Man On Wire

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
pretty cool documentary i saw this weekendb, 21b, 21just thought i would shareb, 21b, 21a href="" target="_blank"1

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Saw it previewed back in August. Great movie. Big screen deal for sure.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    liked it a lot. the archival footage far outshined the reenactments IMO, but overall very interesting and entertaining.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121liked it a lot. the archival footage far outshined the reenactments IMO, but overall very interesting and entertaining. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121i think the re-enactments were meant to be a joke fitting in with dudes over the top personality!b,121b,121i thought the flick was great

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121liked it a lot. the archival footage far outshined the reenactments IMO, but overall very interesting and entertaining. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121i think the re-enactments were meant to be a joke fitting in with dudes over the top personality!b,121b,121i thought the flick was great b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121yeah, I think they were meant to have a light touch. I just thought the aesthetic clash between old 16mm footage early 70s footage and Errol Morris-y contemporary reenactment footage didn't work too well. But like I said, strong film overall.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121liked it a lot. the archival footage far outshined the reenactments IMO, but overall very interesting and entertaining. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121i think the re-enactments were meant to be a joke fitting in with dudes over the top personality!b,121b,121i thought the flick was great b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121yeah, I think they were meant to have a light touch. I just thought the aesthetic clash between old 16mm footage early 70s footage and Errol Morris-y contemporary reenactment footage didn't work too well. But like I said, strong film overall. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I dislike reenactments in documentaries as a rule. But I sure liked this picture. What a great story.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    After the King of Kong thread, i had to search for this one...

This absolutely blew my mind. There are few other things as badass as this. Mt. Everest seems soft in comparison.
    If you haven't seen it, you really should.

(good documentary>>>good movie)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    After the King of Kong thread, i had to search for this one...

This absolutely blew my mind. There are few other things as badass as this. Mt. Everest seems soft in comparison.
    If you haven't seen it, you really should.

(good documentary>>>good movie)

It really taxes the imagination that something like this actually happened. Absolutely essential viewing, IMO. It's like a real life heist movie, that would have most movie producers scoffing in disbelief at the premise! The guy really did it because it was there, and he couldn't rest until he did it or died trying. Inspiring and fun movie.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Just watched this over the weekend:
    I cried.

"Oh no way"s and queit handfanning turned to pure fist-in-the-air tears.

I'm a grown ass man over here.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    it was amazing and no i didnt shed one single tear.
    I NEVER cry, because it shows weakness.

best flick i've seen in a while

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I'm not great when it comes to heights, so some shots had me actually getting up from my seat with disbelief, clutching my head. Grown!

• Easily one of my favorites from last year.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    As undoubtfuly awe inspiring as the act itself, the film in its entirety was boring and and at times annoying with all this pseudo-philosophical nonsense. Would have made a killer 20 minute piece.

But that's just my personal opinion, I'm glad you all enjoyed it as it was.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    ha! Hater!

Naw - I do think it ran longer than it needed to. And the re-enactments were "meh." But overall, I much enjoyed this.

As undoubtfuly awe inspiring as the act itself, the film in its entirety was boring and and at times annoying with all this pseudo-philosophical nonsense. Would have made a killer 20 minute piece.

Did you see it on the big or little screen.

I saw it in theater and did not think it was too long.
    I can't imagine it translate well to a tv set.
    I don't remember pseudo-philosophical nonsense.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Did you see it on the big or little screen.

I saw it in theater and did not think it was too long.
    I can't imagine it translate well to a tv set.
    I don't remember pseudo-philosophical nonsense.

I never go to movie theater, don't like bad company, hate the stink of popcorn and prefer being able to hit to get a fresh beer. Perfectly happy with our 42" but might go back to a video projector and pull-down screen soon.

I don't really believe this would have gained much in a theater, to the oposite, the re-enactment and other "filling material" probably would have annoyed me even more.

I've actually seen it with my wife and two friends and we all thought it had been way too long, too much blah. I think the other opinions were even more negative than mine.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    comeon big Frank you don't have to make up an entire mean squad that hated it even more than you...just admit you cried too!
    it's a great weight off your shoulders to just admit it.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    comeon big Frank you don't have to make up an entire mean squad that hated it even more than you...just admit you cried too!

Sorry... just didn't work for me. I love movie documentaries but about 90% of the stuff I see doesn't grab me. I can only remember really getting emotional while watching two documentaries: Dark Days and Darwin's Nightmare.

From all recently viewed documentaries, Manda Balla was also a deeply interesting, enjoyable and beautifully shot film.

I was actually looking very forward to Man On Wire but it was just lame in my eyes. There was close to no film footage of the actual event which I totally don't understand with all the time, thought, energy and money invested in this venture. I was also nauseated by all that pantomime, the unicycle riding, the magic tricks, the juggling and the poetic shit-talking... hahaha... I'm sorry but I just can't stand mimes, clowns, jugglers or people with funny hats.

And I'm even going to go further: I think the self-serving way how he bragged about sneaking away with a random groupie and humping her in some hotel room while his companions and longtime girlfriend worried he might be somewhere in prison (perhaps at the recieving end of what he was actually doing) makes this guy a real asshole. I also don't really believe his story of crawling around the ledge of the building naked to retrieve the lost wire.

Sorry... just didn't work for me. I love movie documentaries but about 90% of the stuff I see doesn't grab me. I can only remember really getting emotional while watching two documentaries: Dark Days and Darwin's Nightmare.

From all recently viewed documentaries, Manda Balla was also a deeply interesting, enjoyable and beautifully shot film.

I was actually looking very forward to Man On Wire but it was just lame in my eyes. There was close to no film footage of the actual event which I totally don't understand with all the time, thought, energy and money invested in this venture. I was also nauseated by all that pantomime, the unicycle riding, the magic tricks, the juggling and the poetic shit-talking... hahaha... I'm sorry but I just can't stand mimes, clowns, jugglers or people with funny hats.

And I'm even going to go further: I think the self-serving way how he bragged about sneaking away with a random groupie and humping her in some hotel room while his companions and longtime girlfriend worried he might be somewhere in prison (perhaps at the recieving end of what he was actually doing) makes this guy a real asshole. I also don't really believe his story of crawling around the ledge of the building naked to retrieve the lost wire.

Synopsis: Guy was just a street mime with a big ego.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Synopsis: Guy was just a street mime with a big ego.

Well, let's put it this way, if he had fell off and died, that's probably exactly what people would have said about him.

And the fact that he snuck off for some mid-caper nookie may make him an asshole to some, but that just makes him French to me.