Yo, where my Entomologists at?

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,908 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Saw this fly in the back yard yesterday. Pls 2b ID-ful... Brown, furry, bee size, long needle ting looking like he packing enough disease to floor twenty-five motherf*ckers.

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,908 Posts
    Coop: It's not a unicorn.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Coop: It's not a unicorn.

Well, good luck getting it to play music for you, then. Looks like a cross between a gerbil and those flying balls from Phantasm.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bee.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Its a bee fly.

Bzzzzzzzz

• J i m s t e r said:
    Saw this fly in the back yard yesterday. Pls 2b ID-ful... Brown, furry, bee size, long needle ting looking like he packing enough disease to floor twenty-five motherf*ckers.

pfft.

that's nothing compared to this decepticon wasp i snapped, whatever it is...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    Its a bee fly.

Bzzzzzzzz

Cool, I've seen these in my garden and they act a lot like Hummingbirds. I always wondered what they were.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

it could be a sawfly. about 2 inches long with the needle? i had one similar in my kitchen last summer, but i think there are a few varieties bcos this one wasn't furry and was more black and yellow and wasp like. came out from behind the cereal box by the window sill and had me shook. i left it trapped under a pint glass to scare the shit outta my flatmate when he returned from work. sadly i didnt consider the combination of heat and lack of oxygen and the feller died. but better that than one of us dying i suppose.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    Its a bee fly.

Bzzzzzzzz

Cool, I've seen these in my garden and they act a lot like Hummingbirds. I always wondered what they were.

we get them in our garden as well, in the mid summer months. they will size you up like the smoke monster.

• Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    Its a bee fly.

Bzzzzzzzz

If there are two things I'm scared of, the second one is now THIS.

Correct calls here as well as on fb. Thanks.

Culprit id'd as the bee fly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombylius_major

Never seen one in the UK before. Although, I am from a place where dogshit is considered exotic.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Here's a third...

The May Bug, yaoming ?

Sounds like stones hitting your window late at night.

neil_something said:
    J i m s t e r said:

pfft.

that's nothing compared to this decepticon wasp i snapped, whatever it is...

Was that in the UK Neil? Reminds me a bit of the Russian Timber Wasps, which we used to get in the timber yard. They would thaw out once the timber warmed up in the UK and wake up hella pissed. Tennis Racket jobs.

Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    Here's a third...

The May Bug, yaoming ?

Sounds like stones hitting your window late at night.

Had one already!