Classics You've Only Recently Allowed Yourself to Enjoy

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited September 2013 in Strut Central


I've always liked the Stones. But Hot Rocks and a few singles from the 70's were always enough to do the trick for me. I never thought I would get into a full Rolling Stones album. But recently I picked up a documentary on Exile on Main Street and it along with the actual album have thoroughly won me over.



Of course I've always liked the songs Brown Eyed Girl and Moondance. And of course over many years I've heard how great an album Astral Weeks is. But I've tried to listen to it in the past and it didn't fit my mood I suppose. Decided to give it a try recently and it's now blowing me away.

Maybe it's age. Maybe it's a change in circumstance. But what did you used to dismiss/ignore that you've recently realized was actually good to your ears?

(Gotta get some record talk back on this board)
«1

  Comments


  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts


    This shit bored me to death when it came out, the drums especially. But after trying to say all of that when this was listed on the Soul Strut 100, I decided to spend some serious time with this album...and now I too am a big fan.



    This one never bored me. I just never bothered to listen to it. Too much Wu already and something about the way people freaked out over it when it dropped had me turning for the door. I mean, I've always been way into Cherchez as a single. But only recently have I started giving the album a full spin...and yep, all y'all New Balance/North Face/Yankee cappers were actually right.

  • Always felt the same about the Stones but Beggar's Banquet is the album proper I'd listen.

    Only started listening to that Van Morrison joint over the past 4 years or so some incredible tracks but his voice grates on me towards the end.

    Can were a group I'd kind of listened to in small doses only, then listened to Tago Mago driving a dark country road one night and Aumgn came on first (mp3 was playing in alphabetical order) haven't looked back since then really and listened to all their albums until Future Days hugely ever since.

  • HarveyCanal said:




    Of course I've always liked the songs Brown Eyed Girl and Moondance. And of course over many years I've heard how great an album Astral Weeks is. But I've tried to listen to it in the past and it didn't fit my mood I suppose. Decided to give it a try recently and it's now blowing me away.

    Maybe it's age. Maybe it's a change in circumstance. But what did you used to dismiss/ignore that you've recently realized was actually good to your ears?

    (Gotta get some record talk back on this board)

    Funny you should mention this.
    Tried it back in my early 20's and couldn't get into it.
    Also tried getting into a few of his other records over the years and found them lacking.
    Recently found a pristine in the field $1 copy of this record and decided to give it a try one rainy summer afternoon after hearing so many people rave about it.

    Really digging this now.
    Its super fluid and I think I have a better ear for it now.
    I guess I needed to get into Terry Callier and Richie Havens first before getting into this album, as they have similar vibes.

  • Also, for some reason I held of on listening to this album until three years after its release.



    I like it just as much as I figured I would...just didn't have the time to listen when it was released.
    Sad they are no longer around.

  • GibboGibbo 124 Posts


    I had this for awhile along with Crocodiles. I was actually about to throw it on the 'to sell' pile but gave it another few spins and it was in heavy rotation over the summer. I am now digging their whole catalog along with a whole bunch of late 70's/early 80's post punk stuff... Magazine, Bauhaus, Killing Joke, The Cure, The Teardrop Explodes, etc.

  • finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I'm quite sure it is not the right place to talk about german rap music. Nevertheless this one of the albums overlooked when it came out in 2000.
    Back then I couldn't relate to german rap anymore and stopped listening to it. So this gem slipped through my fingers. Later on it didn't help that I had to spend a weekend with Torch to do some sightseeing. My roommate, who organized a clubnight, booked him for a DJ gig.
    Torch loves travelling and wants to see every remote area in Germany. To do my roommate a favour I had to organize a weekend programme for him. He turned out to be quite dogmatic and I had some rumpus with him about cultural, historical and musical subjects.
    Anyway, a few weeks ago I gave the album a try, because a lot of my friends spoke highly of it. Surprisingly It blew my mind: Fantastic productions, very poetic and philosophic lyrics, ace flows and awesome story telling. Love it!


  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Gibbo said:


    I had this for awhile along with Crocodiles. I was actually about to throw it on the 'to sell' pile but gave it another few spins and it was in heavy rotation over the summer. I am now digging their whole catalog along with a whole bunch of late 70's/early 80's post punk stuff... Magazine, Bauhaus, Killing Joke, The Cure, The Teardrop Explodes, etc.

