Obama and Hip Hop

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This guy generally gives a pretty smooth interview, but his defense of hip hop was probably the most convoluted answer I've seen him give. Definitely the first time he struck me as a POLITICIAN trying to cover all his bases.

True.

Can u image what the other candidates would say though?
    Dudes wouldnt and couldnt even address it.

I don't think some dudes are realizing how far out on a limb he went just by saying that much.

How do they want him to answer the question?

"IT'S BARACK O'DRAMA, B***H!"?

This guy generally gives a pretty smooth interview, but his defense of hip hop was probably the most convoluted answer I've seen him give. Definitely the first time he struck me as a POLITICIAN trying to cover all his bases.

True.

Can u image what the other candidates would say though?
    Dudes wouldnt and couldnt even address it.

chuch;

and that's why I ride for Obama. I'm not sure why guys are making an issue about his response, what did you expect he's a politician. Guys are GRASPING AT HATE STRAWZ here.

I am saying.

He's not trying to get into the VIP section in the collective SoulStrut private mindgarden; he's trying to get elected President of the United States.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    BARACK O'DRAMA & CONDALEZZA N'ICE

• I'm an issue voter. I wanna know his views on MOP.

MOP is....is ............is tight!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm an issue voter. I wanna know his views on Stakes Is High.

I'm an issue voter. I wanna know his views on Tapestry.

• I'm an issue voter. I wanna know his views on whether sampling from mp3's is okay.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    EHHHHHH here you guys go again.

OK, he handled it better than anyone else could have (those that even would have). I think it just shows what a weird place we live in where a candidate has to be more careful about a question regarding a form of music than a question pertaining to almost anything else. Everyone running has gotten so good at reducing their views to 4 sentences or less, but watch the video. This question kinda had stumbling a bit. I've just never seen Obama walk on eggshells like this before. I'm not saying its his fault, I'm saying Americans are kinda wacko.

Obviously I support Barack, I post on soul strut.

• How do they want him to answer the question?

i like jay-z and kanye west.

his answer just sounds silly. yea, i'm listening to American Gangster right now and i like jay-z...but, i don't like the violence, misogyny and glorification of material things. if i was the reporter my response would be - so i guess you don't like jay-z!?!

its like saying you like horror movies but not the blood. its whatever, but i think obama was a little too paranoid about an "Obama's theme song is Money Cash Hoes" headline.

EHHHHHH here you guys go again.

OK, he handled it better than anyone else could have (those that even would have). I think it just shows what a weird place we live in where a candidate has to be more careful about a question regarding a form of music than a question pertaining to almost anything else. Everyone running has gotten so good at reducing their views to 4 sentences or less, but watch the video. This question kinda had stumbling a bit. I've just never seen Obama walk on eggshells like this before. I'm not saying its his fault, I'm saying Americans are kinda wacko.

Why So Serious?

• EHHHHHH here you guys go again.

damn, maybe Brian was right.

i think obama was a little too paranoid about an "Obama's theme song is Money Cash Hoes" headline.

With good reason probably.

his answer just sounds silly. yea, i'm listening to American Gangster right now and i like jay-z...but, i don't like the violence, misogyny and glorification of material things. if i was the reporter my response would be - so i guess you don't like jay-z!?!

its like saying you like horror movies but not the blood. its whatever, but i think obama was a little too paranoid about an "Obama's theme song is Money Cash Hoes" headline.

I think he was talking about hip-hop in general. I mean, if we really want to get into it he mentions Kanye West as well, who's holds his share of lyrics about "money, misogyny" as well. But since Kanye leans a bit away from that and to more on the "positive side of things" NONE OF YOU DUDES MENTION IT BECAUSE IT WOULD PROVE YOU GUYS ARE WRONG AND THUS HAVE NO REASON TO HATE ON DUDE.

fox news up in this muh'fucka.

Why aren't joker's hands white like his face?

• but what are Obama's views on the Kanye album cover?

Uh,........... i think he did say he like the "Flow". he probably cant decipher haff the thing Jay-Z is sayin anyways, but knows what good rhythmic flow should sound to the ear.

Whatever.

• Uh,........... i think he did say he like the "Flow".

yea, he was even corny with that. as jay-z likes to say...

please, you can use the word "flow" in response to a question about hip hop coming from a bet reporter! if you don't think obama was trying to cover every base with each word, this is a perfect example. the paranoia here was an "Obama speaks in Ebonics" headline.

loosen up big fella. get those limbs working. bend your knees.

