Favorite Cotique + Speed titles?

2»

Comments

• how many titles are there on speed? i thought seven until i saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=001

This record is a comp with tracks from all sorts of different labels, Fonseca, Fania, Cotique, Tico, etc. Whats weird about the record is that it doesn't follow the last catalouge number of Speed, I think its 0111, which makes me think there a few unreleased Speed albums somewhere out there.

I assumed that maybe it's some "special products"-type joint with its' own series?

Just the mere fact that Sid's name is up front and they licensed all these tunes from other labels makes me think it could be some kind of vanity pressing for the radio station.

Could be but Sid was long gone from the radio when this record came out. I have it at home, will check it out tonight and post some more info.

The second Johnny Colon record is his best imo, very tough to find clean too.

Which album was this?

"Boogaloo '67" the track "You gotta love me" is unfadable.

• The second Johnny Colon record is his best imo, very tough to find clean too.

Which album was this?
    "Boogaloo '67" the track "You gotta love me" is unfadable.
    Yeah, that's one of the two I have.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

In regards to Cotique recommendations, really I like a lot of things on the label. A lot of people recommend the Chollo Rivera record, but to me he is an immitation of Ralfi Pagan, who does the falsetto style better imo.

Just got this in - I don't think it's that Pagan-esque, mostly b/c Pagan rocks that falsetto more. The singer here - Billy Scruggs - is ok...not extraordinary but at least he doesn't over do it like some of the other Latin soul singers I've been listening to of late. Like, Scruggs actually has a decent voice, has good vocal control and isn't trying to do crazy Harvey-Averne-on-crack runs.

That said, they should have stayed away from "I Got the Feelin." Doesn't do Brown an ounce of justice.

I have to say, it has been a revelation how painful a lot of Latin soul is from a vocals p.o.v. I find myself skipping past some of the weaker boogaloos and hoping there's a slammin' descarga instead.

• I have to say, it has been a revelation how painful a lot of Latin soul is from a vocals p.o.v. I find myself skipping past some of the weaker boogaloos and hoping there's a slammin' descarga instead.

Hence why the latin soul/boogaloo scene only lasted a few years!

I have to say, it has been a revelation how painful a lot of Latin soul is from a vocals p.o.v. I find myself skipping past some of the weaker boogaloos and hoping there's a slammin' descarga instead.

Hence why the latin soul/boogaloo scene only lasted a few years!

:ewf: that's not what I was trying to suggest!

• The Lat-Teens!!!

Although weren't you telling me that you weren't that blown away by this band, when I started a Lat-Teens thread some time back?
    Really dig that album. I'm not that big on Latin titles, but that shit is

• The second Johnny Colon record is his best imo, very tough to find clean too.

Cool Chris introduced me to Colon's Boogaloo '67 lp...clean copy, as you would expect nothing but the best (cleanest) in that store.

Still slowly researching Boogaloo but I also like Psychedelic...so far...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-LATIN-45-BOBBY-MATOS-SPEED-RECORDS-M-ROMAN-LISTEN-/260731877124?pt=UK_Records&hash=item3cb4d4b704#ht_500wt_1156

:holygrail:

I learned about this over a year ago, mentioned it to a small handful of folks and hoped one of them might turn it up. Figures it'd be a Brit though. It's not hot fire but it is one of the rarest of the rare Speed singles.

From Bobby Matos' unreleased album on Speed.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Hot Pastrana has my favorite cut by him in the world. such a banger. sounds almost exactly like a track on Joey but superior to me.....this is actually one of my favorite ballads ever...