Lincoln Memorial Concert (who watched?)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Watching this off of Tivo right now. It's, um, interesting.

Comments

• its cool. a little super staged and sappy and super feel good, but thats to be expected. obamas speech wasnt all that, but im happy to see it all happen. plus they had rosario on stage!!!!!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm up to the Tom Hanks' narrated Lincoln bio part. This is a bit overbaked.

Marian Anderson to...Josh Groban? FAIL.

• yeah for real
    who the hell is johsh groban???
    NEXT!!!!

it was kind of wearing on me after a while that every single speaker and performer got paired up black/white. talk about canned racial harmony.

and garth brooks carried on waaay too long.

stevie and usher were good
    u2 was cool, esp when bono mentioned israel and palestine (thats about as edgy as this sapfest got)
    this land is your land was decent
    beyonce was cute and can sing

overall...yaaaawn. lets get on with fixing the country

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts
    I'm up to the Tom Hanks' narrated Lincoln bio part. This is a bit overbaked.

It bottoms out with Garth Brooks as Otis Day.

There's a lot of "bottoming out" moments.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    That's not entertainment I can believe in.

• The George W Bush concert was better.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I asked about ACISGC earlier. I didn't know that Bettye Levette was going to be there. And I would never have picked Jon Bon Jovi. I was driving listening on the radio when this came on. I cried.

So for me that was a win. Listening on the radio was likely a better experience than watching on tv.

The monologues ended up sounding like "When Abraham Lincoln stood on these very steps 100 years ago and said 'Ask not what you can do for your..."

When the introduced Pete Segger I wondered why not reunite the living participants of from the Poor People's March? Musically that would include, Dylan, Baez, Peter Paul and Mary, Mavis Staples. No longer with us is Pops Staples, Mahalia Jackson. I can't think of who living spoke that day. Stokley Carmichael? Julian Bond? Andrew Young?

Garth Brooks. Everyone does one song, and Brooks does 3? Poorly? I thought he retired.

One Love? What? They couldn't find a Jamaican?

• that was beautiful!!!
    that was the performance i missed yesterday

it had my mom in tears and she was professing her love for jon bon jovi and betty

definitely the highlight