Your favourite Mainstream album ?

2»

Comments

• rookrook 357 Posts
    i like the near east oud & drum moves.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I can't deal with ernie wilkins these days. This on the other hand...

This thread prompted me to pull this out for the first time in at least 5 years. I only had a faint recollection of the music. It's pretty good. That's got to be one of the more subdued Jan Hammer performances (pre shred-moog era). An early Dee Dee Bridgewater feature too.

I thought you were riding for Shelly Mannekind, A*ndr*w?

Isn't this where Crink usually steps in and delivers his "tepid jazz Mainstream vs. psych rock Mainstream" speech?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I can't deal with ernie wilkins these days. This on the other hand...

This thread prompted me to pull this out for the first time in at least 5 years. I only had a faint recollection of the music. It's pretty good. That's got to be one of the more subdued Jan Hammer performances (pre shred-moog era). An early Dee Dee Bridgewater feature too.

I thought you were riding for Shelly Mannekind, A*ndr*w?

Isn't this where Crink usually steps in and delivers his "tepid jazz Mainstream vs. psych rock Mainstream" speech?

Haha - I admit to liking mannekind, hal galper and mike longo. I still have a few kynards on mainstream, but those might be next to go. Some of blue mitchell is good. His first one... self titled I think. That frank foster is an amazing album all around though.

• Haha - I admit to liking mannekind, hal galper and mike longo. I still have a few kynards on mainstream, but those might be next to go. Some of blue mitchell is good. His first one... self titled I think. That frank foster is an amazing album all around though.

well if i have to pick one, i'm probably going with Alice Clark. i'm quite fond of some other ones though like Harold Land, Hadley Caliman, Galper. still need to hear the Mauricio Smith. Although none of these are like uber for me, there's a lot of solid stuff on mainstream. honorable mention goes to the Andy Kirk reissue w/ Mary Lou Williams.

i remember liking Loud Minority less the last time i pulled it out. have to revisit it again but if i remember correctly there's at least one terrible sounding edit on there

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Blue Mitchell (the one with the track Soul Village)

Charles Williams - Trees, Grass & Things (Boogerbear track!)

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

Haha - I admit to liking mannekind, hal galper and mike longo. I still have a few kynards on mainstream, but those might be next to go.

wow... ... Mike Longo and hal galper as guilty pleasures ? ...

Interesting : for some people, to admit listening and actually enjoying those groove merchant Lps may represent an indelible mark that could prevent them from being granted some kind of "adult" diggers licence...

That 's why once in a while some random guy give out the occasional confession of a hidden, obscure past:

.... a young diggeur, when I would try to convince myself that the fuzack terds I was carting home were actually good....

I admit to liking mannekind, hal galper and mike longo. I still have a few kynards on mainstream, but those might be next to go. Some of blue mitchell is good. His first one... self titled I think. That frank foster is an amazing album all around though.

I'm with you. There's a fair share of nondescript releases on jazz-era Mainstream, but I like these:

Buddy Terry "Awareness"
    Curtis Fuller "Crankin'"
    Charles Kynard S/T
    Alice Clark S/T
    Hal Galper "Wild Bird"
    Roy Haynes "Senyah" (is "Hip Ensemble" good?)
    Shelly Manne "Mannekind"
    Mike Longo "Awakening"
    Hadley Caliman "Iapetus"
    Harold Land "Choma" (haven't heard "New Shade Of Blue")
    Pete Yellin "Dance Of Allegra"

The Blue Mitchell LPs are a bit on the bloozy snoozy tip IMO. Still have 3 of them though

Speaking of The Loud Minority, didn't they put out a Japanese-only release around the same time (or a little later)? On EastWind or something like that?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    So how is Sugar Billy's album on Fast Track (a Mainstream subsidiary)?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Haha - I admit to liking mannekind, hal galper and mike longo. I still have a few kynards on mainstream, but those might be next to go.

wow... ... Mike Longo and hal galper as guilty pleasures ? ...

Interesting : for some people, to admit listening and actually enjoying those groove merchant Lps may represent an indelible mark that could prevent them from being granted some kind of "adult" diggers licence...

That 's why once in a while some random guy give out the occasional confession of a hidden, obscure past:

.... a young diggeur, when I would try to convince myself that the fuzack terds I was carting home were actually good....

Those records are terds, dude.

Not sure why you view my poast as such a revelation. I--like many of us--bought plenty of bad records before I had the budget and knowledge/resources to more consistently ferret out the good ones, and sometimes tried to convince myself that my money hadn't been mis-spent.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Those psych albums are almost as tepid (cue SOI rant about Jelly Bean Bandits).

I like Alice Clark and the first Amboy Dukes... as well as a handful of the electronic titles.

So how is Sugar Billy's album on Fast Track (a Mainstream subsidiary)?

I like this. It's a good soul album, and it sounds rawer than the recording date would suggest ('75, but no burgeoning disco traces). If you like the title track, you'll probably like the rest of the LP.

Crink, your location is funny as hell. What thread is that from? I remember it vaguely. Izm707?

Crink, your location is funny as hell. What thread is that from? I remember it vaguely. Izm707?

It was actually a Waxidermy thread about Jellyfish records dude.

http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=14013&start=0

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

It was actually a Waxidermy thread about Jellyfish records dude.

http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=14013&start=0

Best line evar:

"I AM THE MODERATOR YOU F*CKING IDIOT!"

I was having a pretty rough week.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

LOL, that still has me laffing.

How does Jellyfish fit into all of it? I admit I skimmed the thread, but was this about '90s Cat-in-the-hat-power-pop' moves?

LOL, that still has me laffing.

How does Jellyfish fit into all of it? I admit I skimmed the thread, but was this about '90s Cat-in-the-hat-power-pop' moves?

hahaha!

No, it's a guy here in California who prices his expensive psych records in Euros. Long story short, I threw an embarrassing tantrum and the guy shows up in the end and, as the kids here at soul strut would say, "sons" me.