DVD Burners?

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I'm thinking about getting a DVD burner for my Mac. It will take me FOREVER to burn all this media I have on CDs, index them, etc. I don't think it makes more sense to just get more hard drive space...or does it?

Anyway, I have no clue what DVD burners run, or what specs I'd be looking for.

Internal v. External?

Also, will burned DVDs play on a PS2?

Not trying to spend more than say $150 if I can...

Help a dude.

Thanks.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Youre lucky for your 150$. The prices have gone down recently. One year ago it was all above 300 territory.
    I would suggest an internal (however i dont know depending on your mac external might be only option)
    Plexwriter is a definite excellent brand $/quality ration
    As far as ps2 i guess its the same standards than for normal dvdplayers with copied dvds. Should be fine

Finally if your only doing this for stoking than try to avoid the dvd-rw options and fuck taking the highet speeds... dont fall into those more expensiveoptions and go for reliable and cheap (i.e old)
    hope this helps

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I don't know if iDVD or whatever that shit is called still only works with the Apple Superdrives, but if it doesn't or you don't use that, you should be able to pick up a dual layer burner for around $40ish. I don't know anything about the PS2 stuff though. I recommend either Lite-On or NEC. Liteon SOHW-1693S 16X DVD Dual Drive. I have this and it's been great so far.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Youre lucky for your 150$. The prices have gone down recently. One year ago it was all above 300 territory.
    I would suggest an internal (however i dont know depending on your mac external might be only option)
    Plexwriter is a definite excellent brand $/quality ration
    As far as ps2 i guess its the same standards than for normal dvdplayers with copied dvds. Should be fine

Finally if your only doing this for stoking than try to avoid the dvd-rw options and fuck taking the highet speeds... dont fall into those more expensiveoptions and go for reliable and cheap (i.e old)
    hope this helps

Did you mean "stocking" ? I don't think I'll need a RW. I will check out that brand. Thanks for the advice.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    i dont know if this is mac compatible, but my friend studies dvd burners and he says this one is the best

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=benq+1640&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

he says get the white one

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    drew, I think he meant "storing"

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I don't know if iDVD or whatever that shit is called still only works with the Apple Superdrives, but if it doesn't or you don't use that, you should be able to pick up a dual layer burner for around $40ish. I don't know anything about the PS2 stuff though. I recommend either Lite-On or NEC. Liteon SOHW-1693S 16X DVD Dual Drive. I have this and it's been great so far.

I am not a Mac user, but would like to be. However, I highly recommend Lite-On. I had never heard of it either until people on another board were telling me that for the price, it was worth it. I had bought it through Newegg. Compare this with a DVD burner I bought from Office Max, which lasted a full six hours. I believe I've had the Lite-On model for close to a year, without any complications. People must like it, for I am now finally see it it in newspaper ads every Sunday.

• i dont know if this is mac compatible, but my friend studies dvd burners and he says this one is the best

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=benq+1640&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

he says get the white one

I just got one. Very satisfied!!
    If you need an external, just buy a housing for it, you'll save mad loot!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i copped a pioneer dual layer dvd / cd burner off ebay for under $40. I took my old external firewire cd burner out of its case and slapped this one in.. good to go.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Most if not all dvd burners on the market are mac compatible, even though most of the manufacturers do not state mac support. All you need to do is run patchburn and you're good to go. In terms of recommendations, I suggest you do some reading but the best brands tend to be Pioneer, BENQ, NEC etc.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/search/B/

I personally would recommend the benq 1640