Natural Four 'I Thought You Were mine'

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
I'm thinking about saving my c-notes for this one. I know its pressed on two different labels but is it the same take just repressed or an entirely different recording?

Comments

• Entirely different. The Boola Boola is noticeably slower than the ABC one. You can probably find soundclips on soul source. Both expensive though.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    The Oola Boola version is one of the most over-rated northern/modern crossover sounds out there IMHO.b,121The harmonies just don't work and there's a jarring chord change that is truly cringe-worthy.b,121Avoid.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Ah. These are both on YouTube. The slow one skel hates is the one I knew. The ABC one is ok, a way more obvious dancer if you're a regular DJ. I think the Boola version is a far superior soul tune though. Uplifting and sublime. b,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121The Oola Boola version is one of the most over-rated northern/modern crossover sounds out there IMHO.
    b,121The harmonies just don't work and there's a jarring chord change that is truly cringe-worthy.
    b,121Avoid.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Seriously? You think this is a modern soul sound? It's from 1969. No idea what you're on about, as they say in the UK.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The Boola Boola is definitely getting close to a crossover sound to my ears. I have no problem with the harmonies & chord changes though. Nice track. I like both versions, no favoritism at all.

• What would it be crossing over to? I like the song but to me it sounds unmistakably like late 60's soul. When I hear the term crossover soul I think of the early 70s records that bridged to a slicker sound with a discernibly different attitude and production style.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I am hearing the early inklings of what you are describing as crossover.1 As I said, it's getting close, definitely not total crossover but I can see how it could just fit into the earliest edge of that huge grey area of a "style".1 Kind of crossing over into crossover if you will.1 Fusk now I'm confused....

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I hear it as a crossover sound, albeit one that leans more heavily to the classic 60s Northern sound. But modern soul djs in the UK were playing this BITD definitely.b,121I bought it quite cheaply on hearing it in a shop, where it sounded excellent - then after playing at home found it grating more with each listen. Then I flogged it for cheap too. A WMIC memory for sure.b,121b,121There's a whole slew of sounds that were recorded in the early/mid 70s that fit well on the Northern scene, and late 60s sounds that work as Modern Soul.b,121b,121The space is not defined, and nor should it be IMHO.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121The ABC one is ok, a way more obvious dancer if you're a regular DJ. I think the Boola version is a far superior soul tune though. Uplifting and sublime.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I'm with you on that.1The ABC one does nothing for me, but the Boola version is amazing.