SNL - SECOND SEASON ON DVD THIS WEEK

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Steve Martin debut was very good.

What is up w/ all the guitar and stool musicians on here. I cant take it. Everybody has a costume on.

I can see why PUNK happened.

• What is up w/ all the guitar and stool musicians on here. I cant take it. I can see why PUNK happened.

Well, it's like I told y'all in an earlier SNL thread - even though the show went out of its' way to be eclectic with their music choices, they were still kinda leaning towards the folky singer-songwriters, with two Gordon Lightfeet for every one Meters (for example). Even on the ep you just saw, which was Steve Martin's debut, Kinky Friedman had a rep for being outrageous ("the Texas Jewboy"), yet he appeared singing this quiet ballad about Abbie Hoffman ("Dear Abbie").

I'm gonna be home all day, so at some point, if and when I get through listening to records, I'm definitely gonna pop an episode or two into the box, although I haven't been watching in chrono order like you have been. Five down, seventeen to go! (Not counting the "special features"...)

• The Steve Martin debut was very good.

It was. Just got through watching it, one of the most end-to-end funniest ever. Steve Martin and SNL went together like wet and water, and you can see why he's hosted more than multiple times.

Garrett Morris playing a blind bluesman in a beatnik coffeehouse =

And the show was SO far ahead of it's day that it had John Belushi playing a character named Blog.

It was. Just got through watching it, one of the most end-to-end funniest ever. Steve Martin and SNL went together like wet and water, and you can see why he's hosted more than multiple times.

Were the writers just stepping thier game up or was Martin contributing to the skits/concepts? I wonder?

• get small

• The Steve Martin debut was very good.

Were the writers just stepping thier game up or was Martin contributing to the skits/concepts? I wonder?

Martin had to have been adding a little something to the stew. You can kinda tell when a host brings something to the script vs. when they just go along with the program. Steve and SNL just seemed to groove with each other. Buck Henry, too.

Not so sure about the Karen Black ep I saw last night. Not that it was necessarily her fault, but that one was kinda limp. (SPOILER ALERT) Had an unusual ending, too - the last skit (which went nowhere) must have been running late, 'cause they cut straight from that to the credits, over the opening photo montage, without so much as a so-long-see-you-next-week. The whole cast standing together in the middle of the stage, hugging and waving goodbye? They had none of that. Only other ep I can think of like that was Rob Reiner's, but that was early in the first season when they hadn't really gotten their shit together yet, so they had an excuse.

Martin had to have been adding a little something to the stew. You can kinda tell when a host brings something to the script vs. when they just go along with the program. Steve and SNL just seemed to groove with each other. Buck Henry, too.

Not so sure about the Karen Black ep I saw last night. Not that it was necessarily her fault, but that one was kinda limp. (SPOILER ALERT) Had an unusual ending, too - the last skit (which went nowhere) must have been running late, 'cause they cut straight from that to the credits, over the opening photo montage, without so much as a so-long-see-you-next-week. The whole cast standing together in the middle of the stage, hugging and waving goodbye? They had none of that. Only other ep I can think of like that was Rob Reiner's, but that was early in the first season when they hadn't really gotten their shit together yet, so they had an excuse.

The Karen Black Ep was weak, along w/ the Paul Simon/George Harrison EP.

• The Karen Black Ep was weak, along w/ the Paul Simon/George Harrison EP.

I haven't seen the Simon/Harrison ep in a long time (and haven't gotten around to it on the DVD yet), but I'm sorta not looking forward to it, for fear that he might bogart the whole show with his limp folksinging.

Out of the second-season DVD, I'd say that the Julian Bond episode is the worst (SNL didn't really get it right with racial humor till Eddie Murphy came along), with Karen Black coming in second. Haven't watched the Lily Tomlin, Norman Lear, Eric Idle (with Joe Cocker), Buck Henry (with the Band), Dick Cavett, Paul Simon, Jodie Foster, Ralph Nader, Jack Burns, Sissy Spacek, or Steve Martin (with the Kinks) yet (although I saw most of these back in the day).

The Karen Black Ep was weak, along w/ the Paul Simon/George Harrison EP.

I haven't seen the Simon/Harrison ep in a long time (and haven't gotten around to it on the DVD yet), but I'm sorta not looking forward to it, for fear that he might bogart the whole show with his limp folksinging.

Out of the second-season DVD, I'd say that the Julian Bond episode is the worst (SNL didn't really get it right with racial humor till Eddie Murphy came along), with Karen Black coming in second. Haven't watched the Lily Tomlin, Norman Lear, Eric Idle (with Joe Cocker), Buck Henry (with the Band), Dick Cavett, Paul Simon, Jodie Foster, Ralph Nader, Jack Burns, Sissy Spacek, or Steve Martin (with the Kinks) yet (although I saw most of these back in the day).

I watched the Bond Ep Brick performance and slipped into the bad Garrett Morrison w/ Belushi/Ack/Murray "actin" Black.....very bad parody of Motown-esque era Soul.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    ...yet another reason to be happy. I'm definitely copping mine early on.
    I need this.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Wow...I'm watching the Jodie Foster episode...

