Watch the This Is the Life doc for free

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think Joey Crack was considered a dope MC prior to doing that hip-pop song with Ashanti ("What's Love Got to Do, Got to Do") and getting dissed by Fifty Cent.

By whom?

Most everyone I know has always been mystified by how anybody that wack even had a deal. It's not like the public was ever clamoring for some Joe. If anything, he actually stepped it up slightly later in his career (or started messing with better ghostwriters).

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I know both of you dudes were nodding your heads and doing the Roc-A-Away when "Lean Back" came out.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    wow

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I know both of you dudes were nodding your heads and doing the Roc-A-Away when "Lean Back" came out.

As I said, he stepped it up a little later in his career, and that record was a good decade after the event we're talking about.

In any event, it's all about the beat with that one.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    It's buggin me the fuck out this was 20 years ago

I can't say enough about CVE-FSH and their influence on L.A Hip Hop.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's buggin me the fuck out this was 20 years ago

I can't say enough about CVE-FSH and their influence on L.A Hip Hop.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I think Joey Crack was considered a dope MC prior to doing that hip-pop song with Ashanti ("What's Love Got to Do, Got to Do") and getting dissed by Fifty Cent.

By whom?

Most everyone I know has always been mystified by how anybody that wack even had a deal. It's not like the public was ever clamoring for some Joe. If anything, he actually stepped it up slightly later in his career (or started messing with better ghostwriters).

Yup, pretty much. Just because Fat Joe had some dope songs doesn't mean that he's a good rapper. I can't think of anyone from 1993 through "We Thuggin'" - which is pretty much when he mad his first big foray into the crossover sound - that checked for dude as an MC. I know I never did, and in fact I always felt his raps were so bad that they were good. And I always really liked his songs.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think Joey Crack was considered a dope MC

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's pretty awesome. One of these days I'll put the legwork into finding out why places like Ya Mama's, and events like Unsigned & Hella Broke never developed either the community or the talent that Good Life did.

Damn, you just took me back with the nod to Ya Mama's.

I think there's a lot of reasons why the Bay never achieved the same kind of community - but I'd approach it more from the other direction - what allowed the Good Life to come together? I think what it achieved is remarkable, but more importantly, rare. There's so many things to overcome (least of all in LA). In most cities, you could try but when it "works" it's some lightning-in-a-bottle.

I think the Bay could have gotten there but personally, I think the geography was too much to overcome, not to mention the stylistic differences Harvey was referring to