Joshua Redman: What Is Good?

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,904 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I have the Village Vanguard set from the 90s. Even though he's playing as if knelt at the altar of Trane, it's a melter, esp. "Second Snow". Anything more recent as good as this from the boy Redman?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I own nuffin from this cat, and he would seem right up my alley.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I have a couple CD's, but it's been so long I can't remember the names. He's a Trane junkie for shure, but in a good way.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,904 Posts

Start with the V V set.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Start with the V V set.

Yup, that's him at his best. Most of his other material doesn't quite compare, either too straightforward or too technical.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Im not too fond of his "funkier" stuff (although the cover of Zeps Crunge was pretty alright)
    His last album Back East is pretty good, as is Wish from about 10 years ago.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    i saw him live like 5-6 years ago. that was cool. i never bothered listening to his recorded work though

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Berkeley High stand up!

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I've seen him in concert and I have about 4 of his albums... I also like his drummer Brian Blade a lot so that's another draw for me to listen to Redman. I've always been a big fan of "Freedom In The Groove". I think another one to check is "Beyond". And while I don't own "Timeless Tales (For Changing Times)", his cover of Prince's 'How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore' is pretty damn nice and I'll ride for that over the Alicia Keys cover anytime. I also don't own his latest one, "Back East", but I really dig what I've heard of it, it's more traditional straight jazz.