    I've never been able to get beyond Songs to Learn and Sing (basically a greatest hits album) which I have long listened to religiously. One of these days though, full proper albums. Just not yet I guess.

  • GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I've never been able to get beyond Songs to Learn and Sing (basically a greatest hits album) which I have long listened to religiously. One of these days though, full proper albums. Just not yet I guess.

    The first five albums seem to be where it's at. They're all really solid listens the whole way through. If you like the hits I'd reckon you'd dig the whole catalog. The sleeve designs are all really strong too, they've a nice visual aesthetic (not that this affects the music at all but it's nice all the same).

  • GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

  • GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Guzzo said:

    This is a great album. Along with 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo', 'GP' & 'Grievous Angel', it was my gateway into country music.

  • joni mitchell- heijra
    david crosby - if only i knew
    gino vanelli- brother to brother
    the beatles- the white album
    sonny rollins - the bridge
    isley brothers - go for your guns

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Great thread. Thanks HC.

    I also ignored Exile On Main Street, even though it came out when I was in HS.
    My Stones LP appreciation ended at Sticky Fingers (my fave), and when EOMS came out I rejected it as sounding too much like a parody of SF.

    How wrong I was, earlier this year I read Keith Richards A Life* and started listening to the whole catalog.
    EOMS is one of the best, up there with SF, BB and Let It Bleed.
    I also recommend 12x5 and other very early lps when they were doing all covers.
    People who don't know are amazed at how great a garage band they were.


    * I have many times sworn off musician's autobios because of inaccuracies and bloated egos and poor writing. A Life is one of the best, most enjoyable, music bios I have read, auto or sans auto.

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Truth be told I never got deep into any Coltrane lp, except Favorite Things. :red:

    Lately been listening to this


    Best version of Lush Life I have heard.

  • finelikewine said:
    I'm quite sure it is not the right place to talk about german rap music. Nevertheless this one of the albums overlooked when it came out in 2000.
    Back then I couldn't relate to german rap anymore and stopped listening to it. So this gem slipped through my fingers. Later on it didn't help that I had to spend a weekend with Torch to do some sightseeing. My roommate, who organized a clubnight, booked him for a DJ gig.
    Torch loves traveling and wants to see every remote area in Germany. To do my roommate a favour I had to organize a weekend programme for him. He turned out to be quite dogmatic and I had some rumpus with him about cultural, historical and musical subjects.
    Anyway, a few weeks ago I gave the album a try, because a lot of my friends spoke highly of it. Surprisingly It blew my mind: Fantastic productions, very poetic and philosophic lyrics, ace flows and awesome story telling. Love it!


    Did you ever read my review on that? i was mad they changed the rating...
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/sven-katmando-christ/blauer-samt/10150350591210102

  • finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    cadeaux said:
    finelikewine said:
    I'm quite sure it is not the right place to talk about german rap music. Nevertheless this one of the albums overlooked when it came out in 2000.
    Back then I couldn't relate to german rap anymore and stopped listening to it. So this gem slipped through my fingers. Later on it didn't help that I had to spend a weekend with Torch to do some sightseeing. My roommate, who organized a clubnight, booked him for a DJ gig.
    Torch loves traveling and wants to see every remote area in Germany. To do my roommate a favour I had to organize a weekend programme for him. He turned out to be quite dogmatic and I had some rumpus with him about cultural, historical and musical subjects.
    Anyway, a few weeks ago I gave the album a try, because a lot of my friends spoke highly of it. Surprisingly It blew my mind: Fantastic productions, very poetic and philosophic lyrics, ace flows and awesome story telling. Love it!


    Did you ever read my review on that? i was mad they changed the rating...
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/sven-katmando-christ/blauer-samt/10150350591210102

    unfortunately not!

    Dieser Inhalt ist derzeit nicht verf??gbar
    Die von dir ausgew??hlte Seite kann derzeit nicht angezeigt werden. Es k??nnte sein, dass diese vorl??ufig nicht zur Verf??gung steht, der von dir verwendete Link abgelaufen ist oder du nicht die erforderliche Genehmigung hast, um die Seite zu betrachten.

