edited March 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What song is that?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Mr. Rogers doing the Wave =

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

im surprised this hasnt been animated GIF-afied yet...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

im surprised this hasnt been animated GIF-afied yet...

serioulsy!!
    mr rogers was the schitt.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    gotta say, mr.rogers is semi creepy.
    but still, he gets respect. he was doing good things

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    gotta say, mr.rogers is semi creepy.
    but still, he gets respect. he was doing good things

I think he was on another level compared to most children's programming. What some see as creepy, I see as giving children their due respect. He was soft spoken, kind and genuinely interested in what the kids had to say and share. It never felt like he was pandering or acting the part. I think he really respected children, which is sorely needed these days.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I thought Rogers was creepy, and mostly a joke. Then I heard Terry Gross interview him and I fell and love.

• What song is that?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    . Then I heard Terry Gross interview him and I fell and love.
    elaboration, plaese

dan

elaboration, plaese

dan

The way he acts in that video is the way he is. He talks to Terry Gross the same way. He is honest and straight forward and kind. I wish I was more like him. By the way, since this is soulstrut, I will add my love for him is completely platonic.

I will add 2 more stories I heard on NPR.

Bob Krenshaw (Captain Kangaroo) said that Fred Rogers was a nice guy, but he never stopped being MR Rogers. To illustrate he told the story of having lunch with FR and ordering wine. Fred admonished him, what if a little fan came into the restaurant and saw you drinking wine, and thought if you do it he could drink wine too.

On the show this American Life a guy told his story of moving into a very diverse and rough neighborhood and all the conflicts between all the neighbors. His loud downstairs neighbor, the little old lady who was scarred of the crack dealers on the corner, the woman who was convinced the guys who were always working on their cars poisoned her dog. The radio person had met Mr Rogers when he was a tyke and decided to ask Mr Rogers what he should do about all his neighbors. He took each question one by one and had Mr Rogers give an answer. He played the answers. Mr Rogers said, maybe the crack dealers are also scarred of the little old lady too. Have they talked to each other about their fears? The radio guy is thinking, is this guy nuts? But he gets to the old lady and the guys on the corner together to talk. And the guys on the corner are scarred of her. They are afraid she is getting in their business and so forth, and she lets them know she is not, and hey, now, they are arent scarred of each other. So it goes with each neighbors problem. Respect. That is what he taught.

I wish I had watched him when I was little. First I knew about him was comedians doing impressions.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    elaboration, plaese

dan

The way he acts in that video is the way he is. He talks to Terry Gross the same way. He is honest and straight forward and kind. I wish I was more like him. By the way, since this is soulstrut, I will add my love for him is completely platonic.

I will add 2 more stories I heard on NPR.

Bob Krenshaw (Captain Kangaroo) said that Fred Rogers was a nice guy, but he never stopped being MR Rogers. To illustrate he told the story of having lunch with FR and ordering wine. Fred admonished him, what if a little fan came into the restaurant and saw you drinking wine, and thought if you do it he could drink wine too.

On the show this American Life a guy told his story of moving into a very diverse and rough neighborhood and all the conflicts between all the neighbors. His loud downstairs neighbor, the little old lady who was scarred of the crack dealers on the corner, the woman who was convinced the guys who were always working on their cars poisoned her dog. The radio person had met Mr Rogers when he was a tyke and decided to ask Mr Rogers what he should do about all his neighbors. He took each question one by one and had Mr Rogers give an answer. He played the answers. Mr Rogers said, maybe the crack dealers are also scarred of the little old lady too. Have they talked to each other about their fears? The radio guy is thinking, is this guy nuts? But he gets to the old lady and the guys on the corner together to talk. And the guys on the corner are scarred of her. They are afraid she is getting in their business and so forth, and she lets them know she is not, and hey, now, they are arent scarred of each other. So it goes with each neighbors problem. Respect. That is what he taught.

I wish I had watched him when I was little. First I knew about him was comedians doing impressions.

Word.

My Partner goes to the college that he used to go to, so dude gets some good play over there, but she showed me this video, and I had a whole new view of what Mr. Rogers does:

Latte Pas

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    What song is that?

Sounds like either a library or something recorded specifically for the show...

What song is that?

I figured that.

Imagine the music dudes tryin to come up with "BreakDance Music".

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I got goose bumbs from this.

What song is that?

Perhaps writen by Fred Rogers himself? Or was he just lyrics?