What the Hell Are These?

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,781 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
I see them around the net lately.

Is this some magic eye shit?

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I think you're supposed to scan those with your fancy phone and then magic appears.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    From what I understand, you're supposed to scan them with your iPhone? I've been seeing them on subway ads lately, too. Alas, my phone barely even takes a decent picture. so I probably won't be scanning anything for the forseeable future.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I think its similar to a barcode but for iPhones. I believe you scan it with the phone and it navigates you (via the net) to where you can purchase said item. I could be completely wrong though.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    haha thats some 1984 shit..

I can only see half of my old ass Nokia screen. edit: a quarter. what number pops up on that little part is all im scanning

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I think each phone or blackberry has each own also, so to add someone to BB Messenger, I just take a picture of their phones cods, and it adds all the contact info.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    :eyeball:

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,471 Posts
    although i am anti cellphone, these are used all over the place now, mainly in news papers here...if you scan the pic with one of those fancy phone thingy-ma-jiggies it will take navigate you to a page with more info on whats in the paper.

theres one in the local free paper i am reading now:

1.download the free scanLife app with your smartphone@ 2dscan.com

2.use the scalife app on your phone to scan 2D barcodes in "The Metro" (--name of said free paper)

3.the codes will direct your mobile browser to relevant content @ m.metronews.ca

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Check out google goggles, it can scan anything, including qr codes:
    http://www.google.com/mobile/goggles/

Scan a business card, take a picture of some product and it give you links to buy it online.
    Pretty fascinating technology. Heard they are working on face recognition for it now.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,902 Posts
    These have been around for awhile now. But according to Gizmodo (Via Google) QR Codes are dead.

http://ca.gizmodo.com/5787427/qr-codes-goodbye-and-good-riddance

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Coke and beer distributors et al, also use them. Each bear / restaurant has one and the guy comes with his wierd palm looking thing, scans it and enters the amount of beer boxes or whatever the bar needs...

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    DOR said:
    These have been around for awhile now. But according to Gizmodo (Via Google) QR Codes are dead.

Yeah right they are going to standardize a hardware chip across all phones. Dream on. I think QR will morph a little in look and feel, but stay around for quite a while.

They have tried that "swipe to pay" bs in credit cards for about ten years now, does your CC have one?
    Only reason google is moving that way is they bought out the biggest company doing this sort of thing.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    jaysus said:
    DOR said:

Yeah right they are going to standardize a hardware chip across all phones. Dream on. I think QR will morph a little in look and feel, but stay around for quite a while.

They have tried that "swipe to pay" bs in credit cards for about ten years now, does your CC have one?
    Only reason google is moving that way is they bought out the biggest company doing this sort of thing.

Yeah, this is like Steve Jobs saying that we now live in a "post-PC world".

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    what i find infuriating is the use of this in governmental campaigns and police PSV
    its the same thing as those follow us on twitter buttons from organizations whose head executives probably double click their inbox links