Has anybody ever watched a Tyler Perry Movie?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Aren't there like 1000s of them out there now? I've never seen one. How did this guy make so many movies? An are any of them good? And do all them feature men dressed as women?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Aren't there like 1000s of them out there now? I've never seen one. How did this guy make so many movies? An are any of them good? And do all them feature men dressed as women?

I have had to see several.

The latest one on DVD did not feature Madea at all, if I remember, and featured Janet Jackson looking super fine, but unable to act as usual.

His movies are only funny when he is dressed up as Madea and doing her thing, other than that they are pretty much the simplest of morality plays with some soap opera and broad humor vying to fill out the skimpy premises.

But I bet dude has more money than many small island nations.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Medea is his drag character that appears in most of his productions tv/movies/plays.

I was once a hattur,but was convinced after watchingDiary of a Mad Black Woman on a busride/crabfest trip. Shit has singin',mediochre acting, and Black folk drama.

Dude is making dollars that Hollywood ignores. Dude is no different than Ben Stiller/Owen crankin out quick shit for peoples.

My mom dragged me to Medea Goes To Jail, at the Beacon Theatre, and i was crazy entertained. Its the modern day Black Chiltlin Circuit. FUBU shit.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Black Ben Stiller Cinema.

I wonder how many movies he has made?

Dude is making dollars that Hollywood ignores. Dude is no different than Ben Stiller/Owen crankin out quick shit for peoples.

I disagree that they ignore it, it's a moneymaker that they love! It will never win any oscars, but bet money that Perry can get a meeting with just about anyone in Tinseltown. He can make whatever he wants, provided it's within the parameters of what you described, that Chitlin Circuit 2008 deal. He has expanded it to the Oprah market, so he has actually pushed the boundaries for what is allowed in the genre in ways he will undoubtedly never get credit for, but I would be shocked if was ever allowed to make a "Lawrence of Arabia" or "Atonement". But hey, in a world where Jim Carey can be considered for Oscars, anything can happen over time.

"What a country!"

I disagree that they ignore it, it's a moneymaker that they love! It will never win any oscars, but bet money that Perry can get a meeting with just about anyone in Tinseltown. He can make whatever he wants, provided it's within the parameters of what you described, that Chitlin Circuit 2008 deal. He has expanded it to the Oprah market, so he has actually pushed the boundaries for what is allowed in the genre in ways he will undoubtedly never get credit for, but I would be shocked if was ever allowed to make a "Lawrence of Arabia" or "Atonement". But hey, in a world where Jim Carey can be considered for Oscars, anything can happen over time.

Nah dude. He spoke to the audience at the show i attended and spoke about how many of his projects dont get the green light. He's been doin this w/ his own cash.

And if Hollywood loved it, where are all the copycats. When the Boys In the Hood phenomenon started Hollywood crancked out a good handfull of other joints simliar to it. Where are the other Black Actor-centric flicks to run along side the Medea stuff. Dude has a move every 8 months its seems w/ a trash tv show, and no one has attempted to cut into this money. Shit seems stinky to me.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts

I saw Diary of a Mad Black Woman and was really surprised. It was sold as another blackman in drag comedy but it dealt with some pretty serious issues. Terry's character was certainly secondary to the story and almost unnecessary. I was surprised by the cinematography. Very nice looking film.

Nah dude. He spoke to the audience at the show i attended and spoke about how many of his projects dont get the green light. He's been doin this w/ his own cash.

And if Hollywood loved it, where are all the copycats. When the Boys In the Hood phenomenon started Hollywood crancked out a good handfull of other joints simliar to it. Where are the other Black Actor-centric flicks to run along side the Medea stuff. Dude has a move every 8 months its seems w/ a trash tv show, and no one has attempted to cut into this money. Shit seems stinky to me.

Huh. I guess I just assumed that studios were behind his shit, because they probably cost nothing compared to other movies, and have built-in audiences across the country.

Huh. I guess I just assumed that studios were behind his shit, because they probably cost nothing compared to other movies, and have built-in audiences across the country.

If Terry is financing his own films he's making bank and probably doesn't want the studios help. Looks like the average gross is about $50 million with a production budget of around $5 million. Can't imagine it's costing more than $15mil when marketing and all else is factored in. Dude is set for life and is probably doing something he loves.

http://boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Writer&id=tylerperry.htm

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

But I bet dude has more money than many small island nations.

The one-sentence "I haven't seen this movie yet, but it's opening this week and I need to say something about it" review in the Bay-Guardian today was: "Tyler Perry prints more money." Bam!

