WHEN DID RAPP-

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
-stop being underground in your opinion/mindgarden?

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    when rappers delight dropped.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    fred executing mad skratches.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I don't get it - if Barney's a rapper, why is he dressed like a genie?

(in the first clip)

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    so aussie's were up on rap pre-rapper's delite?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I don't get it - if Barney's a rapper, why is he dressed like a genie?

(in the first clip)

Those are MC Hammer pants...

No, and I doubt most people on here where either.

What im saying is once hip hop/rap music had its first big radio exposure it stopped being underground, before that you had to be from NY or around there to have been able to hear it or see it it. Rappers delight is the start of hip hop getting mainstream exposure.

Although in an aussie context it was 'buffolo gals' that had the most impact here cus the clip had all the elements in it.

This clip has to represent some type of rock bottom moment right here...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

And the Mel Brooks "It's Good To Be The King" song too, that was probably a bit earlier even...

And the Mel Brooks "It's Good To Be The King" song too, that was probably a bit earlier even...

and dont forget the classic "to be or not to be (Nazi Rap)".... My sister used to jam that song hard b.i.t.d

What im saying is once hip hop/rap music had its first big radio exposure it stopped being underground, before that you had to be from NY or around there to have been able to hear it or see it it. Rappers delight is the start of hip hop getting mainstream exposure.

Although in an aussie context it was 'buffolo gals' that had the most impact here cus the clip had all the elements in it.

Even if certain songs made it above ground or get radio love, Hip Hop's "Underground" was very much alive by the early 90's.

The mixtape game was healthy throughout the mid 90's.

Shit - Look at what 50 Cent did before he got w/ Dre.

When Run-DMC/Raisin Hell broke-out there was a whole nother set of artists never getting regular radio love - only on some DNA-Hank Love/Teddy Tedd spin.

Its an old ass question. What's that dirty "real" shit while the other shit got some above-ground exposure.

One has to look at how the industry evolved during the 80's/90's.

My guess is when the "Bling Era" exploded.

In my years of listening to The Rapp, there has always been that handfull of cats that were doin it beneath videos/radio/and whatever industrial vehicle drew the regular public.

Even if certain songs made it above ground or get radio love, Hip Hop's "Underground" was very much alive by the early 90's.

When Run-DMC/Raisin Hell broke-out there was a whole nother set of artists never getting regular radio love - only on some DNA-Hank Love/Teddy Tedd spin.

Its an old ass question. What's that dirty "real" shit while the other shit got some above-ground exposure.

In my years of listening to The Rapp, there has always been that handfull of cats that were doin it beneath videos/radio/and whatever industrial vehicle drew the regular public.

Yeah but on that point of arguement you could say hip hop is still underground cus every city will have some current acts that are dropping killer shit that probably aint known outside of that city.

Once the first rap record hit the charts then the rap music was no longer 'underground' as it was exposed for the world to F*ck with, like all those commecials above, before rap hit the charts you would have had gotten invited by someone in the scene to go down to a party, like Malcolm maclaren did, if you wanted to use the sound/image....

I think you can say different artists or styles may be underground to a certain extent (cus the internet has changed the underground) but the actual sound/culture/genre of rap music is mainstream, and has been for decades... I mean whens the last time you had to explain to someone what 'rap' sounds like?

Yeah but on that point of arguement you could say hip hop is still underground cus every city will have some current acts that are dropping killer shit that probably aint known outside of that city.

Once the first rap record hit the charts then the rap music was no longer 'underground' as it was exposed for the world to F*ck with, like all those commecials above, before rap hit the charts you would have had gotten invited by someone in the scene to go down to a party, like Malcolm maclaren did, if you wanted to use the sound/image....

I think you can say different artists or styles may be underground to a certain extent (cus the internet has changed the underground) but the actual sound/culture/genre of rap music is mainstream, and has been for decades... I mean whens the last time you had to explain to someone what 'rap' sounds like?

Foe every K.O.B.E. there's a Kevin Martin.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    For every Kobe steak there is a big mac.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Please to poast more novelty rap songs for the lolz

•  <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> 

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

This shit is such hot fire.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    -stop being underground in your opinion/mindgarden?

When rapp became rap.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'M HOT, AND UR NOT, SO TOP THAT!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    WHO CAN DO HIP HOP BETTER THAN A FROG CAN STREET FROGS STREET FROGS

also, Kid N Play cartoon