how to fight bass feedback/rumble

13»

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    come on soulstrut... brave the fraggle-rock-laden union pool, and check out the boy.

Seriously, this is great shit you just aren't going to hear anywhere else.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I didn't get a feedback destroyer for my gig this past Wednesday but instead I used an old DOD one-channel rackmount EQ I had at the house. Using the low cut button we were able to eliminate most of our feedback problems while retaining most of the bass. Converting the signal to mono was an added bonus because the club's PA has one stereo channel on the dancefloor while the other is in the poolroom. Now we no longer had drums in one room and horn sections in the other. A cheap and effective solution all around.

What I didn't count on was no less than THREE club staffmembers chiding me (and my co-DJ) for adding an extra unit to their signal chain without asking them first. Never mind that they've known about the problem for 5 weeks and did NOTHING. Never mind that my solution WORKED. Never mind that I left the system as I found it (I assume so anyway - mannybolone you used it the next night). All they gave me was grief all night.

Don't get me wrong - I understood their concerns about DJ's fiddling with the PA. But when management doesn't fix a problem, then they leave it to the DJs to fix it themselves. The classic moment came when I told their soundman that I brought the EQ so we could have more control over the bass.

"We already have a 30-band EQ in the house system," he informed me.
    "Oh I didn't see it. Where is it?"
    "Well it's behind that grill."
    "So can I adjust it?"
    "No, we installed the grill so the DJ's can't mess with it."

• JahLarryJahLarry 62 Posts
    So psyched for tonight!

For the love of God NYC Soulstrut, get out tonight, it is going to be so fun.

And think about it - after all this "staring at the laptop" talk, Frank is going to have to perform up there!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'll be in the house con wifey.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    got better but still not 100% resolved... will try other needles and getting an EQ so I can cut everything below 80.
    The struggle continues.

It was great fun though!
    Big thanx to Ian, Zach, Tom and Jonny!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Really interesting and informative thread. I have had feedback problems in the past. I wish I'd asked for help then.

Somebody needs to buy Frank a "Get Off My Lawn" tee and take picture of him in it at the gig. I think he wears a large.

• Options
    Any news/discoveries that you all have had over the past year?

golly gosh darn bass rumble