Service Vs. Production SS Poll (Economy R)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
We keep hearing about the "Service Economy" that is causing the U.S. problems and how we need to produce more tangible goods.So my question is...How many of you have jobs in a "Service Industry"And how many of you have jobs that produce tangible goods that can be sold?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    We keep hearing about the "Service Economy" that is causing the U.S. problems and how we need to produce more tangible goods.

So my question is...

How many of you have jobs in a "Service Industry"

And how many of you have jobs that produce tangible goods that can be sold?

I work at a foundation that produces and broadcasts TV and radio programs, but we're non-profit, so we aren't really selling them per se. I would guess that still falls under production, though.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Service for me I guess?

I really don't see our country moving back to producing goods; especially low priced goods. I mean, it would be nice and all to have a electric car manufacturing industry here but even if we were to innovate on that or something similar, how long would it be until another country with less strict labor laws took it up and produced the good cheaper and more efficiently?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Service I suppose.... But people love getttin serviced by me, so I'll stay in businuse

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    We keep hearing about the "Service Economy" that is causing the U.S. problems and how we need to produce more tangible goods.

So my question is...

How many of you have jobs in a "Service Industry"

And how many of you have jobs that produce tangible goods that can be sold?

I produce valuable rare records from old junk people don't want.
    Put me down for service.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Talking about producing more goods is by politicians and talking heads that don't understand the economy. We have been a largely service economy since the 1970s when factories began moving overseas. That doesn't mean we don't still produce things but it is no longer the driving force in the economy. The wages are simply too high in many industries for them to be competitive in the world market.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Talking about producing more goods is by politicians and talking heads that don't understand the economy. We have been a largely service economy since the 1970s when factories began moving overseas. That doesn't mean we don't still produce things but it is no longer the driving force in the economy. The wages are simply too high in many industries for them to be competitive in the world market.

So I guess this means I should put you down as "Service"??

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I try to convince people that they should go see movies that I didn't make.

so, service.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    What's sales? I guess that's a service. All I'm producing is money in my pocket.

I guess I am helping the production market.

• I produce TV.

I guess I'm in production, because there is a tangible product once a week.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I produce TV.
    b, 21
    b, 21I guess I'm in production, because there is a tangible product once a week.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That's what I'm saying. You can totally tang TV.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Servicing beckys and producing babys!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I work in service, but I also do freelance production.

We are definitely moving back to a production based economy. That's the only way to get our shit straight. The only difference is that we'll be 'producing' energy, instead of tangible goods.