Dope country albums?

2»

Comments

• Read Bill Malone's Country Music USA (2nd revised edition Univ of Texas Press)

• Read Bill Malone's Country Music USA (2nd revised edition Univ of Texas Press)

It's pretty definitive and exhaustive. If you don't mind reading a textbook style book it's pretty good.

• Also peep:

Jim Ford - Harlan County
    Roy Head Same People (with a cover of "Let A Woman be a Woman and let a Man be a Man")
    Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie

It's pretty definitive and exhaustive. If you don't mind reading a textbook style book it's pretty good.

Any other books you recommend? I've started Malone's Singing Cowboys and Musical
    Mountaineers: Southern Culture and the Roots of Country Music.

Any other books you recommend? I've started Malone's Singing Cowboys and Musical

For just general country music? No. Have you read Lost Highway by Peter Guralnick? I'm interested in checking that out. There's a lot of good biographies of individual artists and specific styles/genres. I've also wanted to read that Musical Mountaineers, too.

For just general country music? No. Have you read Lost Highway by Peter Guralnick? I'm interested in checking that out. There's a lot of good biographies of individual artists and specific styles/genres. I've also wanted to read that Musical Mountaineers, too.

I recall reading and appreciating a few of the chapters from Lost Highway.
    The earlier part of the century interests me most.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Have you read Lost Highway by Peter Guralnick? I'm interested in checking that out. There's a lot of good biographies of individual artists and specific styles/genres. .

a great read
    i stumbled upon a free symposium at vandi last march with Guralnick
    (+ robert gordon & Wil Haygood)
    they shared some amazing stories !

photos of my NC show finds soon come

• Have you read Lost Highway by Peter Guralnick? I'm interested in checking that out. There's a lot of good biographies of individual artists and specific styles/genres. .

a great read
    i stumbled upon a free symposium at vandi last march with Guralnick

photos of my NC show finds soon come

Wouldn't mind interviewing Guralnick at some point.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Charlie Daniels - Te John, Greaseman & Wolfman (Kama Sutra)
    Randy Sharp - First in Line (demo)

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    last march with Guralnick

Wouldn't mind interviewing Guralnick at some point.

super nice guy, all three spent loads of time talking to folks

• Any other books you recommend?

yeah...

Country:The Twisted Roots of Rock and Roll, by Nick Tosches.

and on the record tip...

Unites Artists contract-breaker, for sure.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    God less America compilation on Crypt from mid 90's.

• and DOPE COUNTRY ARTISTS! Is this the NEW HORIZON to be EXPLORED?!! I THINK SO!

peace-

MUST OWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny Paycheck- all of his Little Darlin 45s from the 60s

Ed Bruce- Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up Top Be Cowboys- has incredible version of Tony Joe White's "The Migrant"

Sammi Smith- all her MEGA ALbums- for some deep cottonfield soul- this woman had a hell of a voice!

Moe Bandy all his 70s LPs

Joe Stampley- The Sheik of Chicago- former member of the UNIQUES on PAULA

Razzy Bailey- Great soulful Voice

Mel Street- EVERYTHING!

Jerry Lee Lewis- I-40 Country

Randy Barlow- 45s easier to find

John Anderson- Everything! What a voice!!

Porter Wagoner- ALL!

Ronnie Milsap- although a great voice- his pre-RCA stuff on Scepter,Warner,and CHIPS is absolutely brilliant!

Buck Owens- everything

Tompall Glaser- Charlie LP

Johnny Cash- Look at Them Beans

Willie Nelson- Red Headed Stranger, Shotgun Willie

some to get ya'll started!!

• Lefty Frizzell ‎– Listen To Lefty
    Attached files

• Love 60's country records with the trucker themes. Red Simpson - I'm A Truck is a great one, plus the aforementioned Dave Dudley tracks. While I'm at it, I must mention... not on LP, but TIME LIFE put out a series of CD's of No. 1 hits for the years 55' thru mid- 70's. Much recommended are the 1964-68 series. Each CD has about 20 or so tracks that topped the country charts for each given year. You can pick em' up cheap on the Bay. Tons of classic tracks by Porter Wagoner, Faron Young, Ernest Tubb, Roy Acuff, Bobby Bare, Dottie West, Red Foley, Lefty Frizzell, Don Gibson, Roger Miller, Bob Wills, Buck Owens, Merle Travis, Kitty Wells, Lorretta Lynn, Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves, Hank Thompson, and many, many other artists from the golden age of country music. I'd say 80% produced by Chet Atkins. Completely hooked I am.

• Any possibility of getting this on MP3??

Give me a few days

co-sign, it would be an awesome contribution to hear this in mp3. thanks.

• Love 60's country records with the trucker themes. Red Simpson - I'm A Truck is a great one, plus the aforementioned Dave Dudley tracks.

Also gotta big-up the truckdriving compilations that Starday/King/Nashville released in the sixties (even the ones with the corny novelty cuts by the Willis Brothers, but there's enough good stuff to make up for them). AVOID: the late-70's Starday/Gusto trucker albums with instrumental versions of "Convoy"...

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Bob Wills

Townes VanZandt

I'll cosign erything on the thread and add these two, can't go wrong w/ any o' their shit.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Hasn't anyone listened to Godless America!!!??

• Hasn't anyone listened to Godless America!!!??

I think I have. It's a bunch of obscure, disturbing singles from the 50s and 60s right? I find the majority of Crypt anthologies interesting but not my favorite things to listen to. I don't remember being blown away by it. Maybe I should listen again.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Well, some of the tunes are novelties BUT there's some might fine stuff on it aswell!
    "It's nothing to me" is one of my favorite country tunes...