Why were/are Arcades so Sleezy?

2»

Comments

• teddy bear arcade
    fun n games
    dream machine
    the ill one that was on washington downtown next to rainbow.

triple fat goose era.
    late 80s early 90s, it was gang infested. for those not from boston during those times....shit was no joke tons o guns. high school was nuts.
    castlegate, humboldt, academy, heath st, lenox ave, intervale, corbett st, franklin hill, x men,....etc
    then you had the asian gangs.

all rocking starter caps to identify who you were down with, and if you wernt down with at least somebody from one of em..F*ck your arcade quarters, run your whole shit. i saw one of the absolute worst stompings in my life in front of teddy bear...cats were like 30 deep, to the point where i could not watch.

remember when street fighter 1st dropped it didnt have buttons, it had big ass pads you punch.

rolling thunder
    spy hunter
    zaxxon
    tapper
    shinobi
    double dragon
    super sprint
    gauntlet
    commando
    karate champ
    arcades suck now.

• zaxxon was that crazy semi 3-d shit!!!! i used to love that

what was "tapper"??? is this high school chasing girls related?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

LOL I must have got kicked out of this arcade 20 times for swearing
    at the pinball games. It'd be like, "MOTHERFUCKER YOU CHEATED
    ME OUT THAT BALL!!" "Alright, kid - time to go, beat it" "BUT I STILL
    GOT 4 CREDITS IN THAT GAME, ASSHOLE!" ... as dude calls over the cop
    on-duty by the change counter. I remember my boy Brian slam-tilting
    Addams Family pinball and fully losing it, screaming at the game "YOU
    LIKE THAT, BITCH?! I'LL SLAM TILT YOUR CHEATING ASS ALL FUCKING DAY
    LONG YOU CUNT!!!!" ... I was in tears with laughter as they hauled him out
    of there.

Teddy Bear could be a very sketchy scene, no doubt. I stayed away from
    that big Street Fighter crowd, crazy gung ho activity going down.

My secret spot was the mini-arcade in the Copley Marriott hotel, 5th
    floor next to the pool. I played pinball in there for years, used to
    smoke mad weed in the little handicapped rest room next door, would
    drink 40 oz's in the sit-down Pole Position and Star Trek games, and
    probably picked up 10 different tourist girls from the hotel over the
    years. Ungoing wars with the hotel security guards only made it more fun ...
    I remember one guard chasing my friend all the way into Copley Place
    because of some shit my boy said to him just as the elevator doors
    closed. He came running up outside the Polo store and grabbed my boy's
    arm, all "WHAT'S UP NOW, KID?" and we laughed in his face, "dude, you're
    a hotel security guard and not even on your turf - SCREW." Good times.

• Man, I miss those days. The Endless Challenge was the local spot to be..and the spot my parents didn't want me hanging out at of course..because of the pot smoking out back,etc. Other spots I loved was the bowling alley, laundromats(we didn't have washer/dryers as a young'n..so I loved when it was laundry time), the local convenience stores that would only have 1 or 2 games, but you'd stay in that bitch all damn day..whether you had any quarters or just wanted to watch the other kids play. Good times.

I bought Donkey Kong for $50 about 2 years ago..still have it. As I mentioned on here after I got it, I know a warehouse here in town with about 40 or so different machines, jukeboxes, etc just collecting dust. All for sale for great prices..dude's just sitting on them. He was the 2nd biggest coin-op supplier in my area back in the day and then got into video poker after the kids games fizzled out. After video poker got banned around 2000 or so he started slanging cigs, blunts, rolling papers, dope baggies, scales, love roses, chore boys, and every other drug paraphernalia your local gas station needs. I worked there for about a year driving around delivering the upstate of SC w/ this stuff. If I had loot i'd buy all of those games and flip em.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Speaking of Tempest, who knew how to get the 40 free games? Mad days were wasted playing those 40 free games.

Cheats, Tricks and Bugs
    TRICK: On a level that is not a fully enclosed shape, you can often sit at one of the far ends, and when an approaching enemy is right next to you, hold down your fire button, and they will be destroyed.

TRICK: Get a score in the form of XXYYZZ, where XX > 16, 29 < YY < 60, and ZZ is a code. Some codes are:

* 01 - Test mode.
    * 06, 11, 12 - 40 free games.
    * 46 - Start at any level you like (up to level 81).

In the test mode, you can zero the high score table and examine the game parameters, but not modify them.

BUG: Scores beyond 999999 are not possible, as the score will roll-over to 000000.

link

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    teddy bear arcade
    fun n games
    dream machine

fun n games...

my mom had a friend who lived in framingham and we would always go out there... some of youngest clear memories are Fun N Games in like 81-82-83, when arcades were booming... seeing heshers go on serious ski-ball runs, saving up their winnings to get a boombox for 50,000 tickets... all that ridiculous shit they had there, like the dry ice and the spaceships on the ceiling... i just remember being terrified of all the teenagers and just awed by the sensory overload of the lights and sounds... i remember the first time i saw a kid stuff the balls into the 50 slot on ski-ball, tho i don't think that was at fun n games...

what was the name of the arcade by the Park Plaza hotel, it's that restuarant Magginao's now? i used to go there a bit in the early 90's and that place always skechted me out a bit... low lighting...

the one on Huntington Ave by northeastern always had the ill throwback games... Pacman Jr. and shit...

that one on washington was still there up until a couple years ago... that place was gully...

i always liked the quieter spots, like the arcade backroom at the bowling alley behind fenway park... quick smoke in the fens (maybe with a new purchase from buried treasures) and then candlepin bowling, air hockey, and pinball...