Do TSA Agents Steal Laptops?

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
I think this story is true, friend of a friend.

Went through security with 2 kids. They made her go through 3 times.
When she went to pick up her stuff her laptop was gone.
TSA just shrugged their shoulders. Police took a report.

Gone.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    no way that could never happen

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Chances are a random stranger took it with their carry on and just walked away. It can be a clusterfuck if it's busy and most people are rushing trying to grab their stuff and make room for the next person. Highly doubt it was TSA.

• Options
    day said:
    Chances are a random stranger took it with their carry on and just walked away. It can be a clusterfuck if it's busy and most people are rushing trying to grab their stuff and make room for the next person. Highly doubt it was TSA.

I don't. It happens frequently.

http://www.google.com/search?q=tsa+agents+stealing&hl=en&num=10&lr;=&ft=i&cr;=&safe=off&tbs;=

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/tsa-agents-accused-of-stealing-cash-from-elderly-woman-in-wheelchair-94179834.html

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yeah, not saying it couldn't happen (http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2010/12/17/tsa-worker-avoids-prison-after-stealing-travelers-laptops), but this sounds like she got held up with her stuff sitting on the other side and someone walked off with the laptop. Who knows though. That's pure speculation on my part.

Either way not much is gonna come of this unfortunately.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This is unfortunately one of those questions where you can ask it about almost any profession and the answer is always the same.......there are thieves in every walk of life.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I would think that whoever took it would have been caught on a camera - did she request to see security footage?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    There was a scam a while back where two people would work together. One would intentionally hold up the process by "forgetting" random metal things in his or her pocket. Meanwhile the belongings of the people behind him would go through the conveyor belt thing and someone on the other side would walk off with laptops, camera bags, etc. I never take my eyes off my stuff no matter how far I am from it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Herm said:
    There was a scam a while back where two people would work together. One would intentionally hold up the process by "forgetting" random metal things in his or her pocket. Meanwhile the belongings of the people behind him would go through the conveyor belt thing and someone on the other side would walk off with laptops, camera bags, etc. I never take my eyes off my stuff no matter how far I am from it.

And if I saw somebody steal my shit, security indeed would be needed. :real_headz:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak