Cooking Shows

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Damn this shit is like reality TV, there's a new one springing up every three seconds with a different demographic in mind.Wifey stays watching this shit, and I'm not even mad because she picks up a lot of game from them. I even made a killer fritata off whatever was just on this morning.What are your favorites?I fuck with Jamie Oliver and the Neelys. lol

Comments

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    My girl watched Simply Italian. And I get some good shit because of it. With Giada DeLorentes or whatever her name is.

I like to watch No Reservations with Anthony Bourdaine too. Not so much a cooking show tho.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    my choices are limited because no cable at my house, but I love America's Test Kitchen.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    U have woke the Monster!!!!!!!

Bobby Flay's Boy Meets Grill is my shit.

Rick Bayless used to have a show Create TV Network...Mexican steez

BarbeQue University is one my favs.

New Scandanavian Cooking w/ Tina Nordstrom

I find alot of my favs arent on the Food Network...

Cooking Shows are the Musak of my Apt. Ur I can plut the shit on mute and still check the technique.

I heard the Nellys was kinda suspect. My ladyfriend said they made Pork Chop Soup.....

I love America's Test Kitchen.

Hands down the most informative show in the game. I own 5 of the Books.

But w/ Zero sex appeal.

Upon finishing her tour of duty with the Air Force, Sunny kept on her broadcast career playing radio host at stations in New Orleans, Montgomery, Detroit, and finally, in New York at hip hop radio powerhouse, HOT 97. Within a year, Vibe Magazine rated her show as one of the top 9 to listen to nationwide and crowned her, "Ruler of the Airwaves." Her radio success landed her guest hosting duties on MTV2, and voice over gigs on television and radio ads for Destiny's Child, LL Cool J, and John Legend.

Sunny also served as Food & Lifestyle editor at Hip Hop Weekly Magazine where she reported on everything celebrity living with her column, "Belly of the Beats," where she interviewed hip hop stars about food, cooking and restaurants they love.

Anybody seen her show yet?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Rachel Ray all day, I cooks it up, 30 minute way
    in the kitchen, in the hood, make some food, tastes so good
    saggy boobies, strange belly, digest food, doo doo smelly,
    learn to cook from the telly, no more pizza orders on my celly
    cook fast, 30 minutes, wilt down pot of spinach,
    hand gestures prove the point, rachel ray, that's my joint
    make a burger, make a salad, she da bast like dj kahled,
    bleu cheese, more please, smash hard, paninis,
    less fat, no grease, mushrooms be that cremini,
    melt it down, toss it up, sake-tini in my cup,
    e, v, o, o, that's the way that rachel rolls
    chop chop, knife knife, I need her in my life life
    good food, 30 minutes, just started, now I'm finished.

I actually like America's Test Kitchen. Straight nerd style.
    kala

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The Neelys is totally suspect - that's kind of why I watch it. "Down home" cooking + very little regard for health. But the two of them are sweet. They cook together and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy. When wifey and I try cooking together we end up chasing each other around the apartment with butcher knives. lol.

Flay's show is great.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    My lady likes that Ace of Cakes show. Pretty entertaining, in my opinion.

Rachel Ray all day, I cooks it up, 30 minute way
    in the kitchen, in the hood, make some food, tastes so good
    saggy boobies, strange belly, digest food, doo doo smelly,
    learn to cook from the telly, no more pizza orders on my celly
    cook fast, 30 minutes, wilt down pot of spinach,
    hand gestures prove the point, rachel ray, that's my joint
    make a burger, make a salad, she da bast like dj kahled,
    bleu cheese, more please, smash hard, paninis,
    less fat, no grease, mushrooms be that cremini,
    melt it down, toss it up, sake-tini in my cup,
    e, v, o, o, that's the way that rachel rolls
    chop chop, knife knife, I need her in my life life
    good food, 30 minutes, just started, now I'm finished.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

But w/ Zero sex appeal.

lmho - yes. I guess Nigella changed the game that way?

which reminds me...Lidia's Family Table is a good one for a fast and simple Italian cooking...and unless school marm/jail warden is what you're into, the sex appeal on this show is zero, too.

Just FYI I am not talking about cooking related game shows like Top Chef. Although I get down with that too.

Cooking Instructional. Holler at that shit dog.

My lady likes that Ace of Cakes show. Pretty entertaining, in my opinion.

But w/ Zero sex appeal.

lmho - yes. I guess Nigella changed the game that way?

which reminds me...Lidia's Family Table is a good one for a fast and simple Italian cooking...and unless school marm/jail warden is what you're into, the sex appeal on this show is zero, too.

Lydia is sexy to me in a real way. Her style, the food, the italian accent.

Nigella is forced sexy...IMO.

I am not talking about cooking related game shows like Top Chef.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Ace Of Cakes bonus...

They had a Wire episode. They made a row house cake for some sort of Wire public appearance/fundraiser.

The secretary lady is a huge wire fan and she did a semi-tour of Baltimore and rolled up on them shooting some new scenes. I saw the episode again recently and it actually looked like they were shooting under a bridge, kind of like the scenes from the last season with the reporter interviewing homeless people in the encampment.

None of the ace of cakes cakes look edible. Some look cool, but most of them look gross, especially considering all the hands that were on them.

Diners, Drive ins, and Dives has some tasty looking food on it, but Guy is Frickin' gross.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Man, I was about to do an unap'ecation posts on this fuck

I've seen the show a few times and basically, what, he drives around to "greasy spoons" and stuffs his fat jowel ridden face with food? I'd rather watch y'all dudes' girl Rachel Ray over this bloated bro-seph.

Oh and Marc Summers= O.G. IN THIS GAME

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    as much as i love food, i dont really watch any cooking shows. sometimes i watch dotch! on the international channel. but thats it. oh, did i mention i dont have cable?

my favorite bitd was "great chefs...". it came on pbs.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I use to watch Yan Can Cook all the time on the local PBS station. I've also caught the Italian woman's show on PBS as well. I really like her recipies.

Other than that, most of my cooking shows come off the Food Network. I like all of Bobby Flay's shows. I also like that guy Tyler's show. He now does Tyler's Ultimate, but he also did a show called Food 911 which I don't think runs anymore where he helped out people who couldn't cook. I thought that show came with a lot of cooking tips. I can't stand Rachey Ray. Almost forgot, Batali also has a daytime Italian cooking show that I really like, but I only get to watch that when I'm on vacation.

If you include the cooking competition, etc. shows. I've been down with Iron Chef since it came on the local Asian station years ago in Japanese. The first couple seasons they had English subtitles, but then for the last two years of its run there weren't any and I still watched that shit. Like the American version as well. No Reservations on the Travel Channel is a must. Also Flay's Throwdown, Dinner Impossible, and those specials when they go to cooking competitions in different cities.

I've seen the show a few times and basically, what, he drives around to "greasy spoons" and stuffs his fat jowel ridden face with food?

I dont understand this cat. Who greenlighted this dude to be on TV.
    His whole personal style is str8 90's style Rock doofus. Who did they think is gonna ride for this cat?
    The idea of going to diners is actually a very good idea but the host is unbearable.

Cooking w/ Ming is a fav of mine too. Dude is str8 Boston fratboy.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

I've seen the show a few times and basically, what, he drives around to "greasy spoons" and stuffs his fat jowel ridden face with food?

His whole personal style is str8 90's style Rock doofus. Who did they think is gonna ride for this cat?
    The idea of going to diners is actually a very good idea but the host is unbearable.

So he likes Swingers, so what?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I like "Diners, Drive-In's & Dives", hosted by Guy Fieri on the Food Network. I've always been into diner food and the different regional flavors, so that one is "must-see" for me.

I did like Alton Brown's recent "Feasting On Asphalt" ( ) series, the second one is done and I'm hoping he goes for a third. The second one had him going up the Mississippi from South to North and if anyone likes Brown's humor from "Good Eats", this show is great as well.

I don't think it airs here, but there's an Australian show called "Food Safari" where the host gets into the various cuisines that can be found throughout Australia, and does it from their perspective:
    http://www.sbs.com.au/foodsafari

I *think* it airs on the Food Network in Canada, but not in the U.S. Do a rapidshare search.

The Jamaican edition of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" was great, especially the "these 45's sold crap, let's recycle them and make some Mr. Vegas 45's" scene. The Indonesian one is great too, and I have to watch the Pacific Northwest one in full.

Has anyone seen "Street Eats", from Canada?
    http://www.streeteatstv.com/

I also like "At Home With The Neely's" and "Cooking For Real", hosted by Sunny Anderson:

and anything with Nigella Lawson

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I was just thinking the same thing as i just saw is annoying ass on a TGI Fridays commercial!!!?!?!? why in the fuck would ANYONE want to hear the opinion of a dude who advertises shit like TGI Fridays...seriously, why would the food network want someone on one of their shows that pushes bullshit like that?

another dude who annoys me is the host of "bizarre foods"...Andrew Zimmerman, dude is offensive and rude beyond words, telling folks their native cuisine is "weird" and making faces likes a 5 year old being forced to finish their lima beans when he eats the stuff.

both premises of the shows is great, but they need new hosts pronto...

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, I love some Ina. I find her to be sexy and i know that's a little weird because she's like 65 and obese but she's mad cool and I love how she gets down with her garden outside and spoils her husband.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Rachael Ray Frickin' sucks... c'mon. I wouldn't eat anything she cooks... throwing hot dogs on top of a salad and shit..

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Rachael Ray Frickin' sucks... c'mon. I wouldn't eat anything she cooks... throwing hot dogs on top of a salad and shit..

So true. She can't cook a damn thing and she is annoying as f*ck to listen to, calling everything by cutesie nicknames like E.V.O.O.=extra virgin olive oil, yuck.

Some of Racheals stuff is nice and practicle but damn does she have to be on like 10 times a day.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

I was just thinking the same thing as i just saw is annoying ass on a TGI Fridays commercial!!!?!?!? why in the fuck would ANYONE want to hear the opinion of a dude who advertises shit like TGI Fridays...seriously, why would the food network want someone on one of their shows that pushes bullshit like that?

another dude who annoys me is the host of "bizarre foods"...Andrew Zimmerman, dude is offensive and rude beyond words, telling folks their native cuisine is "weird" and making faces likes a 5 year old being forced to finish their lima beans when he eats the stuff.

both premises of the shows is great, but they need new hosts pronto...

Yes and yes.
    Neely's need to get a room.
    Alton Brown's road thing was great.
    Nigella is softcore pron for fat guys, she is ridiculous.
    Rachael Ray made fishstick parmigiana once, so yeah, she can't cook.
    Iron Chef is unbearable.
    Giada is ok.
    Alton's regular show is unbearable.
    Most chef TV personalities are unbearable to me come to think of it.

How could you be mad at some married grown folks feeding strawberries to each other

I ride

How could you be mad at some married grown folks feeding strawberries to each other

I ride

"give me some sugar"

"He so gooood w/ his hands!"