Aapl - when to buy, how to buy?

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Hey yall, I don't really fusk with the Sticks but methinks it would be a good time to get ready to pick up some apple stock.b, 21b, 21Any recommendations on good times to buy and hwo to do so... I am a complete stock market new money newbie. I will also be one of the first in my family to own stock! HELLS YES AMERICA.b, 21b, 21Help a fob out.

Comments

• if you are long term, then go for it. if not, don't. i bought a bunch of stocks last month trying to time the market....in almost every case, they are all trading lower today.b, 21b, 21its hard not to look at the dow at 8,000 and be like - this can't get any lower, but its not looking good short term...

• I plan on holding..b, 21b, 21How did you actually purchase, online?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I plan on holding..b, 21b, 21How did you actually purchase, online? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21yea, i trade through charles schwab, but there are a ton of online companies and its relatively easy/fast to get started.b, 21b, 21without sounding like i know enough to give investment advice, u might want to look at some stocks that aren't trading at $90 a share so you can accumulate more shares with less money.

• I used Etrade and it was pretty easy. Keep in mind that if you transfer money online it will take up to 4 business days before funds are available to invest. You can wire transfer funds from your bank and they should be available for investing within an hour or two. I keep $2500 in an Etrade savings account. Earn interest and it's there for investing if an opportunity arises.b, 21b, 21That being said I would be wary of investing in Apple right now. It would take just one under performing quarter to sink the stock and I wouldn't be surprised if their 4th quarter is disappointing. People just don't have the money to buy $300 iPhones and $2000 iMacs. They're a luxury brand and there's many cheaper alternatives out there.b, 21b, 21I pulled out of the market and put some savings in a Wamu 3.75% savings account. Citibank has some 4% CD's right now. I'd take guaranteed returns like that over the volatile stock market we have now.b, 21b, 21I would buy Apple if it hits $60, maybe $55. Look at McDonalds and Walmart instead. Brands that excel during a bad economy.

• I should add that Aapl may still be a good investment in the long run but wait and see. I'm hesitant to invest because my company isn't doing so well. I may need the money if I lose my job.

• Well, I have money at 4% in 12 month ING cds... probabyl one of the better products available.b, 21b, 21The problem is that inflation is outpacing the interest rate so saving money like this seems stupid.b, 21b, 21I think apple will rebound huge in the looooong run. Innovation/minds/creativity shit.b, 21b, 21I am also looking at forieng currency cd's - the rand can get you 9% rat now...The ruppee cd's are at 5% and Brazil is pretty good too.

• with the recent explosion of iPhone-derivative smart phones by different manufacturers, it seems like the next year will be a bad one for Apple. the iPhone seems to be their biggest item and Apple is poised to lose massive market share in this space over the next 12 months.b, 21b, 21but long-term they will think of something else I'm sure.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21The problem is that inflation is outpacing the interest rate so saving money like this seems stupid.b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21if anything, there is deflation, so i don't agree with this. it sucks putting money into 4% cds because, in most circumstances, you pay a penalty if you withdraw early and 4% is not much higher than a decent checking/savings account, so what are you really gaining? something could come up where you might want/need the money.b, 21b, 21i'd rather get 1-2% less and have it liquid.

• Invest in gold.

• Philip Morris. Its yield is fusking 7.9%.

• since nov 5th, all the stocks i bought in the second half of october, when i thought the market had bottomed, are collectively down 30%b, 21b, 21hope this rebounds before my wife starts getting curious about our online brokerage account...

• what about those other online accounts of yours; you don't think she'll be curious about those?

• Options
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Philip Morris. Its yield is fusking 7.9%. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yes!! Pfizer as well. If you see a company with a high dividend yield like that and a huge amount of cash on their balance sheet it's worth looking at.

• CHEAP SHIT RETAILERS AND DEPRESSION MED MANUFACTURERS = RECESSION PROOF.

• b, 21b, 21you can't look at a few days. the market lost $3 trillion in the week prior. its rebounding a bit over the past few days. most stocks are seeing a good jump. my portfolio went up 10% on friday, and is doing close to that today. everything is relative.b, 21b, 21walmart is a safe stock. but if u want to make short money there are so many low dollar stocks that have been beat to sh*t the past couple of weeks. take a risk, scoop up a couple of those, and if the market has a good week you could easily double your money. or lose a lot if it keeps tanking.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    b, 21b, 21you can't look at a few days. the market lost $3 trillion in the week prior. its rebounding a bit over the past few days. most stocks are seeing a good jump. my portfolio went up 10% on friday, and is doing close to that today. everything is relative.b, 21b, 21walmart is a safe stock. but if u want to make short money there are so many low dollar stocks that have been beat to sh*t the past couple of weeks. take a risk, scoop up a couple of those, and if the market has a good week you could easily double your money. or lose a lot if it keeps tanking. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I was this close to buying Citibank but I lost some money on Wamu which went belly up. C was +$6 just a few minutes ago. As I type it's more like +$2. Could have made some easy cash except it would take some balls to put in enough cash in such a risky company.b, 21b, 21I'm interested more in the long term this time around but want solid companies. I'm looking into (a.k.a asking Dad) about Pfizer.

• i hate to give investment advice cause my track record is not good, but imho, drug companies are a bad look right now. stocks typically reflect the future and pfizer doesn't have much in the pipeline. when i was looking at drug companies, analysts were mostly pitching Johnson & Johnson, since in addition to drugs, they also make $ in other areas, like consumer staples.b, 21b, 21pfizer and merk have great dividends though. if we hit the bottom, its at least better than a cd.

• my boy works at Citi and said it was a bloodbath on Thursday last week. about 50 people were let go before lunch; poor muthas had no idea what awaited them walking in that morning; cleared out their desks and left on the spot with boxes; people crying, etc. shit sounded awful.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21my boy works at Citi and said it was a bloodbath on Thursday last week. about 50 people were let go before lunch; poor muthas had no idea what awaited them walking in that morning; cleared out their desks and left on the spot with boxes; people crying, etc. shit sounded awful. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Sounds like my first layoff. I hope they did what I did: Stole a bunch of shit from the office on the way out. It's how I got my Dreamcast back when that was the hot video-game system.

• Look, and I'm saying this for myself as well...b, 21b, 21Right now, although some things are cheap, be VERY careful about how you invest, and that goes f*cking TRIPLETIME for an admitted novice. There will be some people, and there already are some, who will make a lot of money off the stock market's crash. b, 21b, 21But, if you don't know what you are doing, and you wade in a with a fist full of hundos, a lust for iPods and their maker, and start buying... you could get slaughtered.b, 21b, 21Do some research. Know your risks and what you are willing to lose. And, good luck.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21Look, and I'm saying this for myself as well...b, 21b, 21Right now, although some things are cheap, be VERY careful about how you invest, and that goes f*cking TRIPLETIME for an admitted novice. There will be some people, and there already are some, who will make a lot of money off the stock market's crash. b, 21b, 21But, if you don't know what you are doing, and you wade in a with a fist full of hundos, a lust for iPods and their maker, and start buying... you could get slaughtered.b, 21b, 21Do some research. Know your risks and what you are willing to lose. And, good luck. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Very true and I'm speaking as a novice. Fortunately my father used to be an investment banker and has some $400K plus in the market right now so he's my go to guy for advice. His advice is simple. Invest in solid companies that pay dividends. If their stocks dip don't pull out, buy more and reduce your average purchase cost. Solid companies have depressed stock prices as part of the overall market decline. They'll continue to pay dividends so regardless of their current stock price you'll have SOME money coming back to you. Not much but some. After a year or two this will pass and their prices will climb back to normal.

• I'll retract my previous statement. I bought some AAPL today. I'm already up! I'm doing great right now. I may sell before Christmas depending where they're at. I think Aapl is good for at least $105. I'll set a stop limit for that price.b, 21b, 21October Costco sales are 2% higher compared to a year ago. Great news! With Thanksgiving, Christmas and the poor economy it may be a banner year for them.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I'll retract my previous statement. I bought some AAPL today. I'm already up! I'm doing great right now. I may sell before Christmas depending where they're at. I think Aapl is good for at least $105. I'll set a stop limit for that price.
    b, 21
    b, 21October Costco sales are 2% higher compared to a year ago. Great news! With Thanksgiving, Christmas and the poor economy it may be a banner year for them.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21how many shares are you buying that it would make sense for you to sell at 105? take a little bit of risk.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    A better flip would have been GS in the 50s, on myb, 21b, 21up another 7% today

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I'll retract my previous statement. I bought some AAPL today. I'm already up! I'm doing great right now. I may sell before Christmas depending where they're at. I think Aapl is good for at least $105. I'll set a stop limit for that price.
    b, 21
    b, 21October Costco sales are 2% higher compared to a year ago. Great news! With Thanksgiving, Christmas and the poor economy it may be a banner year for them.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21how many shares are you buying that it would make sense for you to sell at 105? take a little bit of risk.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I don't have complete faith in AAPL but I still think it will hit at least $105. I don't think a tech company is a good investment in this economy.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21A better flip would have been GS in the 50s, on my
    b, 21
    b, 21up another 7% today
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I only have so much money.

• AAPL rally today on good news of Walmart carrying the iPhone before the end of the month. Will break 100 and there's an expected surge after it hits that magic number. Will hit 110 easily within the next few weeks.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21AAPL rally today on good news of Walmart carrying the iPhone before the end of the month. Will break 100 and there's an expected surge after it hits that magic number. Will hit 110 easily within the next few weeks.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 2184

• I dropped mine at 100.6. I'm not greedy. from 89, that's better than a savings account.