all of them), and most of them had some kind of silly illustration for the titles. The used-record stores are littered with these "40 Goofy Greats"-type albums, so somebody was buying those fuckers like biscuits!

I think the record says "as seen on the groove tube" I knew that album came out awhile ago. Pretty cool compilation for a little kid watching cartoons. Maybe they were airing the commercials for this record during cartoons for the stoner demographic. maybe they should have record commercials during the teletubbies.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Das Efx - Microphone Masters 12"

With the Dome Cracker (DJ Spinna) remix which is one of my favorite spinna joints.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

• Got 'em back around 1981 or so, so I would've been about 7. Went to a garage sale with my parents and there was this little stereo/record player there. You know, one of those all-in-one units that had the receiver and tuner on the front and a record player built in on top. I got that and the two records above and it was the start of my music obsession.

• ("Love Light In Flight" is slammin)

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    This was my first album, was probably around 7 when I got it.

Had a few cassetets before ut this startede the venture.

Motley Crue "Dr Feelgod"

.... remember being a bit disappointed with it tho.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

• DBL Cassette.

I still play it.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

West Street Mob in 1984

• First record I ever bought with my own money, in 1972...

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    And I still have it in the crate as well.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Captain & Tennille - whatever LP had Love Will Keep Us Together On It. Bought with money provided by my mom. Loved their variety show so bought their record when I was in elementary school.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    And roller skates:

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

First record I ever bought with my own money, in 1972...

Bootleg?

Bootleg?

No. That the original US issue on VeeJay. Pretty much the same LP as the UK "Please Please Me', though there are two different versions of this one. I think one has 'Ask Me Why' and the other has another track (can't remember exactly).

First record I ever bought with my own money, in 1972...

Bootleg?

No. That the original US issue on VeeJay. Pretty much the same LP as the UK "Please Please Me', though there are two different versions of this one. I think one has 'Ask Me Why' and the other has another track (can't remember exactly).

I know, but most copies are boots.

Bootleg?

I know, but most copies are boots.

Meaning what exactly??? I don't know why anyone would bootleg this LP, being that it wasn't particularly valuable.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    an og Vee-Jay is real valuable - check the hands on the watch, I've been told that's the key.

it was booted in the 70's (I think) I'm pretty sure the real OG's are worth some moolah.

• I used to have both versions (don't have'em no more...)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I used to have both versions (don't have'em no more...)

Yeah, the shadow on the background is one key....wether or not its mono or stereo,black label vs rainbow ring, blah blah...most OGs you find nowadays are rinked anyhow. I'll try to find the website that goes into excruciating detail regarding this matter...I used to have it bookmarked on my Mac!

most OGs you find nowadays are BEYOND[/b] rinked

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

website that goes into excruciating detail regarding this matter

Here's a site that talks about the LP:

Introducing The Beatles - Vee Jay

SG

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

SG

That's the one!

• I used to have both versions (don't have'em no more...)

SG

That's the one!

Jeebus that's complicated?!?! Now I have no idea whether I had on OG or not. All water under thr bridge now....