Laura Nyro/Labelle latte pass

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
How the hell did I sleep on this album for so long? So. F*cking. Good.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    A few years ago I received promo copies of some Laura Nyro reissues. Gonna Take A Miracle was the only one I kept. This IS good...

• Options

So. F*cking. Good.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    The Bells be heat.

Two strong and seemingly complimentary forces do not always work. I should love that record because I love both Laura Nyro and Labelle--not to mention the G & H production, but the LP is just good. Not great. Eli and the 13th and Season of Light are both better records.

So. F*cking. Good.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Someone needs to REALHEADZ it.

Someone needs to REALHEADZ it.

lets see what i can do.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I cannot get with Laura Nyro. Her voice has a flat, glaring, Clay-Aiken-like quality that seems to sit right on the surface of whatever she's up against--always blowing outward, but never really digging in. And I don't mean this as cruelly as it's going to sound, but: While a lisp can sometimes work, in the context of a voice so otherwise devoid of fiber it drives me fucking crazy, and not in a good way.

I was googling pics for laura nyro because back in the day she was mad blappable and I found this:

wtf? "Yeah, squat down like your peeing in the street. A perfect shot for the CD cover."

anyways...

Nyro's birth name was...

Nigro[/b].

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's gonna take a miracuh
    Tu mae me luh sa wa nu

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Predictably I like this.

Her lps, this one maybe more than others, have a wide dynamic range. (lots of loud and soft)

Audiophiles should therefore be sweating them, but I don't think they are.
    What's the deal?

I was googling pics for laura nyro because back in the day she was mad blappable and I found this:

wtf? "Yeah, squat down like your peeing in the street. A perfect shot for the CD cover."

Laura Wolfe is still hot, though. Suede patchwork bell-bottoms and all.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I cannot get with Laura Nyro. Her voice has a flat, glaring, Clay-Aiken-like quality that seems to sit right on the surface of whatever she's up against--always blowing outward, but never really digging in. And I don't mean this as cruelly as it's going to sound, but: While a lisp can sometimes work, in the context of a voice so otherwise devoid of fiber it drives me fucking crazy, and not in a good way.

I can't say I'm a big fan of Nyro's voice either but I think it works here well-enough.

Clay Aiken...Ouch!

It's gonna take a miracuh
    Tu mae me luh sa wa nu

The RZA sings?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

My sister was a big Nyro fan.
    This record was the first time I really heard most of those songs.

The songs on that record are great.

In retrospect, it is kind of a vanity record.
    Nyro was a songwriter first, singer second.
    She decided to do a record of group vocal hits and got the best group she could to back her up.
    This might be your only chance to hear a whole record of Labelle with out hearing Patti over sing.
    Of course the down side is you hear Nyro over sing instead.

Still, I think this sounds pretty good.

This might be your only chance to hear a whole record of Labelle with out hearing Patti over sing.
    Of course the down side is you hear Nyro over sing instead.

Well said.

I think this is a record for people who like to put mayonnaise on everything.

Well said.

I think this is a record for people who like to put mayonnaise on everything.

That hurts.

A group vocal record for people who don't like group vocals?

I received a promo of Miracle on the same day as two reissues of her other albums...believe me, compared to her other shrill records, Nyro is restrained here.

That's what gets me about this record...nearly everybody involved with this album was a master of excess. Nyro, Gamble, Huff, all three members of LaBelle (ESPECIALLY Patti). Yet they managed to check their egos at the door.

I haven't played this disc in a while, but I only remember them really hamming it up on one song, and that was towards the end (of the song, not an album). I forget which tune it was, but Nyro and the entire LaBelle trio are just "showin' out" like they're trying to scream each other off the record, and then Nyro caps it off by singing "I wish I could shimmy like my sister Kate." WTF??? THAT was her tacky way of throwing in an ad-lib??? Yikes...

But the rest of the time, they do alright.