Obama's Pastor

13»

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Unless you have video of Obama saying this stuff I could give a F*CK.

I know people who cheat, does that make me a bad person?

And really.........someone's preacher said something crazy! Ohhhhhhhh...the world is ending. You ever watched any religious TV? That's way more crazy than this guy.

For really. The same people getting the most upset about these comments are the same ones that are vying to put Jerry Falwell up for sainthood.

Dude...you're way off base....who cares if the Fallwell crowd gets upset, they weren't going to vote for Barack anyway...it's the folks who were torn between Hillary and Barack that this will have the REAL effect on...and you should give a shit about that given who you support.

Not saying that at all. Just pointing to their reaction. How is that way off?

Trust me, I know that Obama has no chance of infiltrating that set whatsoever. I'm pointing to their reactions more than anything. I could care less who they vote for, at the end of the day they'll never vote for a Dem or McCain, willingly.

So you don't think that any of the people getting upset by this were potential Obama supporters??

I do.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Unless you have video of Obama saying this stuff I could give a F*CK.

I know people who cheat, does that make me a bad person?

And really.........someone's preacher said something crazy! Ohhhhhhhh...the world is ending. You ever watched any religious TV? That's way more crazy than this guy.

For really. The same people getting the most upset about these comments are the same ones that are vying to put Jerry Falwell up for sainthood.

Dude...you're way off base....who cares if the Fallwell crowd gets upset, they weren't going to vote for Barack anyway...it's the folks who were torn between Hillary and Barack that this will have the REAL effect on...and you should give a shit about that given who you support.

Not saying that at all. Just pointing to their reaction. How is that way off?

Trust me, I know that Obama has no chance of infiltrating that set whatsoever. I'm pointing to their reactions more than anything. I could care less who they vote for, at the end of the day they'll never vote for a Dem or McCain, willingly.

So you don't think that any of the people getting upset by this were potential Obama supporters??

I do.

I do too, but I really just meant the people that are taking this and running with it. I definitely see a loss in support, but I'm sure the torch carriers on the issue are gonna be the people that have been waiting for this kinda thing to surface from the beginning.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    John McCain's spiritual advisor is named John Hagee. He is famous for his hate filled anti-Catholic, anti-gay rants.

He blames gays for Hurricane Katrina. He blames Jews for the persecution of Jews. He claims that the Quran teaches the killing of Jews and Christians.

Yet, McCain can't get close enough to this guy. McCain is trying to use Hagee's endorsement - and his support of Hagee - to show religious hate groups that he is really one of them.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    On the September 18, 2006, edition of National Public Radio's Fresh Air, Hagee stated that Hurricane Katrina was an act of God, punishing New Orleans for "a level of sin that was offensive to God". He specifically referred to a "homosexual parade" that was held on the date the hurricane struck and that this was proof "of the judgment of God against the city of New Orleans" [1] , even though the Southern Decadence parade was scheduled for the following week and the primary gay neighborhoods, the French Quarter and the Marigny, were spared the flooding and destruction.[/b] Another reason for God's wrath, Hagee claims, was the Bush administration's pressure on Israel to abandon settlements and the land associated with them. Therefore, God took American land in a tit for tat exchange during Hurricane Katrina.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    John McCain's spiritual advisor is named John Hagee. He is famous for his hate filled anti-Catholic, anti-gay rants.

He blames gays for Hurricane Katrina. He blames Jews for the persecution of Jews. He claims that the Quran teaches the killing of Jews and Christians.

Yet, McCain can't get close enough to this guy. McCain is trying to use Hagee's endorsement - and his support of Hagee - to show religious hate groups that he is really one of them.

Well then the Dems need to go on a major offensive with that information (although honestly I think your average Joe Blow voter will be much more offended by anything 9/11 related than anti-gay craziness). Personally I don't give a shit about Obama's pastor but I can see the right making this into a BIG issue like the swift boat/medal tossing crap in '04. And I can see it really mattering to a lot of people. They're going to try everything they can to keep Obama on the defensive and make this election about "who loves America more" rather than...you know...real issues that matter.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I say we apply what I like to call the "Rockadelic Test" to controversies of this type. If, after the major networks have played the "shocking footage" a thousand times, Rich is still voting for Barack, then it's not that big a deal. Looks like we scraped by on this one. Next.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I say we apply what I like to call the "Rockadelic Test" to controversies of this type. If, after the major networks have played the "shocking footage" a thousand times, Rich is still voting for Barack, then it's not that big a deal. Looks like we scraped by on this one. Next.

I'm voting for him as long as he is a candidate. Next.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    well, at least his pastor isnt the "i - dont - give a F*CK!" video pastor!!

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    Obama gave interviews on all 3 cable news channels last night

A questionable move was stating that he knew nothing of the pastor's "controversial" propensities until recently -- and never witnessed such behavior. This probably won't convince many people, I was hoping he'd have a better explanation.

More clips could come out too, the church must tape most sermons

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Obama gave interviews on all 3 cable news channels last night

A questionable move was stating that he knew nothing of the pastor's "controversial" propensities until recently -- and never witnessed such behavior. This probably won't convince many people, I was hoping he'd have a better explanation.

More clips could come out too, the church must tape most sermons

The timing of these partially-disturbing clips (what's faulty about the assertions that America was built and currently is run by rich white men, and that Hillary hasn't been ever been denigrated on behalf of her race?) probably works out in Obama's favor. He's closing in on the Dem nomination and, after the road bump that will be Pennsylvania, should amass enough Delegates to clinch the nomination either way. Unless we see superdelegates actually leaving his side publicly (he's closing in on Hillary in that category at this point), he'll probably be fine. True, this all comes out before the general election, but it would've been downright deadly in the 2-plus-month span between the late-August convention and the November election, when it would have constituted an even more serious blow. But as it is, this information will have been aired out a full Spring and Summer before the showdown vs. McCain. If there are extant sermon tapes being held for release until that period, the scab would be picked open afresh. But this comes out at a good "tweener" period; sooner is better than later. Keep in mind: this will certainly polarize millions of voters, but the majority of those who are climbing on top of Obama for company he keeps would never have voted for him in the first place.

The worst thing is that, as stated above, absolutely nobody buys Obama's assertion that was blissfully unaware of the inclination of his pastor toward these statements (an assertion that will come back to haunt him), and Obama's allowance that Dr. Wright was the man who "led him to Christ" won't help either. Obama can't back out of this - he can't really turn on his pastor and say: "The man is retiring because he's senile" or "I never really attended the church very much in the first place," and he certainly can't stick by him. He's stuck in the middle-ground; he's got to equivocate and waffle. The only event that would bail Obama out completely would be a diagnosis of Alzheimer's or dementia on behalf of Dr. Wright. Now THAT would be a godsend.

Imagine the Hitchens article related to this event.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Checking out the major news sites this morning and it looks like the headlines are more about Obama's denouncement of Wright than the fresh shock of the video clips, etc. from late yesterday. Friday evening is actually the least-potent time to have a story like this break in the news cycle.

I'm sure it'll be covered a bit by the talking heads on Sunday morning, but it should be off the cover pages by the end of the weekend.

Still, too early to tell what kind of affect this will have on voters.

• MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts