Newsy Neighbors - City Apt Noise Rules, Redux

2»

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    In the old buildings, the walls which are usually hand laid plaster over wood lathe, are better insulators than the floor, which is just wood. My advice is to go up with the wifey and meet with her, bring her a plant or something welcoming her to the building. Then find out what specifically is bugging her and try to find ways to address it. One thing she can do - and in fact boilerplate leases require - is to get some rugs. She may want to lose the shoes when she comes home at night and in the morning. Then just let her know that you will sometimes want to play your music loud, but that you won't do it between 10:00 p.m. and 10:00 a.m, - 12:00 and 12:00 on weekends. I mean, you're married now so its not like you are going to be listening to loud music at all hours. If so, your wifey is really understanding. Like you said, you are a reasonable guy, so I am sure you will come to a reasonable solution.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    Old girl came down last night to complain about the music.... only problem is, we weren't playing any music!

I think she might have... uh, issues.

uh oh. i had some friends a few years ago living in jackson heights with one of those. old man downstairs kept complaining to them and then to the landlord about how they would bang around and jump on the floor all hours. it got to the point where they would literally tiptoe in the kitchen to get a glass of water in the middle of the night. eventually the landlord agreed to go into his place replicating walking around upstairs while they listened. landlord realized the guy was crazy and ignored all further complaints from him.

• Old girl came down last night to complain about the music.... only problem is, we weren't playing any music!

I think she might have... uh, issues.

uh oh. i had some friends a few years ago living in jackson heights with one of those. old man downstairs kept complaining to them and then to the landlord about how they would bang around and jump on the floor all hours. it got to the point where they would literally tiptoe in the kitchen to get a glass of water in the middle of the night. eventually the landlord agreed to go into his place replicating walking around upstairs while they listened. landlord realized the guy was crazy and ignored all further complaints from him.

My wife had a neighbor who woke us up at three AM because the water was running. The dude below us worked the night shift and came home to take a shower, we didn't even hear it, but two floors up this guy is bothered by the noise. WTF? I told him if he ever work me up at 3 am again I would beat him with a hammer.