^^^^^BLATANT HATE FROM A HILLARY SUPPORTER

b/w

You dudes are like a bunch of little kids who can't appreciate the appropriate boundaries when an adult shows some interest in your music.

You should be satisfied that a presidential candidate acknowledged the importance of Jay-Z and spoke of his music in complimentary terms.

But instead it's "He's probably never even heard that back in the day 'Originators,' yo!"

Grow up!

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

"IT'S BARACK O'DRAMA, B***H!"?

Hey, that's what *I* was expecting. All in all, I thought it was a great interview.

Uh,........... i think he did say he like the "Flow".

please, you can use the word "flow" in response to a question about hip hop coming from a bet reporter! if you don't think obama was trying to cover every base with each word, this is a perfect example. the paranoia here was an "Obama speaks in Ebonics" headline.

wow

^^^^^BLATANT HATE FROM A HILLARY SUPPORTER

b/w

You dudes are like a bunch of little kids who can't appreciate the appropriate boundaries when an adult shows some interest in your music.

You should be satisfied that a presidential candidate acknowledged the importance of Jay-Z and spoke of his music in complimentary terms.

But instead it's "He's probably never even heard that back in the day 'Originators,' yo!"

Grow up!

Sayin

Why aren't you herbs going ape-shit for his very public interest into classic soul music? NOT RAER ENOUGH FOR YOUR KKKKKUNTPUSTULEZZZ.

Shiiiet, half of you dudes who claim to like rap have openly and repeatedly hated on Jay-Z. So let's fall back on the stringent witch hunt you dudes are pulling.

• lol would love to see Hillary speak on it

Uh,........... i think he did say he like the "Flow".

wow

So KVH's analysis is that, on the one hand, Obama's vocalization of the word "flow" was "corny" and, on the other hand, he was clearly afraid of an "Obama speaks in ebonics" headline?

I'm just wondering what sort of "loosening up" would satisfy KVH?

Maybe Obama's supposed to say "He skraight rips it, yo!" except with conviction?

lol would love to see Hillary speak on it

Ever see her get her southern twang on when speaking to Black Folks. She damn near breaks into the.................

Randy: Can I get you something?
    Jive Brother 1: Smo fo buttah layin' to the bone, jackin' me up...tightly!
    Randy: I'm sorry. I don't understand.
    Jive Brother 2: Cutty say he can't hang!
    Jive Lady: Oh, stewardess. I speak jive.
    Randy: Oh, good.
    Jive Lady: He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.
    Randy: Would you tell him to just relax, and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicene.
    Jive Lady: Jes hang loose, blood. She gonna catch up on the rebound a da medicide.
    Jive Brother 1: What it is big mama? My mama didn't raise no dummy; I dug her rap!
    Jive Lady: Cut me some slack, jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don' git no help. Jive ass dude don' got no brains anyhow!

• i'm saying - he's stiff.

when talking about your favorite music, politician or not, you shouldn't feel compelled to qualify every sentence, or in obama's case, every word. if you like jay-z's flow but not his message, i think it could have been said a lot clearer. too much hedging going on for a music discussion. he didn't ask him about giving drivers licenses to illegal immigrants.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Anyway you cut it, I'm more down for a president that acknowledges ANY value in a Black music form.

Better than someone picking say... Celine Dion!!!

GTFOHWTBS!!!

Pretty soon, Hillary will try to one-up by performing a "tea-bag dat hoe" on an Obama effigy.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    And yet Hillary even focus-grouped her campaign song, giving her supporters an option to choose between Smash Mouth and the Dixie Chicks.

Story here

What's her favorite song from the latest Jay-Z? I bet she doesn't even listen to music, probably rolls around town with the Star Wars Imperial theme song.

if you like jay-z's flow but not his message, i think it could have been said a lot clearer.

it be cleer 2 mee

• i'm saying - he's stiff.

when talking about your favorite music, politician or not, you shouldn't feel compelled to qualify every sentence, or in obama's case, every word. if you like jay-z's flow but not his message, i think it could have been said a lot clearer. too much hedging going on for a music discussion. he didn't ask him about giving drivers licenses to illegal immigrants.

b/w
    ^^^^^
    PUBLIC SPEAKING-STRUT REVEALED.

BONUS BEAT:

You're looking so hard to hate it's obvious that you're shook about Obama.