Important Things With Dimitri Martin

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Who rides? I think its pretty funny. Funny enough to DVR anyways.He had a line about how its cool when bands smash instruments and accapella groups punching each other in the face. I thought it was funny.

Comments

• I ride. Ocean County NJ in the house..

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    there are funny parts, but he's not likable which makes the unfunny parts unbearable.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    You don't think he's likable? I like him just fine.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    70%/30% funny/unfunny
    The actor skit and the Shakespeare/Galileo/Ben Franklin skit were my favorites so far. It's spotty, but light years better than the 15%/85% ratio that Mencia was running.
    I miss Chappelle.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

a little too cutesy for my taste.

He seems to be gunning hard for hipster vajayjay.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Now I'm starting to wonder what his soulstrut screen name is....

I didn't say Asian hipster vajayjay

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

i think he lurks as Dizzy Bull or something like that

• I liked him better 20 years ago.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I liked him better 20 years ago.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    this guy makes me chuckle. it's a bit forced, and it's like he's begging to be cast in a wes anderson movie, but it's pretty great intelligent observational humor.

back when he was doing edinburgh and some comedy central and all that i vaguely knew of him. and there was something i couldn't place about him then one day it all came back to me. i knew a greek kid in elementary school named jeremy martin. he had a younger brother named dimitri or demetrios or some shit. don't know if it's the same guy but one day in central park i whipped a lot of rocks at jeremy's younger brother's head back when he was 8 years old. so in case you're reading this, sorry. the end.

• I dig the stand up portions; some of the sketch stuff is dulllllll.

the 'begging to be cast in a Wes Anderson movie,' seems about right when his, 'acting,' comes in to play.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I listened to his CD last year, and thought it was somewhat funny. I just tried watching him on TV and thought he was horribly unfunny. I'm pretty sure it's the stupid props that kill it.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    he said something like "Whale watching, or as I like to call it 'water watching'" that had me rolling too.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I saw him do stand-up a few years ago, so I was pretty happy to see him get his own show. It started out great (I seem to remember he made a good joke about djs), but the last few episode have been really strained, like they've used up all their good material.

The opposite could be said about the new series of Flight of the Concords, which started out a bit weak and ended up awsm.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    I saw him do stand-up a few years ago, so I was pretty happy to see him get his own show. It started out great (I seem to remember he made a good joke about djs), but the last few episode have been really strained, like they've used up all their good material.

The opposite could be said about the new series of Flight of the Concords, which started out a bit weak and ended up awsm.

i thought this season on Conchords was awful

if they are on a season to season basis it wont be back next year

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Conchords was hit or miss this season, but there were some really good episodes. Heavy on the Murray, feeling that..

Really liked Demetri Martin a couple years ago, think I saw him on Conan in '05. Saw him live once, and I was happy to see him get onto the Daily Show, but something about a weekly show sounded wrong. I barely made it through one episode, but I might have to give it another chance after reading this thread...

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

i thought this season on Conchords was awful

if they are on a season to season basis it wont be back next year
    dam, i thought this last season of FOTC was really good
    their videos went to a whole other level and the songs were more relevant to the plot of each episode
    dave raps killed it

this demitri show started pretty cool but then it when down hill i think

• I thought the exact opposite of this season of conchords; songs seemed less relevent, and some of the plots just drug to a RIDICULOUSLY SLOW pace.

Couple winners in there, but overall, a serious dissapointment.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    the plot didnt go anywhere on FOTC. it was horrible!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I remember reading an interview with FOTC, whilst they were writing season 2, and they they said they were going to be concentrating more on production values than quantity, and were a little worried cause the musical material from last season had been written and honed over time, now they were having to force out a whole new act.
    Which to me sounds very much like they were suffering from difficult second album syndrome.
    But you're right Behemoth, it showed, it's nowhere near as good as the first season, but some of the later episodes were great.

I'm not sure who writes the actual show? But Michel Gondry directed an episode this season.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Couple winners in there, but overall, a serious dissapointment.

The one with Jim Gaffigan as Murray's "friend" is awesome.... he just starts asking them rapid fire questions about what kind of music they like and names off like 20 genres in 20 seconds... so good.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    found the clip: