Latest From McCain

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central

My computer doesn't have sound right now so I haven't heard this. I understand his surrogate attacks, calls Obama Hussein, then McCain apologizes.In other news Hillary explains she got a little carried away attacking Obama, it's just that she doesn't like liars.

Comments

• My computer doesn't have sound right now so I haven't heard this.

I understand his surrogate attacks, calls Obama Hussein, then McCain apologizes.

In other news Hillary explains she got a little carried away attacking Obama, it's just that she doesn't like liars.

Has the shit actually started coming out of her ears yet? She's clearly full.

• I assume he's trying to make it as clear as possible that he really had nothing to do with the comments. Gotta say he did seem genuine about it.

• I assume he's trying to make it as clear as possible that he really had nothing to do with the comments. Gotta say he did seem genuine about it.

Yeah, it just looked to me like he was trying to put out what people want to hear: "Here's a man who accepts responsibility and gets down to work." But how can he accept responsibility for what someone else said? After all, he didn't say it.

That's just how it is. Someone was speaking on his behalf at a rally, therefore he is known as a "surrogate". The surrogates sometimes get down and dirty. The candidate therefore has some distance from that and can maintain some level of plausible deniability if the shit hits the fan (which McCain could have elected to hide behind). But in this case I don't think the middle name references were part of some McCain strategy. Who really knows though?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I assume he's trying to make it as clear as possible that he really had nothing to do with the comments. Gotta say he did seem genuine about it.

Yeah, it just looked to me like he was trying to put out what people want to hear: "Here's a man who accepts responsibility and gets down to work." But how can he accept responsibility for what someone else said? After all, he didn't say it.

That's just how it is. Someone was speaking on his behalf at a rally, therefore he is known as a "surrogate". The surrogates sometimes get down and dirty. The candidate therefore has some distance from that and can maintain some level of plausible denyability if the shit hits the fan (which McCain could have elected to hide behind). But in this case I don't think the middle name references were part of some McCain strategy. Who really knows though?

If McCain was slicker, or more dishonest, he would have said "I don't support those statements or tactics, but I can't control what other people say and do". That is what Bush and Clinton do when their surrogates get nasty. Instead it sounds like McCain completely condemmend the statements and "took responsibility".

I think he is clean when it comes to this kind of thing, and that is why he is going to lose, I mean win, no lose, or win... first win, then lose.

I have not heard Huckabees named in the last few weeks.

• it was a local talk radio guy warming up the crowd
    apparently put there by local supporters
    I think McCain handled it well, seems like a minor incident but he still gave a fairly tough response against the talk show host.
    I take McCain at his word, no reason not to do so. The host is even mad at him.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    it was a local talk radio guy warming up the crowd
    apparently put there by local supporters
    I think McCain handled it well, seems like a minor incident but he still gave a fairly tough response against the talk show host.
    I take McCain at his word, no reason not to do so. The host is even mad at him.

Yeah - I don't see this as nefarious. I think McCain did the right thing. Trying to pull a Willie Horton on Obama is not going to serve him well and I think he'll go to great lengths to avoid any appearance as such.

At least...for now.