- Last Active
- Member, Real Head
"I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit."
I have had the misfortune of seeing my two closest musical sages pass away (my older brother and pops). In memoriam, I made mixes of music that both of them loved and played repeatedly over their lives (and my own). That said, I was just playing "Earth, Wind, and Fire" (off the "Spirit" LP) as it's one of my favorite songs. I thought, "who ever makes a mix in memoriam to me needs to put that song on it." So, if you could write out your own memorial mix, what 30 songs would be on it? I'll start (in no particular order):
1. "Earth, Wind, and Fire"-Earth, Wind, and Fire.
2. "Journey to Satchidanada"-Alice Coltrane.
3. "Brilliant Circles"-Stanley Cowell.
4. "Edith and the Kingpin"-Joni Mitchell.
5. "Natural Mystic"-Bob Marley & the Wailers.
6. "Reachin' Out (for Your Love)"-Lee Moore.
7. "All Night Thang"-Invisible Man's Band.
8. "Mainline"-Black Ivory.
9. "Razzamatazz"-Quincy Jones.
10. "I Can't Help It"-Michael Jackson.
11. "Be Grateful"-Walter Hawkins and the Love Alive Choir.
12. "Creepin'"-Stevie Wonder.
13. "Driven to Tears"-The Police.
14. "Concierto de Aranjuez"-Miles Davis.
15. "Come Live with Me, Angel"-Marvin Gaye.
16. "Don't Let No One Get You Down"-War.
17. "My Ever Changing Moods"-Style Council.
18. "(Not Just) Knee Deep"-Funkadelic.
19. "Wooden Ships"-Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young.
20. "Funky"-Ultramagnetic MCs
21. "Get into It"-Big Daddy Kane.
22. "So Far Away"-Carole King.
23. "Don't Want to See You Cry"-Clifford Coulter.
24. "Crazy You"-Prince.
25. "Spring is Here"-Cal Tjader.
27. "Maiden Voyage"-Herbie Hancock.
28. "Deacon Blues"-Steely Dan.
29. "Give Me Back My Man (Remix)"-The B52s.
30. "Light Up the Night"-The Brothers Johnson.
Big Stacks from Kakalak
To me, Trump represents represents backlash to the Obama presidency (partly racism mixed with some general xenophobia) and the scapegoating that has come with it (e.g., economics, terrorism, etc.). The irony is that the problems that Trump is using to fan flames existed during the Bush presidency. Oh well, Americans have short memories and even less political savvy or knowledge. Plus, the egregious Republican behavior and posturing (e.g., nearly shutting down the government as a political ploy) has totally backfired on and fucked up the Republican party's image. Their fractured agenda has paved the way for an idiot like Trump to emerge. Owing to the GOP's awful behavior, they deserve Trump's ass, yet the rest of us have to endure his empty and dangerous rhetoric as well. I'm so embarrassed with our politics right now, and I'm far from wild about Hilary as well. The Clinton vs. Trump ticket is like a choice between the gas chamber and the electric chair.
Big Stacks from Kakalak