Time Warner Cable Viacom - wtf?!

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I don't watch much TV, but this is some bullshit. My kids are in here like "they're taking Nickelodeon away?" lol, but really though, 18 channels?
Viacom threatens to yank programming off Time Warner Cable systems02:29 PM PT, Dec 30 2008"Spongebob Squarepants," "Dora the Explorer" and Jon Stewart soon might be pulled off Time Warner Cable systems in Los Angeles and around the country if the cable operator and Viacom Inc. cannot reach a new contract before midnight tomorrow. The move could knock Viacom's cable channels, which include Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1 and Comedy Central off nearly 2 million households in Los Angeles.Dauman"We've been attempting to negotiate in good faith but they seem to taken it to the brink. Unfortunately, we are now at an impasse," said Philippe Dauman, chief executive of Viacom Inc. "It's unfortunate for all of our viewers should they lose the ability to watch our programming."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2008/12/viacom-threaten.html The channels that would be affected are: Comedy Central, CMT: Pure Country, Logo, Palladia, MTV, MTV 2, MTV Hits, MTV Jams, MTV Tr3s, Nickelodeon, Noggin, Nick 2, Nicktoons, Spike, The N, TV Land, VH1, VH1 Classic, and VH1 Soul.Happy New Year!

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I've been meaning to ask why you have pics of a**rey in your avatar....

and who is that other dude? is that marco?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    It was from one of those ghost bump threads. It's A**rey and M*rco arranged inna Christmas style and fashion.

But back on this for a min. - we already pay A GRIP as it is, now they want to threaten to take off MTV, Comedy Central, Spike, Nickelodeon, Noggin, etc etc if we don't pay more? It's some bullshit.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Why have cable without these channels. Although I'm relived 3am this black bar kept flashing on my screen. Thought it might of had something to do with me stealing cable, really dodged a bullet on that one.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I need coffee. This thread is kind of lame, but wake up to your kids asking why Spongebob is going bye bye and then come see me!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    thats when you punch that kid in the balls and say "be a man, thats why."

I do it to my kid every day and he's only 6 months old!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I feel like I've seen this before, a couple years back. Sounds like they're just using the press for some bargaining leverage, get some angry parents (and daily show fans) calling in and ramping up the pressure.

Both these companies make way too much off this stuff to actually do anything so drastic, this is just the public face of a bunch of rich dudes arguing over percentages....

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    DirecTV son!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    So many people are leaving TWC for AT&T U-Verse here in Austin that there is now a 1 month wait for installation. And that was before all of this shit went down. I'd guess it'll be even longer now.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I need coffee. This thread is kind of lame, but wake up to your kids asking why Spongebob is going bye bye and then come see me!

so true. my little girl needs her daily spongebob, like dad needs his fine columbian coffee in the morning. Taking spongebob off is not cool.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Because of your avatar, Mr. Bradley, you win at the internets today.

• Because of your avatar, Mr. Bradley, you win at the internets today.

Bradley brings avatar fire.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    neither can live without the other, if the channels do get pulled, I can't see that it would last that long..

who has more money?