Anyone see The Mist yet?

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
???Above average horror movie. I would say really good in fact. Anyone else seen it yet?

Comments

• i remember liking the stephen king short story
    the trailer looks pretty good...its like "lost" except its in a super market

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I think Yuichi started a similar thread. I remember enjoying the story back in the day, but I've read some reviews that said the movie is terrible.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Okay, I made the exact same thread yesterday. I agree. Over-the-top with the CG sequences, but a powerful flick, imho. Haven't read the book, but there was an awful lot of symbolism, for the movie to be passed as just another wacky horror flick. That and maybe the fact that I hadn't been in the theaters for like half a year.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i remember liking the stephen king short story

what book is this in?
    i wonder if i read it.

i remember liking the stephen king short story

what book is this in?
    i wonder if i read it.

Skeleton Crew, published in 1985. it says.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    sorry yuich, didn't see your post, wouldn't have made a new one.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I think Yuichi started a similar thread. I remember enjoying the story back in the day, but I've read some reviews that said the movie is terrible.

I went because the SF Chronicle gave it a great review and they were right.

all good.

• Letting my colors show a little here...

but if you like his work then you should KNOW this.

They ALL come back to this.

• this movie (which i will probably not see...) makes me want to reread a bunch of Stephen King.

• this movie (which i will probably not see...) makes me want to reread a bunch of Stephen King.

Agreed. Most of his "movies" make me cringe, and not in a good way.

I can't really think of one of his stories that really translated well to the screen...?

"Stand By Me" I guess...?

I guess the biggest fault would be the movies never give you enough of the backstory or motivation, just a quick once over.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Letting my colors show a little here...

If you haven't yet, you need to check this out:

It details the connections between just about everything he ever wrote and the Dark Tower saga. I'm sure you've put much of it together yourself, but there are things in there I forgot, never read, or didn't catch because I hadn't read the Dark Tower yet. Highly recommended.

• saw it about 20 years ago

It details the connections between just about everything he ever wrote and the Dark Tower saga. I'm sure you've put much of it together yourself, but there are things in there I forgot, never read, or didn't catch because I hadn't read the Dark Tower yet. Highly recommended.

Yeah, there are a couple of DT Companions out there, I thumbed through a couple of them and totally found myself sitting down on the ground at the book store.

I SO don't want to be that guy.

But yeah - really entertaining to find all these links and nooks in his universe that tie together so obviously once you open your eyes. I've gone back and re-read a couple of books becaused I missed them or didn't really understand what was happening at the time. Really cleaver ploy to get you to buy all his books. At this point, I can almost find a connection in EVERY one of his books, even his more "reality" based stories.

My biggest beef is that I'm always looking for, at the very least, a nod to all the DT fans in his films but never have. Even that shitty "IT" could have thrown us a bone.

Letting my colors show a little here...

But yeah - really entertaining to find all these links and nooks in his universe that tie together so obviously once you open your eyes. I've gone back and re-read a couple of books becaused I missed them or didn't really understand what was happening at the time. Really cleaver ploy to get you to buy all his books. At this point, I can almost find a connection in EVERY one of his books, even his more "reality" based stories.

Ha! Dude, we're already that guy, just about records. And there actually is a connection in just about every one of his books to the Dark Tower. Some are obvious, like "The Stand", and others are very subtle. Screw buying them all, though. Dude has plenty of money. That's what libraries are for.

• I can't wait to check out the Mist.

Never read the short, but I ride for Stephen King. And Dark Tower.

I watched 1408 last night, it was kinda The original short for that one was killer. In fact, almost the entirety of Everything's Eventual is good fun.

Ha! Dude, we're already that guy, just about records. And there actually is a connection in just about every one of his books to the Dark Tower. Some are obvious, like "The Stand", and others are very subtle. Screw buying them all, though. Dude has plenty of money. That's what libraries are for.

Word. The last thing I need is two obsissions to geek-out over.

I hear you on buying the books - but thankfully his books are the equivalent of the Firestone Christmas or 101 Strings Box Sets in the thrifts.

Did anyone catch those Marvel comics about the Gunslinger?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I wish Hollywood would just man up and make "The Dark Tower" the next Star Wars/LOTR. Cash cow waiting to happen...

Wasn't JJ Abrams signed on to bring "TDT" to the big screen at one point?

I wish Hollywood would just man up and make "The Dark Tower" the next Star Wars/LOTR. Cash cow waiting to happen...

Tantalizing...

• I wish Hollywood would just man up and make "The Dark Tower" the next Star Wars/LOTR. Cash cow waiting to happen...

Yeah - King sold him the rights for the DT movie for $19.00.

Corny or Creepy?

• I was at a friend's spot in Brooklyn when this trailer popped up on the muted TV. Just from the first few sequences, I could tell it was the Mist. I'm sort of a Stephen King freak and I read Skeleton Crew back in the early 90s. I've always dreamed of this becoming a well made film. Looks pretty solid.......I'll be seeing it soon fo sho.

• The need to make all "The Bachman Books" in to films.

"Running Man" and "The Long Walk" like what.