Jai Alai

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Anybody ever peep live? Play It? Bet on it? Looks fun.

Comments

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    yes when i lived in miami, in hollywood beach there is an old jai alai place, it was near some thrifts i would always go to, i took a lot of pictures and enjoyed 50 cent beers and watching. fantastic for 45 minutes, depressing gambling vibe and cig smoke after that.
    that ball moves so fast it is scary. the players legs are always so bruised up.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I've always loved the gear: the shirts.
    My brother and I wore the hell out of some TracBalls when we were kids, half-jai alai (Miami Vice-R) and half-Tron. I've always wanted to see it, but never have made it to FLA (they still playing it there?) or TJ...my dad talks about betting on it in college in TJ.
    The shirts are good.

and:
    I love the exclusion of lefties and the Basque-ness.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Bathque-neth.

Fixed.

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    i was just in florida last week and peeped this with my grandfather. very entertaining and totally weird that there is a thread about this on here... if i lived down there i could see myself getting into a bit more. i made a few 2 dollar bets just trying to pick winners. i picked one right and it paid about 12 bucks. i came out six dollars ahead...woo-hooh!

some very entertaining characters and hecklers were in the house. I kept trying to imagine if the venue was full of fans. that would have made it a bit more entertaining instead of slightly depressing...

I get that from most gambling venues...even my beloved horse track can be a total downer lately...

"jai alai" is NYT crossword puzzle standard, too, it's a good word(s) to know.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Jai Alai has such an 80's coke vibe to it... degenerate gamblers, small time hustlers (or in the case of Whitey Bulger, a big time hustler) and such...

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    When i was a kid i thought Jai Alai was some futuristic Rollerball type shit.

Years later dudes talk about it like had a heyday, and will never comeback.

There was a place in Bridgeport Conn. that was around for a minute.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    at the spot in hwd fla. it was all brazilian guys mostly, lots of them got treated for pain at the clinic i worked at, their bodies were pretty worked from the jai alai balls hitting them so much around their abdomen and organs. nice bunch of dudes very country, very catholic, very green to life in south florida and its ills.
    the players all lived in apartments together and their pay was crap.
    the heckling was out of hand at this spot. they got ridiculed and hissed at by gambling addict spectators constantly.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    When i was a kid i thought Jai Alai was some futuristic Rollerball type shit.

Years later dudes talk about it like had a heyday, and will never comeback.

There was a place in Bridgeport Conn. that was around for a minute.

yeah, i used to go there as a kid. cool if you like to gamble, i guess

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Shit used to come on tv at like 4am back in the day on like channel 6357898776.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    4:34

DEAR LORD YOU BETTER BE WEARING A CUP, SON

• Options

Yeah I remember that, also remember the ads for Bridgeport in the Daily News. Jai Alai is one of the most corrupt sports there is, right up there with harness racing.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Yeah I remember that, also remember the ads for Bridgeport in the Daily News. Jai Alai is one of the most corrupt sports there is, right up there with harness racing.

Jai Alai results and whatnot took up an entire page in the Bridgeport Post back in the day. I still don't even understand how the game works, much less how you bet on it. But people were nuts for that shit.