Cleaning Records

2»

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Wood glue method came to mind but again - if this is stuff that repeated soaks and VPI cleaning won't get out, I'm not convinced glue is going to do the trick either. I think the glue works if you *don't* have a vacuum cleaning system. But if we're talking shit that has to be dug out via stylus, I'm thinking you need something with greater dissolving power on the front end.

I've definitely had records that benefited from a cycle of VPI cleaning, playing, cleaning, playing etc. I have a laboratory at the store with a wide variety of cleaning methods at my disposal, and sometimes playing a record is just another tool to help get a record clean and playing well.

I don't bother with the glue method, though. I'm sure it can be effective (use wood glue and not cement!), but with the other methods I have it's not worth the time and effort.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I've done the wood glue and the Elmer's All Glue and they both work great but the wood glue is just HELL to get off.

Really? I just loosened the dried glue a little bit around the edge of the record and pulled it off in one piece without any trouble, first try.

Maybe you didn't let it dry long enough. I let it sit around 18 hours. It has to be completely transparent, no white parts left. Or perhaps you didn't put on a thick enough layer.

According to the audio nerds, glue works even better than liquid+vacuum for the really deep gunk, but because of the time factor I guess it's something you'd only use on special cases.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Anybody got a link to the make your own record cleaning fluid?

• Apparently, a lot of audiophile type dudes swear by this method:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

It's quite sad that this forum has 59 pages of people discussing the application of PVA glue.

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts
    Zippo fluid

melted or better

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Wood glue method came to mind but again - if this is stuff that repeated soaks and VPI cleaning won't get out, I'm not convinced glue is going to do the trick either. I think the glue works if you *don't* have a vacuum cleaning system. But if we're talking shit that has to be dug out via stylus, I'm thinking you need something with greater dissolving power on the front end.

Elmer's glue is water soluble so zero risk - so long as you get the kids stuff you know what you're dealing with. Wood glues aren't usually water-based and can vary quite a lot as to how they dry so you need the right one...

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I use the KAB EV-1 it is just like a Nitty Gritty record cleaner you add your own vacuum http://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm it cost me about $170....

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

Maybe you didn't let it dry long enough. I let it sit around 18 hours. It has to be completely transparent, no white parts left. Or perhaps you didn't put on a thick enough layer.

With the wood glue I think maybe I didn't make it thick enough. I always manage to get it all off just in alot of pieces. Overall I can't complain with the results.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Apparently, a lot of audiophile type dudes swear by this method:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

It's quite sad that this forum has 59 pages of people discussing the application of PVA glue.

Um, see "Glass Houses" and "Stone throwing."