For everybody who says Banksy is overrated...

13»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    people really feeling the banksy simpsons collabo? with the dark scary music? was that supposed to be some sort of profound commentary on something? corny.

Personally, I thought one of the things it was meant as was a pisstake of people who saw it as "some sort of profound commentary on something". As always, your mileage may vary.

• DocMcCoy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    people really feeling the banksy simpsons collabo? with the dark scary music? was that supposed to be some sort of profound commentary on something? corny.

Personally, I thought one of the things it was meant as was a pisstake of people who saw it as "some sort of profound commentary on something". As always, your mileage may vary.

lol; right bro: it was surely a faux-earnest commentary on consumerism, in reality intended to be a joke. far be it from the one banksy to take himself too seriously, right? nonsense. (though I must say that is a great fall back position for banksy when his political art ends up coming off so corny).

• street_muzik said:
    He's aite but he's no Reminisce.

• Okem said:

Who the fuck in this thread is "fawning"?

i'll fawn,

regardless of the 2010 scenario, the man has had winners in the past.
    lots of em

that's enough for me...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,906 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

lol; right bro: it was surely a faux-earnest commentary on consumerism, in reality intended to be a joke. far be it from the one banksy to take himself too seriously, right? nonsense. (though I must say that is a great fall back position for banksy when his political art ends up coming off so corny).

I think he was just having fun having a pop at the global brand the show has become. Having a pop at stuff is what he does. Nice to see Groaning and dem can laugh at themselves. Lie ten-up, hay tears.

rootlesscosmo said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Personally, I would have thought it as clear as the nose on your or anyone else's face that Banksy doesn't take himself that seriously. Bear in mind that it's possible to be both serious and to not take yourself too seriously, and I'd argue that Banksy does this all the time.

Going by many of the observations made on previous Banksy threads, it strikes me that folks on the other side of the Atlantic often seem to take what he does very literally and/or at face value, as if it could never be any more than what it appears to be. Something else that many of you miss, and this is perhaps more understandable, is the humour. I'm not talking about "irony", although there's plenty of that, but about a very dry, slightly whimsical pranksterishness that runs through almost everything he does; something that's very easily missed, particularly if you're preoccupied with projecting this superficial idea of earnestness onto his work. If he's "about" anything (imho), he's about encouraging people to pay attention to what's going on around them, rather than looking straight ahead the whole time.

J i m s t e r said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

I think he was just having fun having a pop at the global brand the show has become. Having a pop at stuff is what he does. Nice to see Groaning and dem can laugh at themselves. Lie ten-up, hay tears.

He was also having a pop at the global brand he's become - and without anyone knowing his real name or what he looks like either, I might add. Anyone who thinks he's not fully aware of that contradiction, and that he's not having a bit of a laugh with it, is probably in the wrong thread.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Could it be...

Kyzer Soze = Verbal Kint

Ray Finkel = Lois Einhorn

Doc McCoy = Banksy

?

• DocMcCoy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Personally, I would have thought it as clear as the nose on your or anyone else's face that Banksy doesn't take himself that seriously. Bear in mind that it's possible to be both serious and to not take yourself too seriously, and I'd argue that Banksy does this all the time.

Going by many of the observations made on previous Banksy threads, it strikes me that folks on the other side of the Atlantic often seem to take what he does very literally and/or at face value, as if it could never be any more than what it appears to be. Something else that many of you miss, and this is perhaps more understandable, is the humour. I'm not talking about "irony", although there's plenty of that, but about a very dry, slightly whimsical pranksterishness that runs through almost everything he does; something that's very easily missed, particularly if you're preoccupied with projecting this superficial idea of earnestness onto his work. If he's "about" anything (imho), he's about encouraging people to pay attention to what's going on around them, rather than looking straight ahead the whole time.

I don't know how anyone who's taken a look at his book "wall and piece" can claim that the guy doesn't consider himself some sort of serious commentator. But hey, like I said, he's concocted a convenient persona that has some people rolling their eyes (me) and some people nodding their heads (you). I guess one of us is being hoodwinked. I think it's you, but then again I don't know the dude.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Huh? That's how I saw it. I watched it over someone's shoulder on their monitor, and my first reaction was - 'is the Simpsons / Banksy making fun of over-earnest, annoying environmentalists?"

It's hardy that deep of a notion to simultaneously comment on something AND parody your commentary. ie pointing out the consumerism the Simpsons has spawned over the years, AND at the same time mocking the hysteria / hypocrisy of many anti-consumerism chest-renders. I mean, abused unicorns? You all think that was supped to be a serious comment on labor abuses?

I mean, it was just the opening scene to a sitcom FFS. It was mildly amusing and clever.
    SoulOnIce said:
    my favorite thing about Banksy is how asshurt he makes soul strut dudes.

** But then again, I'm pretty dense, so maybe I'm missing you all's point?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    brokenrecord said:
    so maybe I'm missing you all's point?

WEAK...be a man and just say y'all's.

• Sorry - maybe I was missing youse guys point.