  • For me, it's Roots Reggae... I've finally found my entry point into the world of Jamaican music. I'm very fussy about vocals and production sound/mix but these ones I can listen to over and over

    Burning Spear- Marcus Garvey
    Max Romeo & The Upsetters- War Ina Babylon
    Peter Tosh- Legalize It
    Mighty Diamonds- Right Time
    Wailers- Burnin'

    Have tried to get into The Congos 'Heart Of' but the production is too muddy/messy for me

  • GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    utters said:
    For me, it's Roots Reggae... I've finally found my entry point into the world of Jamaican music. I'm very fussy about vocals and production sound/mix but these ones I can listen to over and over

    Burning Spear- Marcus Garvey
    Max Romeo & The Upsetters- War Ina Babylon
    Peter Tosh- Legalize It
    Mighty Diamonds- Right Time
    Wailers- Burnin'

    Have tried to get into The Congos 'Heart Of' but the production is too muddy/messy for me

    You should give this a listen...


  • finelikewine said:
    cadeaux said:
    finelikewine said:
    I'm quite sure it is not the right place to talk about german rap music. Nevertheless this one of the albums overlooked when it came out in 2000.
    Back then I couldn't relate to german rap anymore and stopped listening to it. So this gem slipped through my fingers. Later on it didn't help that I had to spend a weekend with Torch to do some sightseeing. My roommate, who organized a clubnight, booked him for a DJ gig.
    Torch loves traveling and wants to see every remote area in Germany. To do my roommate a favour I had to organize a weekend programme for him. He turned out to be quite dogmatic and I had some rumpus with him about cultural, historical and musical subjects.
    Anyway, a few weeks ago I gave the album a try, because a lot of my friends spoke highly of it. Surprisingly It blew my mind: Fantastic productions, very poetic and philosophic lyrics, ace flows and awesome story telling. Love it!


    Did you ever read my review on that? i was mad they changed the rating...
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/sven-katmando-christ/blauer-samt/10150350591210102

    unfortunately not!

    Dieser Inhalt ist derzeit nicht verf??gbar
    Die von dir ausgew??hlte Seite kann derzeit nicht angezeigt werden. Es k??nnte sein, dass diese vorl??ufig nicht zur Verf??gung steht, der von dir verwendete Link abgelaufen ist oder du nicht die erforderliche Genehmigung hast, um die Seite zu betrachten.

    no friend of mine?

  • finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    cadeaux said:
    finelikewine said:
    cadeaux said:
    finelikewine said:
    I'm quite sure it is not the right place to talk about german rap music. Nevertheless this one of the albums overlooked when it came out in 2000.
    Back then I couldn't relate to german rap anymore and stopped listening to it. So this gem slipped through my fingers. Later on it didn't help that I had to spend a weekend with Torch to do some sightseeing. My roommate, who organized a clubnight, booked him for a DJ gig.
    Torch loves traveling and wants to see every remote area in Germany. To do my roommate a favour I had to organize a weekend programme for him. He turned out to be quite dogmatic and I had some rumpus with him about cultural, historical and musical subjects.
    Anyway, a few weeks ago I gave the album a try, because a lot of my friends spoke highly of it. Surprisingly It blew my mind: Fantastic productions, very poetic and philosophic lyrics, ace flows and awesome story telling. Love it!


    Did you ever read my review on that? i was mad they changed the rating...
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/sven-katmando-christ/blauer-samt/10150350591210102

    unfortunately not!

    Dieser Inhalt ist derzeit nicht verf??gbar
    Die von dir ausgew??hlte Seite kann derzeit nicht angezeigt werden. Es k??nnte sein, dass diese vorl??ufig nicht zur Verf??gung steht, der von dir verwendete Link abgelaufen ist oder du nicht die erforderliche Genehmigung hast, um die Seite zu betrachten.

    no friend of mine?

    not yet! But I'll chang it immediately. :-). By the way I'm the guy from the quantic gig at "party keller" a few years ago. We had some trinks together, as far as I remember. :beerbang:

  • HarveyCanal said:


    This shit bored me to death when it came out, the drums especially.

    worst drums ever.

  • finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    cadeaux said:
    finelikewine said:
    I'm quite sure it is not the right place to talk about german rap music. Nevertheless this one of the albums overlooked when it came out in 2000.
    Back then I couldn't relate to german rap anymore and stopped listening to it. So this gem slipped through my fingers. Later on it didn't help that I had to spend a weekend with Torch to do some sightseeing. My roommate, who organized a clubnight, booked him for a DJ gig.
    Torch loves traveling and wants to see every remote area in Germany. To do my roommate a favour I had to organize a weekend programme for him. He turned out to be quite dogmatic and I had some rumpus with him about cultural, historical and musical subjects.
    Anyway, a few weeks ago I gave the album a try, because a lot of my friends spoke highly of it. Surprisingly It blew my mind: Fantastic productions, very poetic and philosophic lyrics, ace flows and awesome story telling. Love it!


    Did you ever read my review on that? i was mad they changed the rating...
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/sven-katmando-christ/blauer-samt/10150350591210102

    Love your review! Especially this part:

    ???Blauer Samt??? ist mit Sicherheit die wichtigste LP diese Jahres, ein neuer Meilenstein der hiesigen HipHop Kultur, nur eine weiterer Schritt des Rappers Torch, der, vom Rapstar zum Mensch geworden, das Ruder packt und herumreisst. Heraus aus der seichten Brandung in tiefere st??rmische Gew??sser, in die sich schon lange keiner mehr gewagt hat.

    Very literate and poetical on it's own.

  • DeadgarHoover said:

    such a great album, Bowie really messed them up... woulda liked to see them to have pursued this heavier type if thing..."The Moon Upstairs" is the shit

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    HarveyCanal said:


    This shit bored me to death when it came out, the drums especially.

    worst drums ever.

    I still cant get over the drums.



    All my lady friends and party folk were reppin Mary at this point. I couldnt fusk w/ her by this album.

    I recently delved into it and appreciated where she was at. I really fusk w/ her remake of Natalie Cole Our Love.
    It still doesnt do it for me as a whole but i hatt it less now.
    Its a transitional joint from jeep beets w/ sensitivity to her graduating w/ MARY IMO.

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,105 Posts
    batmon said:
    BallzDeep said:
    HarveyCanal said:


    This shit bored me to death when it came out, the drums especially.

    worst drums ever.

    I still cant get over the drums.

    If you really like end up liking The Infamous then you should give Hell On Earth another chance. I loved those drums on the first album and it was a grower for me...

    For me it's been this lately:


    I knew a couple of the hits, but this is amazing.

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,105 Posts
    If you really like end up liking The Infamous then you should give Hell On Earth another chance. I loved those drums on the first album and it was a grower for me...
    Then try The War Report by CNN. Always been under-appreciated. This slowed down version on utub is super smoked out!


  • DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:
    BallzDeep said:
    HarveyCanal said:


    This shit bored me to death when it came out, the drums especially.

    worst drums ever.

    I still cant get over the drums.

    So why does everybody hate the drums?

  • JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,919 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    joni mitchell- heijra

    Her best work, IMHO. Everything works for me.

  • Alice Coltrane.

    always thought it was religious harp (i don't like either things) music, so never really got to checking the albums properly. oops. Journey... and Ptah... are amazing. still not into the others yet, as there seems to be no Joe Henderson or Pharoah Sanders, but maybe they are growers...

  • skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    YES to the Joni Mitchell, particularly Hissing.

    I actively wanted to dislike those albums, and dared them to prove me wrong, and recently they did.

    Add to that the Van album w/ Moondance, gave up on it after two listens many years ago but last year a revisit revealed greatness.

    Still not hearing Nick Drake though.

    Outlier event recently: the Hue And Cry back catalogue.
    Not 'classic' status maybe, but so good to delve into that million-dollar-pop sound of the shiny neon 80s again.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    batmon said:
    BallzDeep said:
    HarveyCanal said:


    This shit bored me to death when it came out, the drums especially.

    worst drums ever.

    I still cant get over the drums.

    So why does everybody hate the drums?

    too loud and prominant and very stiff at times.
Sign In or Register to comment.