I can't say any of his movies look too appealing to me, but good on him for finding his niche and making it work on his own terms. That by itself is pretty admirable.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    yeah it seems like the adverts for his movies always show people hugging in slow motion, which is something i usually avoid, but if he's making money like that then good on him.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    people like that medea bullshit which i find lame as hell.
    Men dressing up like a woman an acting..nonononono

Maybe these flicks arent what y'all want but to see Black Folks in a somewhat positive light vs. Warmed over Gangsta shit maybe you should give it a chance.

I would say his movies are like Smooth R&B joints. Slow,sappy,Middle Class aspirational,gloss fests.

Checkout any of the movie soundtracks and that can give u some insight to whom the demographic it serves.

• Aren't there like 1000s of them out there now? I've never seen one. How did this guy make so many movies? An are any of them good? And do all them feature men dressed as women?

I saw Diary of a Mad Black Woman and was really surprised. It was sold as another blackman in drag comedy but it dealt with some pretty serious issues. Terry's character was certainly secondary to the story and almost unnecessary. I was surprised by the cinematography. Very nice looking film.

^^^^

AND THEY SPEAK SO WELL!

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Maybe these flicks arent what y'all want but to see Black Folks in a somewhat positive light vs. Warmed over Gangsta shit maybe you should give it a chance.

I would say his movies are like Smooth R&B joints. Slow,sappy,Middle Class aspirational,gloss fests.

Checkout any of the movie soundtracks and that can give u some insight to whom the demographic it serves.

my girl likes his movies, positive insight but just to plain for me not enough gangsta shit...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I need my movies to have body parts. preferably flying. in slow motion.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Dudes are mad that someone would make movies that aren't targetted towards them.

Are u tellin me that u didnt laff at Jamie Foxx and Martin Lawrence?

Too gangsta to laff!

Too gangsta to laff!

haha....Wire fans....

Too gangsta to laff!

haha....Wire fans....

let me offer a White perspective:

dudes in women's clothes=funny

Too gangsta to laff!

haha....Wire fans....

let me offer a White perspective:

dudes in women's clothes=funny

but just to plain for me not enough gangsta shit...

^^^^

AND THEY SPEAK SO WELL!

Saying. It's the best film I've seen since Harry Met Sally.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I've seen more Madea plays on DVD than I care to count. Batmon's Chittlin circut comment was spot on. He has been HUGE in the black community for years and years. I personally can do without the melodrama, cheesey lines, "I pray for you more than I pray for myself." That being said, Madea is funny as shit and his last movie was his best IMO because it cut down on the corniness. His TV show is still bad though.

I've seen more Madea plays on DVD than I care to count. Batmon's Chittlin circut comment was spot on. He has been HUGE in the black community for years and years. I personally can do without the melodrama, cheesey lines, "I pray for you more than I pray for myself." That being said, Madea is funny as shit and his last movie was his best IMO because it cut down on the corniness. His TV show is still bad though.

This is w/ out Medea and is outside if her family universe. Grown-N-Sexy steez.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    All his movies look awful. I have never had the desire to watch any of them. A few nights ago my girl put on "Why did I get married" and made me watch it with her. It was actually pretty good! Way better then I would have expected. She told me his other stuff is decent as well. Still not THAT interested but would be willing to give them a chance. On a flip side has anyone seen that ad for Master P's version of Madea called like Uncle fester or some shit like that and he (Percy miller) is all dressed up. Wowsers.........

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    is tyler perry gay? i get that vibe when watching Family Guy and his TBS commercial comes on.

not that' there's anything wrong with that..

• nessness 249 Posts
    is tyler perry gay?

he was. he's cured now.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    When a young family member came to visit we each rented 3 dvds that we liked to share. She rented a Tyler Perry movie about a church going woman who is thrown out by her asshole husband. This movie spoke to her, she has a church going mom and an asshole dad.

He has 2 audiences that Hollywood ignores, and considers to ignore despite his success. The first has been mentioned repeatedly in this thread. The second is people who go to church and believe in God, like my visiting family member.

The movie, I think it was A Diary Of A Mad Black Woman, was filled with flaws. The drama was good, but the comedy didn't seem to fit and and the sub plots didn't come together. Some moments were so unreal that they made the whole thing hard to believe to me. The moral tale was confused, vague and simplistic, which best I can tell fits well with lots of Xian theology as it is taught in today's mega churches.

I would gladly watch another Tyler Perry with her.