Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
Enough debating.

Its time to make a pie chart.

VS

Gut reaction.

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Current figures indicate more strutlove for OTW.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Weve done this before and Thriller won out.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Strutters have already spoke in the Soul Strut 100

:shh:

• not all thriller fans are mouth-breathers,
    but all mouth-breathers are thriller fans.

For a bunch of Thriller fans, OTW is leading by quite a majority right now.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Too close to choose.

• Off the wall

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    Perhaps, but in recent years the pendulm of cool has swung back and it has subsequently become very fashionable to choose the more focused/workmanlike shit over the more chaotic/riskier shit, and I would not be at all suprised if the competent boogie of Off The Wall upset Thriller's bizarro crossover moves.

I'm not necessarily saying that's not as it should be, only that it would certainly be the "cool" way for this to shake out.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Thriller cuz my girls ex helped produce OTW. And he's a fuckin stalker.

Fuck... its OTW 29 - 9 Thriller

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I want to switch my vote from thriller to otw.

james said:
    batmon said:
    Perhaps, but in recent years the pendulm of cool has swung back and it has subsequently become very fashionable to choose the more focused/workmanlike shit over the more chaotic/riskier shit, and I would not be at all suprised if the competent boogie of Off The Wall upset Thriller's bizarro crossover moves.

I'm not necessarily saying that's not as it should be, only that it would certainly be the "cool" way for this to shake out.

yeah.

Years ago when i presented this VS. dudes were all about Thriller.
    younger cats were open on thriller and my arguement was they didnt bump nor did their parents bump otw in 79' especially during the anti-disco era. MJ coverted those hatters with Thriller.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Hard to believe it's been two years since Michael passed. I choose Thriller.

• Five years ago I would have definitely said Off The Wall but now I go back to Thriller more.

Let the avatar tell it!!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Mike from OTW, you could picture hanging at the clurb and laughing as he danced his ass off to his own stuff.

Mike from Thriller is mugging with McCartney and nodding to The Label suggesting Eddie Van Halen pays you a visit.

I mean, they were both pre-Eyeliner Mike, and solid, solid sets with a heap of good memories for me. But when I hear Mike sing on OTW, it's like he really means it. "I Can't Help It" is like the pinnacle of Mike for me.

For me, OTW has a strong sense of Mike rocking with a vibe uncontaminated by the fame game... digging the freedom of going solo and enjoying the ride to the top.
    batmon

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:

For me, OTW has a strong sense of Mike rocking with a vibe uncontaminated by the fame game... digging the freedom of going solo and enjoying the ride to the top.

J i m s t e r said:
    Mike from OTW, you could picture hanging at the clurb and laughing as he danced his ass off to his own stuff.

Mike from Thriller is mugging with McCartney and nodding to The Label suggesting Eddie Van Halen pays you a visit.

I mean, they were both pre-Eyeliner Mike, and solid, solid sets with a heap of good memories for me. But when I hear Mike sing on OTW, it's like he really means it. "I Can't Help It" is like the pinnacle of Mike for me.

especially on i can't help it

OK, I want to change my vote back to Thriller.

By the time Off came out we knew Michael could dance, and we were hoping for an acting career as well.
    Off was the young adult Michael saying he was ready to go to the club, and we went with him.

But it was a few years later that he wowed the world with his dancing on M 25th show.
    That was the introduction to the new new Michael. The greatest dancer in the world Michael.
    Thriller was the lp, through videos, that we were able to see Michael The Dancer.
    Make no mistake, he shook the (professional) dance world and was as great a dancer as he was song writer and singer. Yes, that great. And Thriller was the lp that introduced and showcased that dancer.

(And yes, I know that he always danced, and was always great, and that Wiz was a showcase for his dancing skills. But really, Thriller was the dancing Michael, Off was the club Michael.)

my thang is the music on OTW was more funky and organic.

Thriller stripped that down and kept minor traces of that Boogie Funk.
    That was fitting for the era but i find the musicianship superior on OTW.

The basslines are sick. Along with the horns that were gone in a alotta R&B by the early eighties.

Music vs Music OTW
    Impact vs Impact THR

Thriller has a stiffness/coldness to it that i find interesting yet "souless"....imo.

batmon said:

The basslines are sick. Along with the horns that were gone in a alotta R&B by the early eighties.

Music vs Music OTW
    Impact vs Impact THR

Thriller has a stiffness/coldness to it that i find interesting yet "souless"....imo.

I wouldn't argue with any of that. In fact I would cosine.
    I think a good word for Thriller would be calculated.
    I think a good word for Off would be expressive.

I am changing my vote back to Off.

otw - spit
    thriller - lube

• StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
    Kinda reminds me of the PE vs Outcast discussion,
    in the sense that Thriller, much like PE is not only loved for the actual music on the record, but the impact it had culturally. Many associate their life during that year with the record. On purely musical level, I really don't see how Thriller wins out. OTW's production is untouchable to me.

• LaserWolf said:
    I am changing my vote back to Off.

• Happy 30th, Thriller.

• Happy Birthday Thriller.

I voted Off The Wall.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    THIS: Thriller stripped that down and kept minor traces of that Boogie Funk. 

I choose Thriller.  I think the songs are better and the sound is still pretty singular.  

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    batmon said:

Music vs Music OTW
    Impact vs Impact THR

"Off the Wall" moved me way more than "Thriller", but both are great LPs.  I think QJP and Rod Temperton laid down the boogie blueprint with "Off the Wall."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    batmon said:

Music vs Music OTW
    Impact vs Impact THR

"Off the Wall" moved me way more than "Thriller", but both are great LPs.  I think QJP and Rod Temperton laid down the boogie blueprint with "Off the Wall."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
     with the man Stacks.

OFW > Thriller