Jodie's about as funny as a heart attack, Gilda is noticeably pissed off that she didn't have much to do in that week's show, and Brian Wilson is offkey something terrible on the sing "Love Is A Woman"...

Wow...I'm watching the Jodie Foster episode...

Rookie-ish.

Bill Murray's debut episode was very good.....

Ralph Nader/George Benson

First aired: 1/15/1977
    Live from New York, it's... Ralph Nader!

Sketches include "Ralph Cuts Loose," "Badmouthing Grandfather," "Dress Rehearsal for Execution," "Carter's Confederate Takeover," a performance by Andy Kaufman, "Baba Wawa Talks to Herself," "The Coneheads at Home," "Youth Asks The Questions," "Garbage" (film), "Testing Inflatable Dolls," and "Ambassador Training Institute."

George Benson performed "Masquerade" and "Gonna Love You More.

Ruth Gordon/Chuch Berry

First aired: 1/22/1977
    Live from New York, it's... John Belushi in a wheelchair!

Sketches include "Belushi's Too Sick," "The Marines," "Barbra Streisand," "Emily Litella's Sister," "Tomorrow with Tom Snyder," "Crazy Frank," "Night Moves" (film), "Little Old Ladies of The Night," "Babysitter Sex Expert," "Mr. Bill's Magic" (film), a performance by magician Ricky Jay, "E. Buzz Miller," "The Last Days of Howard Hughes," and "Mr. Mike's Least-Loved Bedtime Tales."

Chuck Berry performed "Johnny B. Goode" and "Marie & Carol."

Chuck looked good in 77.

Fran Tarkenton/Leo Sayer/Donny Harper

First aired: 1/29/1977
    Live from New York, it's... the cast of SNL!
    Sketches include "Locker Room Pep Talk," "Swiss Army Gun," "Amy Carter in School," "Chambers' Missing Arm," "Black Perspective," "Home Restaurant," "Anabolic Steroids Cereal," "Community Appeal," "Fran's One-Night Stand," "Grand Stand," "Wrigley's," "Small Worlds" (film), "French Liquid," and "Rhonda's Credit Card Counseling."

Leo Sayer performed "When I Need You" and "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing"; Donny Harper & The Voices of Tomorrow perform "Sing a Song."

Anyone know anything about Donny Harper & Them.....their version of Sins A song was beautiful.

• Bill Murray's debut episode was very good.....

Ralph Nader/George Benson

First aired: 1/15/1977
    Live from New York, it's... Ralph Nader!

One of the episodes I still haven't gotten to on the DVD (although I do remember seeing a rerun back in the day).

Ruth Gordon/Chuch Berry

First aired: 1/22/1977

Chuck looked good in 77.

Chuck was also thrifty with his wardrobe - I swear I saw him wear that exact same multicolored shirt when I saw him live, nine years later (featuring a Keith Richard guest spot, still the closest I've come to seeing the Stones live).

Fran Tarkenton/Leo Sayer/Donny Harper

First aired: 1/29/1977
    Live from New York, it's... the cast of SNL!
    Sketches include "Locker Room Pep Talk," "Swiss Army Gun," "Amy Carter in School," "Chambers' Missing Arm," "Black Perspective," "Home Restaurant," "Anabolic Steroids Cereal," "Community Appeal," "Fran's One-Night Stand," "Grand Stand," "Wrigley's," "Small Worlds" (film), "French Liquid," and "Rhonda's Credit Card Counseling."

Leo Sayer performed "When I Need You" and "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing"; Donny Harper & The Voices of Tomorrow perform "Sing a Song."

Anyone know anything about Donny Harper & Them.....their version of Sins A song was beautiful.

Donnie Harper ain't too hard to Google...evidently he has become a major force in contemporary gospel since then.

Youll have to peep O.J. Simpson in the audience in one of the episodes.....

• Youll have to peep O.J. Simpson who later hosted the next season[/b] in the audience in one of the episodes.....

I think I saw Bette Midler and Jodie Foster (right before she hosted herself) in there too, although the camera didn't linger on them. There were a couple of later episodes which had audience shots of Roberta Flack ("we're killing her softly with our show") and Cheetah Chrome ("mentally undressing girlfriend"). Does SNL still do this?

If the ep of SCTV with the SNL parody is on DVD, somebody let me know...

• Boz Scaggs was real cool, but his second number sounded to similiar to the first one.

"Lowdown" made me laugh - the guitarist (Elliott Randall?) had a serious case of Solo Face...squinting, growling, the whole nauseating bit...

Joe Cocker/Stuff was alright.

Look closely during "You Are So Beautiful" - Joe's pants are unbuttoned.

The Meters > Dr. John

I just got through with nearly the whole box. Only one left to go is the infamous Mardi Gras prime-time special on the final disc. Now bring on Season Three!!!

