Spats LP on Good Sounds / TK subsidiary

cardovacardova 743 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
What ya'll know about this? Seen it around now and then and knew the Japanese used to like it. Just listened to it for the first time and it's actually pretty good in 1978 soul pop type of way.

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I'm intrigued.

70's (blue-eyed/marina) soul?

Similar to Hall and Oates? John Valenti?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm intrigued.

70's (blue-eyed/marina) soul?

Similar to Hall and Oates? John Valenti?

I once saw an interview with the band Foxy from '78 where they mentioned the fact that TK had a lot of non-black soul singers in the stable. One of the members said something like (rough paraphrase):

"Yeah, we get a lot of people who expect us to be black. First they thought KC was black, but he wasn't. Then they thought Peter Brown was black, but he wasn't. And then,they thought T-Connection was black...but they were right that time!"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

"Yeah, we get a lot of people who expect us to be black. First they thought KC was black, but he wasn't. Then they thought Peter Brown was black, but he wasn't. And then,they thought T-Connection was black...but they were right that time!"

Hilarious! I used to get both the disco era Peter Browns confused...

I just know the "Do You Wanna Get Funky With Me"/"Dance With Me" Peter Brown. Who is the other?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I just know the "Do You Wanna Get Funky With Me"/"Dance With Me" Peter Brown. Who is the other?

the guy from P&P

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

A producer who, along with Patrick Adams, created P&P Records.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Are you telling me that I just stumped Pickwick[/b]?!?!?

Are you telling me that I just stumped Pickwick[/b]?!?!?

Well, disco ain't exactly my first language, bro, so you'd know that better than me!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    A cursory net search reveals that this is being re-issued on P-Vine sometime next week. Superfly Records is selling the original LP for 50 Euros; there is a clip of "Hot Summer Madness" on said website. Quite nice early boogie-sounding tune with rock-ish overtones.

Does the rest of the LP sound like this cut?

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    Yeah kinda... I listened once thru and thought there were no overtly bad songs.
    Kinda reminded me of Keane Brothers (another Japanese fave).

I'll take another listen to see if I should consider keeping it.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    Ok I listened to it again. There are defintely some bad tunes, but like 3 good ones too. Hot Summer Madness is one of them. I don't think I'll keep it, but i'll have to rip one or two before letting it go.

I guess it fits the "free soul" mold the Japanese enjoy.