GAYNGS

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    YES.

I heard of them before but dismissed 'em as some cheesy hipster nonsense. (Which, in all fairness, isn't too far from the truth.) Caught that late night performance in a hotel last week and downloaded it (the song) immediately. How's the rest of the album?

• not my cup or fair trade coffee

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Herm said:
    YES.

I heard of them before but dismissed 'em as some cheesy hipster nonsense. (Which, in all fairness, isn't too far from the truth.) Caught that late night performance in a hotel last week and downloaded it (the song) immediately. How's the rest of the album?

havent listened to it all yet but seems pretty decent. the Fallon performance was great to me too. yea they are on some hipster shit but i like it.

behemoth said:
    Herm said:
    YES.

havent listened to it all yet but seems pretty decent. the Fallon performance was great to me too. yea they are on some hipster shit but i like it.

and yes the autotune. the Kenny G sax. all pretty cheesy. but i like how they got balls. plus i think it sounds good...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    behemoth said:
    Herm said:
    YES.

Yeah, I'm more mad at myself for being quick to judge/dismiss stuff like this as an instant reaction, but I've been right so many times that it's hard not to!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i just learned of them and saw them last sunday at bowery ballroom. from my understanding, they're a bunch of musicians from other groups. i caught the tail end of their show, which was pretty entertaining. they and their audience would prob be considered on that hipster tip, but whatevs. they had fun and played well. stoked that they did a cover of alan parsons project "eye in the sky" for their encore.

from what i heard on the album it's not bad. i'd have to give it more burn.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Haha. I know some of those guys but haven't checked it out yet. Thats awesome that they were on Fallon.

• Yup! That's my dudes. GAYNGS is a Minneapolis supergroup, comprised of members of local groups Solid Gold, Building Better Bombs, Megafaun, Doomtree, Roma di Luna, plus the main dude from Bon Iver. The album is fantastic - 100% unironic and very well-crafted soft rock. I did a remix of "On the Gaudy Side of Town" for them that will hopefully be seeing the light of day soon.

Check their cover of (the song AND video) Godfrey & Creme's Cry:

TRUE STOOOREEEEE:
    On the day of their album release show earlier this year at First Avenue, Prince was listening to them on the radio, called up First Avenue, and told them he really wanted to check out the show and maybe come on stage and play with them. First Ave was like "Of course Prince!" So he's watching the show from up in the owner's box / crow's nest and the twitters and texts start to circulate "Holy shit, Prince is here" etc. Then they escalate to "HOLY SHIT, Prince is standing backstage holding a guitar!" Ryan Olson, the main dude from Gayngs, stepped over to Prince to tell him what songs were coming up, letting him know when he could come up and get his Prince on. After a few songs, Ryan checks back in with him, Prince tells him "You guys don't need me," and then walked off.

On a shitty note, the band was slated to play at Austin City Limits today, but all of their gear was stolen last night.

TheeeCasualMale said:

On a shitty note, the band was slated to play at Austin City Limits today, but all of their gear was stolen last night.

actually i read that their gear wasn't stolen at all. the bus driver got confused and drove halfway across the country. gear is safe. driver most likely fired haha.

• OOF.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    Mik**600 summed up what I was thinking. Funny story about Prince though!

I liked the album head to tail and didn't find it overly ironic. The Kenny G sax is played (if I'm not mistaken) by Michael Lewis, one of the realest saxophonists in the twin cities. His group Happy Apple with Dave King is killer. I was bummed I missed their prom party but it seems like they might actually try to make something out of it. Good for those dudes.