The last episode I watched was the Buck Henry/Band episode. Typically good, a few duds, but still watchable (I don't think Buck ever hosted an unfunny episode). The Omen parody (The OintMENt) went nowhere, but it was funny seeing Buck Henry wear a hairpiece. Again, they gave Garrett Morris some silly-ass bit where he was standing by Harry Houdini's tombstone waiting for him to rise up out of the grave, but I actually laughed so evidently they did something right. The Band was about to break up, so in their last TV appearance together, they got an unheard-of FOUR songs, out of respect. You can tell this was supposed to be one of those Great Moments In Rock TV - Buck gave them a nice, drawn-out, emotional intro, and the way-we-were photo montage during "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" was touching.

The Band was about to break up, so in their last TV appearance together, they got an unheard-of FOUR songs, out of respect. You can tell this was supposed to be one of those Great Moments In Rock TV - Buck gave them a nice, drawn-out, emotional intro, and the way-we-were photo montage during "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" was touching.

So that's why. I never got into The Band and never rubbed elbows w/ cats who were into them.
    Plus I wasnt blown away by this performance. Were they "The Shit" at one time?

• The Band was about to break up, so in their last TV appearance together, they got an unheard-of FOUR songs, out of respect. You can tell this was supposed to be one of those Great Moments In Rock TV - Buck gave them a nice, drawn-out, emotional intro, and the way-we-were photo montage during "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" was touching.

So that's why. I never got into The Band and never rubbed elbows w/ cats who were into them.

Uh, yes. They still are in some circles.

One of the great albums of the 60's.

The Band was about to break up, so in their last TV appearance together, they got an unheard-of FOUR songs, out of respect. You can tell this was supposed to be one of those Great Moments In Rock TV - Buck gave them a nice, drawn-out, emotional intro, and the way-we-were photo montage during "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" was touching.

Very much so. The only songs you hear by them on classic rock radio are "The Weight" (a/k/a "take a load off Annie") and "Up On Cripple Creek," but those don't tell the whole story. During the entirety of their existence (1968-76)*** they were quite influential. They performed their last concert maybe a month after this SNL was taped, and it was quite the big deal, with guest appearances from Neil Young, Muddy Waters, I think Bob Dylan, etc.. (You can see the end results in the Last Waltz documentary.)

Myself, I like the Band, but I don't LOVE them. They were okay as far as hippie Americana goes, but I'd rather hear Creedence Clearwater Revival or the Sir Douglas Quintet for that kind of thing. The Band's Robbie Robertson was a fine songwriter, but John Fogerty (Creedence) and Doug Sahm (Sir Doug) had catchier melodies.

[color:green]***Not counting the earlier garagier years as "the Hawks" - now THAT stuff, I WILL ride for!!![/color]

Very much so. The only songs you hear by them on classic rock radio are "The Weight" (a/k/a "take a load off Annie") and "Up On Cripple Creek," but those don't tell the whole story. During the entirety of their existence (1968-76)*** they were quite influential. They performed their last concert maybe a month after this SNL was taped, and it was quite the big deal, with guest appearances from Neil Young, Muddy Waters, I think Bob Dylan, etc.. (You can see the end results in the Last Waltz documentary.)

Myself, I like the Band, but I don't LOVE them. They were okay as far as hippie Americana goes, but I'd rather hear Creedence Clearwater Revival or the Sir Douglas Quintet for that kind of thing. The Band's Robbie Robertson was a fine songwriter, but John Fogerty (Creedence) and Doug Sahm (Sir Doug) had catchier melodies.

In College, an acquiantance was like..."You never heard of Robbie Robertson and The Band?"

I've heard of 'em but was never introduced to 'em. "Take A Load Off Annie..." i got to hear plenty of times wasted at the Frat House.

Santana was

I'm in the middle of the SNL Mardi Gras special that appears on the final disc.

No spoilers, but I was reading that the Meters were scheduled to appear on that episode. However, the production was so haphazard that they didn't get a chance to do their thing. I believe this is why they appeared at the tail end of the Broderick Crawford ep, doing only one song, because they were slotted in there at the last minute (to make up for the Mardi Gras fiasco).

No spoilers, but I was reading that the Meters were scheduled to appear on that episode. However, the production was so haphazard that they didn't get a chance to do their thing. I believe this is why they appeared at the tail end of the Broderick Crawford ep, doing only one song, because they were slotted in there at the last minute (to make up for the Mardi Gras fiasco).

well they killed the Name In Lights song......

well they killed the Name In Lights song......

No lie. Was that on the New Directions album? I was seriously underwhelmed by that LP the first I heard it, but based on the SNL performance, I'm half-tempted to buy it now.

Even without the two Neville brothers, the Meters were killin' it.

Good news - they're not gonna wait till Christmas for season three of SNL. That bad boy is comin' out next month.

This would have been when the show started hitting it's stride and became what we know it as today. Blues Brothers, Swinging Czech Brothers, "Jane, you ignorant slut," Elvis Costello stopping "Less Than Zero" to play "Radio Radio," the classic opening credits where they're showing the cast walking through the streets of NYC (rather than using colorized B&W promo pix), alla that.