good tippers

124»

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    same rules apply on bills >$300 ???

Yes, but it's situational. If I go somewhere swank, my service expectations are higher, so there's a greater likelihood of me tipping 20%, and not very likely that I'll tip 33%

Haircuts are always 25% tip or higher, unless I'm dealing with an impatient oaf with no social/scissor skills.

At the bar, if I'm with friends and we're drinking all night, I'll tip $100 after the first round if the tender is cool and gets that we're here for a good time. If the tender is lukewarm, I go to the next one. When the night's done, I'll leave another tip before going, usually $40-$50+

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    20%+/- at sit down restaurants.
    I used to be appalled by tip jars at places where I had to place my orders and pick up my food at a counter. I have mellowed and now tip at these spots.
    Always tipped food delivery.

The rest of the world is a mystery to me. I just learned a few years ago that I am supposed to leave a tip in the hotel room. Wasn't knowing. Occasionally (rarely) I'm at a place where they take your coat, or park your car, I don't know what to do. I didn't ask for or want the service. A buck, two, I'm clueless.

Out side of restaurants who do you tip? How much?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    20%+/- at sit down restaurants.
    I used to be appalled by tip jars at places where I had to place my orders and pick up my food at a counter. I have mellowed and now tip at these spots.
    Always tipped food delivery.

The rest of the world is a mystery to me. I just learned a few years ago that I am supposed to leave a tip in the hotel room. Wasn't knowing. Occasionally (rarely) I'm at a place where they take your coat, or park your car, I don't know what to do. I didn't ask for or want the service. A buck, two, I'm clueless.

Out side of restaurants who do you tip? How much?

$2 each for coat/valet/bag ($2/bag)
    $5-$10/night for hotel room cleaner
    10-20% for masseuse
    10-20% cabbie

When in doubt, tip, but never tip for shitty/rude service.

Also, when you tip, never act like you're doing someone a favour (it's very insulting).
    Tip with gratitude and a smile. And always try to tip discreetly if you can, except for those change jars at the pizza/coffee joint...let that change jangle in the cup!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Mormons