online UNIVERSITIES

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
are these things legit? stein. . .

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Some are. A lot of them are run by real Universities, like the University of Phoenix for instance. You kinda get nailed though because the out of state fee things still apply.

There are so many places that do this now, some of the more progressive universities (cough not mine) have full programs offered on the regular. Ohio University is one that has tons and tons of online classes offered, although I'm not sure if you can do a whole degree that way.

Even if you can't get a whole degree online, you can knock off a year or two solely behind a computer. For instance, many community colleges offer a lot of classes that way now. I took Accounting and Marketing that way, all I had to do was go to the camps 3 times to take the tests, that's it. Some you don't even have to do that.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    is that like 'distant education programmes' ?

if they're proper distant ed. programmes from known universities i guess yea they're legit.

but if its an online website offering online programmes you might want to look into whether thats gonna give you a proper recognition when you're finished with the course, their certificate might not mean shit and you don't want that to happen.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    word. my stepbrother is doing the university of phoenix joint. just wondering. stein. . .

• word. my stepbrother is doing the university of phoenix joint. just wondering. stein. . .

Most are definitely legit. The problem is that they have little credibility when it comes to using your degree to get a job or further your education at a "regular" university. No matter how rigorous the curriculum may be, for the most part, they are viewed as sub-standard compared to the classroom experience of a regular university. That may change one day. I believe I read that Harvard is considering an online MBA or something like that, which would make some change to the perception of online programs.

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    word. my stepbrother is doing the university of phoenix joint. just wondering. stein. . .

Most are definitely legit. The problem is that they have little credibility when it comes to using your degree to get a job or further your education at a "regular" university. No matter how rigorous the curriculum may be, for the most part, they are viewed as sub-standard compared to the classroom experience of a regular university. That may change one day. I believe I read that Harvard is considering an online MBA or something like that, which would make some change to the perception of online programs.

cosign.

i work with a woman who is getting her MBA through the Commonweath of Virginia program rather than the UVa Darden Business School program, big difference.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    More and more traditional colleges are moving towards online courses and degree programs. It's quite profitable, since you increase your enrollment without having to build new classrooms, dorms, etc.

I've reluctantly taken a few online courses while going for my MIS degree (while I live about a mile from campus, I had no choice, some of the classes were only offered online when I needed to take them). There's some definite pros and cons: it's nice not having to drive to campus on a cold winter day, but trying to have a class discussion in a chatroom was like pulling teeth.