Woody Allen Essentials

2»

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Thanks.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Wow -- thanks, Luck!

Definitely going into the "Favorite Forum" folder for further review.

I have seen very few Bergman films, and can't even step toward a discussion of his canon.

As far as Allen, seeing a few of his films in college but only his most recent dreck in the theater, such as the aforementioned Hollywood Ending (at the Kerasotes Showplace on Western Avenue), gave me an extremely skewed viewpoint of the man's career. I knew Woody went deep -- Marshall McLuhan's cameo in Annie Hall, for instance -- but I didn't know he went that deep.

Thanks again!

• I have seen very few Bergman films, and can't even step toward a discussion of his canon.

My personal fave is "The Virgin Spring."

• Options
    It just so happens that I caught a few later Allen films that I had never seen
    before on cable in the past few weeks. Celebrity, September and Alice.

All of them were decent, Celebrity is alot of fun and better than I expected - Kenneth
    Branagh doing a straight Allen impression is actually quite enjoyable and easier to watch
    than Woody himself. Alice was also a ton of fun, although it was on very late at night
    and I missed the last 3rd of it, I need to see it again so I can see the end, and September,
    while rather morose and ultra-serious, had some fine performances and was certainly watchable.

I was in Celebrity! I played a skinhead.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I have seen very few Bergman films, and can't even step toward a discussion of his canon.

My personal fave is "The Virgin Spring."

Mine is "Winter Light." It's the most personal film I've ever watched, and I've later read that it was Bergman's choice as well.

I was reminded of this thread when I saw this interesting interview:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    can i drop a quick vote for "Pay it Again, Sam" if no one mentioned it... a very mix of great wacky slapstick and a preview of his later (more) serious relationship movie vibe...